Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 v IUP: DII Title Game

Default 1990 v IUP: DII Title Game

I think about this quite often but in 1990, NDSU had a completely dominant season and scored 5 TDs in the third quarter to win NDSU's 8th national championship, and NDSU's fifth in the eight years.

If somebody had told me that NDSU would go over TWO FREAKING DECADES before winning another national title, I'd have just snorted and rolled my eyes, or possibly just stared, because there are some statements so stupid that even I don't bother arguing with the person making them.

Let me tell you - 21 years is a long time, but 21 years without a national title game is an ocean of time even if the DI move and subsequent big wins took a lot of sting out of that. It's easy to get jaded, but it is much more satisfying by far to enjoy these moments. That's my Bisonville New Year's thought, fwiw.

Default Re: 1990 v IUP: DII Title Game

And only making it to the semifinal game just once in that timespan.
    It's OK to not be OK.

The head coach at IUP at the time was Frank Cignetti. You-know-who's dad.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was at that game and certainly concur that it seemed like we were ready to keep the momentum going for years to come. For a bit, I thought that perhaps the FFD had cursed the team.
    Insert something clever here...

If someone told me, we would have a chance to win more National Championships (9) than we won in D2 (8) within 13 years being eligible for the playoffs...

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I think about this quite often but in 1990, NDSU had a completely dominant season and scored 5 TDs in the third quarter to win NDSU's 8th national championship, and NDSU's fifth in the eight years.

If somebody had told me that NDSU would go over TWO FREAKING DECADES before winning another national title, I'd have just snorted and rolled my eyes, or possibly just stared, because there are some statements so stupid that even I don't bother arguing with the person making them.

Let me tell you - 21 years is a long time, but 21 years without a national title game is an ocean of time even if the DI move and subsequent big wins took a lot of sting out of that. It's easy to get jaded, but it is much more satisfying by far to enjoy these moments. That's my Bisonville New Year's thought, fwiw.
    That home playoff drought was crazy too. First home playoff game in FFD history didn't come until 2010 against Bob Morris....and I believe it opened in '93.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by 16>1 View Post
    That home playoff drought was crazy too. First home playoff game in FFD history didn't come until 2010 against Bob Morris....and I believe it opened in '93.
    I have enjoyed the evolution of your name
    8 >1

hopefully 17>1

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    The head coach at IUP at the time was Frank Cignetti. You-know-who's dad.
    Was he a bitch too?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I was at that game and certainly concur that it seemed like we were ready to keep the momentum going for years to come. For a bit, I thought that perhaps the FFD had cursed the team.
    Rotten apples cursed the team

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Was he a bitch too?
    Frank Cignetti Sr. was awesome, very old school - he's in the College Football Hall of Fame too.

And my approval of the youngster Cignetti went up a little since he didn't scream at any of players this last game. Couldn't even get a screenshot of him looking like a serial killer.