Page 22 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: x a possible candidate for y job

Default Re: Klieman a possible candidate for Gophers job

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Kelly won D2 titles, he was an accomplished coach before ever setting foot in the FBS. Meyer went from the MAC to the Mountain West, where he proved he was the real deal.

Again what is Fleck's big win? Seems like people want to give him credit for going toe to toe with Wisconsin.
    Duping UM to the tune of 21,000,000. I would call that a big win.

mango is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    The "Row the Boat" trade mark is owned by WMU I believe.
    Correct, Row the Boat isn't coming to Dinkytown

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    "Ski U Mah" apparently has its origins in boat rowing.

U of M Rugby captain John Adams had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He incorrectly interpreted that phrase as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation and suggested it as a cheer for the University rugby team. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!" The slogan has been used to cheer on the Minnesota Golden Gophers athletics teams, and was written into the lyrics of University songs including the "Minnesota Rouser", "Go Gopher Victory", "Minnesota Fight" and "Minnesota March".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski-U-Mah_(slogan)

Also fitting that its origins include misinterpreting victory.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Pull the Train!

It's "join the train!" or "all aboard! (no consent needed)
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    The AD at wmu expects pj to obtain those from the university
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    Now the WMU boards are starting to jump on the Coach K to WMU train.
    WMU has a better shot at getting Kill than Kleiman. Weird that Fleck and Kill coached together but then Fleck went to Rutgers and Kill ended up at UM. Now Kill is at Rutgers and Fleck is at UM.

Wonder why Fleck and Kill parted ways? Anyone know?

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    The AD at wmu expects pj to obtain those from the university
    Wonder if he can afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    I wonder if Fleck will go with a different catch phrase for his new job? Instead of "row the boat" maybe he could use a new phrase that speaks to the Minnesota fan base. How about "Cast the lure!" or "Pass the salt!"? Hmmm.... these need little work. Suggestions?
    Don't the Gophers have something like "Brick by Brick" to go along with the bricks you can see in the numbers on their jerseys?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Go more with a flood theme..... SANDBAG IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    What is his best win as a coach? Toledo? Middle Tenn State? My comment has more to do with MN then Fleck, they wanted to transform their football program. Not sure hiring the next flavor of the year MAC coach is the answer.

They could have hired a coach that has won an FBS national championship. I'm not saying Les Miles is amazing, sometimes his coaching leaves me scratching my head but he has won a ton of big games.
    Les Miles is an amazing recruiter. His coaching ability was always suspect. His win totals are a direct result of having the most talented teams on the field. That was what I find interesting about him and thought would put him at the top of any list for the gophers. The west is obviously the weaker of the two B10 divisions, talent will win you games in spite of coaching, and I don't know if he would have cost all that much more than Fleck. Miles has never gotten a program in trouble. The gopher administration would simply have to sit back and let him do his thing.

I really don't know enough about Fleck to know if he is the answer. Miles certainly would have not only been the safe choice, it probably would have been the best choice for where this program is at right now. I said it before, the gophers need seats filled, excitement in the stands, and hope. Miles would have delivered all of this. I am also guessing if there was any conversation between the gophers and any coach the gophers were saying they want a 6 year contract. Miles may not have been interested in that being a starting point. While his start was in the B10, maybe the only job he would ever take in the B10 is Michigan.

I wold have gone after Miles even knowing his coaching ability is questionable. His recruiting ability alone would be worth it. The stability of 10 win seasons on the back of superior talent would be worth it. The occasional flirtation with the CFP would be worth it. Miles could bring that. At some point, the gophers have to quit looking at themselves as a stepping stone program and actually just decide to be good. It could happen.