Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season

Default Re: 2017 Season

Summit athlete of the week Rose Jackson, is leading the field after 4 events of the Women's Heptathlon at the UC Riverside Spring Classic in California.

She has amassed 4,134 points after the completion of 5 events.

14.34 in the 100 Hurdles (10th all-time at NDSU) (3rd best at this meet). Good for 931 points.

High Jump: 5' 1 3/4" (tied for 6th at this meet). (701 points).

In the 200 Meters, Rose clocked in at 23.87 seconds. This is the top time in the field. (933 points).

Rose was also the top performer in the Long Jump with a best of 19' 11 1/4". (874 points)

Lastly, in the shot put, her 41' 0 1/2" throw was also at the top of the list. (695 points)

These five recorded totals is: 4,194.

WAIT.......My addition is different than the UCR total.............Anywho.....................Rose is kicking ass.

Riverside T & F meet today, 3/25/17. Temperatures in the 60s, mild wind (under 10mph)

While it seemed that quite a few events had mediocre performances, there were some good ones. I was impressed with a Freshman from Utah Valley who ran a 9:32 3000m Steeplechase. NDSU's school record of about 9:48 is a pretty good time and was run by two men who were seniors and ran pretty mean mile times.

The invitation men's mile was won in about 4:15, which was not impressive - did they save everything until a fast last quarter? The men's 1500 meter was about the same pace, slightly slower. The women were better - NDSU took 1-2 in the invitation mile running about 4:53. Both ran their best ever mile times and are in the Top 10 list at NDSU.

Nice NDSU showing in the 400m, taking 1-2. Times were good but not great (55 something for both Milbraith and Woods). Meet record by the men, 47.4 by a guy from Riverside. Where was Jochim today - home sick?

Andrushko (NDSU) won the 800m in 2:10, which is a pretty decent first outdoor meet time.

400m Hurdles, a senior woman from Wisconsin ran a 59 and change, which is an very good time. A UC-Fullerton sophomore won the men's in 52 something, also pretty good.

Rose Jackson's 200m record from last year (24.02) was run over by a sophomore from Wisconsin who ran 23.68. Jackson did not run.

NDSU women took 1-2 in the pole vault, jumping 12' 5-1/2". Nice victory. Not personal bests however.

Wittmeyer, a freshman (outstanding) won the high jump in 5' 6" or so. Good future here I think. Perhaps make 6 ft by her senior season?

Looks like the throwers did not go, must have stayed in FArgo to train.

I am sure I missed someone who should have been mentioned, but those are some of the highlights that I noticed.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 03-26-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Riverside T & F meet today, 3/25/17. Temperatures in the 60s, mild wind (under 10mph)

While it seemed that quite a few events had mediocre performances, there were some good ones. I was impressed with a Freshman from Utah Valley who ran a 9:32 3000m Steeplechase. NDSU's school record of about 9:48 is a pretty good time and was run by two men who were seniors and ran pretty mean mile times.

The invitation men's mile was won in about 4:15, which was not impressive - did they save everything until a fast last quarter? The men's 1500 meter was about the same pace, slightly slower. The women were better - NDSU took 1-2 in the invitation mile running about 4:53. Both ran their best ever mile times and are in the Top 10 list at NDSU.

Nice NDSU showing in the 400m, taking 1-2. Times were good but not great (55 something for both Milbraith and Woods). Meet record by the men, 47.4 by a guy from Riverside. Where was Jochim today - home sick?

Andrushko (NDSU) won the 800m in 2:10, which is a pretty decent first outdoor meet time.

400m Hurdles, a senior woman from Wisconsin ran a 59 and change, which is an very good time. A UC-Fullerton sophomore won the men's in 52 something, also pretty good.

Rose Jackson's 200m record from last year (24.02) was run over by a sophomore from Wisconsin who ran 23.68. Jackson did not run.

NDSU women took 1-2 in the pole vault, jumping 12' 5-1/2". Nice victory. Not personal bests however.

Wittmeyer, a freshman (outstanding) won the high jump in 5' 6" or so. Good future here I think. Perhaps make 6 ft by her senior season?

Looks like the throwers did not go, must have stayed in FArgo to train.

I am sure I missed someone who should have been mentioned, but those are some of the highlights that I noticed.
    Thanks for the details on your recap! I always take a special interest in the jumpers since my wife is a hall of famer, so we are watching Miss Wittmeyer closely.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

At Stanford this past Friday, Matti Mortimore extended his NCAA season best in the javelin with a launch of 254' 2".

This is 13 inches further than his effort at Arizona State two weeks ago.

Last June in Eugene at the NCAA 2016 Outdoor Championships, sophomore Curtis Thompson of Mississippi State won the javelin event with a throw of 254' 9".

In the same meet, 2nd place went to another sophomore, Ioannis Kyriazis from Texas A & M. His best throw landed at 253' 5".

Mortimore finished 12th in the outdoor championships last June with a distance of 230' 8".

In order to be an automatic qualifier for the Olympic Games, the required distance is 252' 7".

Bison Women's Track & Field currently ranked 3rd in the Midwest Region

from gobison.com
    USTFCCCA Midwest Regional Team Rankings – Women
    1. Oklahoma
    2. Minnesota
    3. North Dakota State
    4. Nebraska
    5. Kansas State
    6. Oklahoma State
    7. Iowa
    8. Missouri
    9. Iowa State
    10. Wichita State

Bison men ranked 4th in the Midwest Region.

from gobison.com

USTFCCCA Midwest Regional Team Rankings – Men
    1. Iowa
    2. Nebraska
    3. Oklahoma
    4. North Dakota State
    5. Kansas
    6. Illinois
    7. Minnesota
    8. Missouri
    9. Iowa State
    10. Wichita State

Many good performances this past weekend at the various meets in S. Cal. One stood out for me ... Landon Jochim ran a 46.6 unofficial split in the 400m.
    There are other performances worth mentioning, but that is such a good time, I think he deserves his own post.

Another outstanding performance, and one where I think there is an interesting personal story behind it, is Alyssa Olin's javelin hurl this weekend.

Rosenau's 171 foot toss from 2016 (only a year ago) was a really good throw and I thought this would stand as an NDSU school record for awhile. But here we have a junior, so one more year yet, who breaks Rosenau's really strong javelin mark by throwing 174' 5" only a year later.

The personal story that I find interesting ... from Mott ND, population 793 (2016). Class B athlete, multi-sport participant that did well at the Class B level, although not a state champion in any sport. Runner up in the Class B state javelin twice, so this is good, really good. I don't know anything about her high school coaching, but I assume the coaches had limited knowledge about how to throw a javelin. So not much here to suggest she might be an upper echelon javelin thrower nationally three years later.
    (I do not know Olin personally, this came from her BIO at gobison.com)

Credit the coaching and the environment (pursuit of excellence) at NDSU to tease the talent out of Olin. What a super javelin performance and nice story. She is presently #8 on the NCAA national list.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 04-17-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    Thanks for the details on your recap! I always take a special interest in the jumpers since my wife is a hall of famer, so we are watching Miss Wittmeyer closely.
    Wittmayer jumped 5 feet 8.5 inches yesterday at the Lyle Hokanson meet in Fargo, a couple inches higher than her previous best.
    Great jump for a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    Wittmayer jumped 5 feet 8.5 inches yesterday at the Lyle Hokanson meet in Fargo, a couple inches higher than her previous best.
    Great jump for a freshman.

Read her bio ... learned something, she jumped 5'10" in high school. So looks like she has a great shot of upping the NDSU record of 5'11" if she progresses. Also another feel good story, like that of Olin (javelin) and Schmaltz (Watford City, several years ago, 800m). She is from Rolette, ND ... so she is from a small town, probably jumped great on talent more than on good coaching (admission: she may have had a great HJ coach in HS, but this is not common in small towns).
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 04-26-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: read her bio