Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Fort Wayne @ the SHAC Thursday 1/19 7 pm

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fort Wayne @ the SHAC Thursday 1/19 7 pm

First time in the SHAC for a basketball game (went to wrestling vs Iowa St) and sat in section 120. Moved one section over to the east when I saw someone I knew that had open seats by him. That sightline was really nice, kind of an angled perspective. Saw Tatanka and Sav, good people. Fun place to watch a game, and agree that there was an energy in there tonight with a pretty good crowd present. Couldn't help but notice the seats on the north end and how that middle section directly behind the hoop looked pretty empty...maybe because of obstructed view?

I don't claim to know a lot about basketball, but a couple of observations I made last night. It seems like NDSU is a perimeter team and I'm not sure why they don't go inside more often. Dex seems pretty slick around the hoop, great feet and a strong kid with a nice touch. I've always thought it was a good thing to establish the inside to open up more from outside, if anything to get some bigs in foul trouble. Also, I was saying all night that AJ needs to drive to the hoop, the kid is long and has good body control when in the air. I've heard other in the past mention wanting him to assert himself a bit more and I agree.

That fire alarm was a game saver, IPFW was shooting lights out up to that point and cooled off quite a bit after the break. Evans being out was big thing there at the end, kid is a baller. The energy picked up down the stretch and I even found myself yelling when we were on defense, just like I do at football games. Had a good time all in all.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 13>1 View Post
    First time in the SHAC for a basketball game (went to wrestling vs Iowa St) and sat in section 120. Moved one section over to the east when I saw someone I knew that had open seats by him. That sightline was really nice, kind of an angled perspective. Saw Tatanka and Sav, good people. Fun place to watch a game, and agree that there was an energy in there tonight with a pretty good crowd present. Couldn't help but notice the seats on the north end and how that middle section directly behind the hoop looked pretty empty...maybe because of obstructed view?

I don't claim to know a lot about basketball, but a couple of observations I made last night. It seems like NDSU is a perimeter team and I'm not sure why they don't go inside more often. Dex seems pretty slick around the hoop, great feet and a strong kid with a nice touch. I've always thought it was a good thing to establish the inside to open up more from outside, if anything to get some bigs in foul trouble. Also, I was saying all night that AJ needs to drive to the hoop, the kid is long and has good body control when in the air. I've heard other in the past mention wanting him to assert himself a bit more and I agree.

That fire alarm was a game saver, IPFW was shooting lights out up to that point and cooled off quite a bit after the break. Evans being out was big thing there at the end, kid is a baller. The energy picked up down the stretch and I even found myself yelling when we were on defense, just like I do at football games. Had a good time all in all.
    We love our corner seats. Good view.
    I always wonder why they dont drive to the basket more. You either get a basket or a foul. Miller did say at the end, coach said no more threes.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Maybe Richman should consult Tim Polasek about play calling/design???
    Some games our offense looks like he already has....

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Then they need to turn the schedule into something people can plan around. Wed/Thursday games aren't going to get fans there. Kolpack wrote an article on this which he proposed the solution which probably put him on el chapos black list permanently if he wasn't already.

My seats were open, offered up my tickets and had no takers. I have season tickets and have yet even been in the new SHAC yet. Weeknight games with 2 young kids is not ideal. Hoping to get there in February now that there are a couple Saturday games. Actually bought tickets for the kids too so gives me incentive to go!
    You play two games a week usually in conference.

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    We love our corner seats. Good view.
    I always wonder why they dont drive to the basket more. You either get a basket or a foul. Miller did say at the end, coach said no more threes.
    Yeah, I love when they drive and create, kick out if it's there, draw contact and get to the line (which they did pretty well with last night and 20+FT attempts). It's hard to not enjoy seeing a team bury a bunch of 3's, but I'm a bit more old school where I appreciate good passing inside and a physical game around the glass. Did anyone see that pass from Evans to that big of theirs where he put a bunch of English on it to get it to him? Great play.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Richman changed up the defense in the last six minutes or so of the game. Dex was out defending the ball on the perimeter and that really disrupted what Fort Wayne had going all night.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Richman changed up the defense in the last six minutes or so of the game. Dex was out defending the ball on the perimeter and that really disrupted what Fort Wayne had going all night.
    I did notice that change in D. It worked because Dex has good feet and big enough not to be able to see over. Plus their big guys were not all that good.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

That was a extremely well played game last night by both teams. Both shot lights out, minimal turnovers and good play. Glad Konchar had an off night. The dunk he tried that Dex blocked as a great play by both. They gave each other some love when they went to the other end. Even saw FW players a couple of time put out a hand to help our guys up off the floor. Only pimple on the night was Scott getting the T. His coach gave him the business about it also.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Agreed that probably would help some especially out of towners coming in.

His main issue was there was no rhyme or reason to it. Put a rhyme to schedule then people can show up. But when you have something on Tues, Mon, Wed, Sat, Thursday people usually schedule things on this day of the week I want to do this. When there is no rhythm to the schedule they don't plan it out as well.

If the schedule was somewhat set whatever days it was I bet it would increase attendance here is my point.

True and I looked at my schedule and gave away some and sold the UND ones because I knew I wasn't going to be there. Granted I didn't do much legwork on the IPFW game other than post here and ask a couple people and not denying I could have done more. Plus just don't think Fargo in general is a basketball town where we have a bunch of basketball crazies, and the ones that are, busy going to HS games possibly?

That said I'm planning on keeping my tickets unless it becomes an issue where I can't hold them anymore.
    There is a rhyme to the schedule. Summit has a Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday conference season. The featured games are Wednesday and occasionally they put a Sunday at the discretion of ESPN(3). It's what allowed the Summit to get an ESPN contract. If NDSU ever moved to a mid-major conference with a better TV contract they would probably have morning Saturday games or even Sunday evening.

I think the student section was great since it was full. They just need to remember that they are the student section. 2 years removed from campus, there was no real student section at Scheels Arena. The students need to go back to what they were doing 2 years ago and previous and stand the whole game and get rowdy and therefore getting the rest of the crowd rowdy. Where are the yell leaders and why are they not making this happen. Make the student section great again!!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN