Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season

Default Re: 2017 Season

from 4/27: Looks like the cold is going to get to Des Moines. High temperatures for Friday and Saturday in Des Moines are now predicted (by Natl Weather Service) to be 45-50 with 70% chance of rain on Friday and 30-60% chance on Saturday. Thursday weather is better, highs in upper 50s with some sun in the afternoon. Given how great the Drake Relays are for competition and therefore the possibility of some great performances, too bad the weather will not (likely) be conducive to great performances. Except perhaps for the 10K and possibly the 5K, the running events will likely all be hampered somewhat. Throws probably are not affected as much as the jumping and running events. This is a big downer !

from 4/24: Drake Relays this coming weekend ... weather prediction is high temperatures of 55-60, good chance of rain both Friday and Saturday.
    Not the best conditions generally for top performances.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 04-27-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: change in Natl Weather Service predictions

Dex to throw javelin for the NDSU track team. Go Dex.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    from 4/27: Looks like the cold is going to get to Des Moines. High temperatures for Friday and Saturday in Des Moines are now predicted (by Natl Weather Service) to be 45-50 with 70% chance of rain on Friday and 30-60% chance on Saturday. Thursday weather is better, highs in upper 50s with some sun in the afternoon. Given how great the Drake Relays are for competition and therefore the possibility of some great performances, too bad the weather will not (likely) be conducive to great performances. Except perhaps for the 10K and possibly the 5K, the running events will likely all be hampered somewhat. Throws probably are not affected as much as the jumping and running events. This is a big downer !

from 4/24: Drake Relays this coming weekend ... weather prediction is high temperatures of 55-60, good chance of rain both Friday and Saturday.
    Not the best conditions generally for top performances.
    The weather at Drake is the same every year. It's always raining and cold, but the performances are always good. We are here right now and getting ready to bundle up and watch the javelin at 10. Last year we saw Kirani James and LaShawn Merritt run 44.08 in 43 degree weather. The will be down, so that should help also. I will see if I can get some videos of Matti.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Dex to throw javelin for the NDSU track team. Go Dex.
    This is a great move by the big fella.

State runner up at BHS as a senior throwing 188' 3".

With coach Sinclair, and a bunch of additional training and lifting since HS......I would be willing to be bet that he'll be well over 200' by the end of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    This is a great move by the big fella.

State runner up at BHS as a senior throwing 188' 3".

With coach Sinclair, and a bunch of additional training and lifting since HS......I would be willing to be bet that he'll be well over 200' by the end of this season.
    Conference Meet is in 2 weeks. Coach is hoping for him to score points. Says he is in great basketball shape. He would be fun to watch.

The outdoor track season ends too soon for the Bison. Alas ...

It is not always true, but most of the time a persons best performances in track and field occur when the person has great competition. A person can be intimidated by it and do worse, but on the other hand a person can approach it with positive anticipation looking forward to running, throwing, jumping, with some of the best.

Perhaps I am being unfair, but I feel a let down when Drake is over because the remaining meets for most of the Bison athletes have lower levels of competition on average than some of those they had earlier in the season when they weren't peaking.

Except for those who qualify for the NCAAs, the Bison athletes don't get one more meet of top competition once we get into May and they are peaking.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    The outdoor track season ends too soon for the Bison. Alas ...

It is not always true, but most of the time a persons best performances in track and field occur when the person has great competition. A person can be intimidated by it and do worse, but on the other hand a person can approach it with positive anticipation looking forward to running, throwing, jumping, with some of the best.

Perhaps I am being unfair, but I feel a let down when Drake is over because the remaining meets for most of the Bison athletes have lower levels of competition on average than some of those they had earlier in the season when they weren't peaking.

Except for those who qualify for the NCAAs, the Bison athletes don't get one more meet of top competition once we get into May and they are peaking.
    The Conference championship is IMO the biggest meet of the year for our T&F TEAMS! Let's get out and support the tracksters next week! I will be there.

Conference meet just ended. Great performances by various people.

This has been a heck of a year for the Bison in T & F. Hats off to the coaches, and the athletes. Well done.
    And the best is yet to come - the NCAAs.

The Bison men are sending 2 Track & Field athletes and the women's team is also sending 2 (in 3 events) to the NCAA Nationals:

1. Matti Mortimore in the JAVELIN. He ranks 3rd with a 2017 best of: 254' 2". The top ranked thrower is that Greek stud, Ioannis Kyriazis from Texas A & M (288' 9")

2. Alex Renner has qualified in the SHOT PUT. He ranks 12th nationally thanks to his school record heave in the Summit Championships (64' 4 1/2").

3. Katelyn Weimerskirch is sitting at #16 in the Women's HAMMER THROW. Her best of the season thus far is: 207' 3".

4. Katelyn has also qualified in the DISCUS. Her best throw of the season is 180' 11". That ranks her 20th in the country.

5. Alyssa Olin is a Women's JAVELIN qualifier. She ranks at #11 with a season best 174' 5".

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    The Bison men are sending 2 Track & Field athletes and the women's team is also sending 2 (in 3 events) to the NCAA Nationals:

1. Matti Mortimore in the JAVELIN. He ranks 3rd with a 2017 best of: 254' 2". The top ranked thrower is that Greek stud, Ioannis Kyriazis from Texas A & M (288' 9")

2. Alex Renner has qualified in the SHOT PUT. He ranks 12th nationally thanks to his school record heave in the Summit Championships (64' 4 1/2").

3. Katelyn Weimerskirch is sitting at #16 in the Women's HAMMER THROW. Her best of the season thus far is: 207' 3".

4. Katelyn has also qualified in the DISCUS. Her best throw of the season is 180' 11". That ranks her 20th in the country.

5. Alyssa Olin is a Women's JAVELIN qualifier. She ranks at #11 with a season best 174' 5".
    Yes, congrats to those who made it to the West Preliminaries! This is a great accomplishment!