Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jake Leingang to NDSU

Default Re: Jake Leingang to NDSU

Welcome Jake! He made the right decision to come back to North Dakota.

He will benefit from having a competitive schedule. When Doug Hanson ran, he won everytime he PR'd. 14:12 at The Kansas Relays and 29:53 at Drake.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    Welcome Jake! He made the right decision to come back to North Dakota.

He will benefit from having a competitive schedule. When Doug Hanson ran, he won everytime he PR'd. 14:12 at The Kansas Relays and 29:53 at Drake.
    Great point. The move to DI has already been outstanding for women's track - as if the increased competition has brought out their best and we're starting to see it on the men's side too.

when does he start participating?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

NDSU Track & Field
    ‏@NDSUTrackField

SCHOOL RECORD!
    In his Bison debut, junior Jake Leingang runs 8:06.18 for a new NDSU all-time best & wins the 3,000m at Nebraska.
    https://twitter.com/NDSUTrackField/s...68830285721600
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    NDSU Track & Field
    ‏@NDSUTrackField

SCHOOL RECORD!
    In his Bison debut, junior Jake Leingang runs 8:06.18 for a new NDSU all-time best & wins the 3,000m at Nebraska.
    ... https://twitter.com/NDSUTrackField/s...68830285721600
    This is a great run by Jake ! Much Congratulations

By the end of this season or next he should eclipse Mike Slack's best time at this distance. Slack ran an 8:41 two-mile in 1972, meaning he crossed the 3000 meter mark at 8:05.6 if he ran an even pace. The two-mile is about 200m longer than the 3000m.

I believe Roger Schewegal ran something like an 8:47 two-mile in '72 or '73, which would be about an 8:11 to 8:12 3000m.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    This is a great run by Jake ! Much Congratulations

By the end of this season or next he should eclipse Mike Slack's best time at this distance. Slack ran an 8:41 two-mile in 1972, meaning he crossed the 3000 meter mark at 8:05.6 if he ran an even pace. The two-mile is about 200m longer than the 3000m.

I believe Roger Schewegal ran something like an 8:47 two-mile in '72 or '73, which would be about an 8:11 to 8:12 3000m.
    Kind of a cool blog entry about Mike Slack: http://northdakotarunner.blogspot.co...you-might.html

He's the only guy to run a sub 4-minute mile on North Dakota soil - and he did it INDOORS at the BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Kind of a cool blog entry about Mike Slack: http://northdakotarunner.blogspot.co...you-might.html

He's the only guy to run a sub 4-minute mile on North Dakota soil - and he did it INDOORS at the BSA.
    That is a nice blog on Slack. I heard he ran a 1500m in Germany when he was in his prime, against some of the best runners in the world. The story goes that the pace for the first 700m was really slow, so with 800m to go the runners took off. I believe Slack won that race, ran the last 800m in something like 1:45, which is a little insane.

From the blog: "Some would say that the 70s and 80s were the prime-time for distance running in this area." I think there is merit in this claim, although from 2000 to 2010 NDSU had the best corps of 800m runners the university ever had. In the 70s and 80s NDSU had Slack, Kampa, Eide, Bollman, Bacon, Hoaby, Krieg, Paal, Schwegel, and Gervino. All of these were All-Americans OR qualified for the NCAA national T&F meet with (I believe) all but one making it into the finals of their event. In addition to this, Moorhead State had a guy, I think his name was Joel Jorgenson, who also went to the NCAAs in the 1500m and it was about this time that the University of Jamestown had Rollie Greeno Jr. All of these NDSU athletes are or have been in the Top 10 of their respective events.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 01-30-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    That is a nice blog on Slack. I heard he ran a 1500m in Germany when he was in his prime, against some of the best runners in the world. The story goes that the pace for the first 700m was really slow, so with 800m to go the runners took off. I believe Slack won that race, ran the last 800m in something like 1:45, which is a little insane.

From the blog: "Some would say that the 70s and 80s were the prime-time for distance running in this area." I think there is merit in this claim, although from 2000 to 2010 NDSU had the best corps of 800m runners the university ever had. In the 70s and 80s NDSU had Slack, Kampa, Eide, Bollman, Bacon, Hoaby, Krieg, Paal, Schwegel, and Gervino. All of these were All-Americans OR qualified for the NCAA national T&F meet with (I believe) all but one making it into the finals of their event. In addition to this, Moorhead State had a guy, I think his name was Joel Jorgenson, who also went to the NCAAs in the 1500m and it was about this time that the University of Jamestown had Rollie Greeno Jr. All of these NDSU athletes are or have been in the Top 10 of their respective events.
    That is a great list. You can even include Randy Lussenden, Tom Stambaugh, Paul LeBlanc, Doug Hanson, and John Shurb. Also Moorhead State had John Alin, Greg Zahalka, Chris Ericson, and Kelly Mortenson. Concordia even had a guy in the mid 80's but his name escapes me.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    That is a great list. You can even include Randy Lussenden, Tom Stambaugh, Paul LeBlanc, Doug Hanson, and John Shurb. Also Moorhead State had John Alin, Greg Zahalka, Chris Ericson, and Kelly Mortenson. Concordia even had a guy in the mid 80's but his name escapes me.
    There is one more guy from the early 70s. He was an SAE and its not Keith Peltier. First name Don? Hes having dementia issues now.

Ok Don Murray was his name.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 02-01-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    First name Don? Hes having dementia issues now.
    Sounds like he's not the only one.
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.