Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: IUPUI @ the SHAC, 7 pm Thurs 1/5

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: IUPUI @ the SHAC, 7 pm Thurs 1/5

Three games into Summit play I just figured I'd share my thoughts on the guys contributing after last night. First one being hats off to Khy, I've been hard on him for shooting too much when he's been struggling but he hit a couple early then had to sit about the last 9 minutes of the first half with 2 fouls. Combs had yet to score when he left the game, Khy's on the ball defense has been absolutely fantastic and he showed it again last night. Then he came out fresh in the second half and went on an absolute terror on the offensive end. If he can keep shooting that well we are going to be a tough team to stop.

AJ - nice to see the aggressive AJ back, I knew he was going to have a good night when on the opening possession he badly bricked a 3 and then came down on the next possession and confidently pulled the trigger again and buried it. Early season AJ wouldn't have taken that second shot as he would've been timid from missing the first one

Dex - did everything he could to help us win last night, did a very good job passing out of the double team, I don't think he turned it over at all in a double team situation just the 5 second call previously mentioned which was just a bonehead play all he had to do was dribble. He will continue to be a force in the Summit League

Samuelson & Ward - continue to improve and give us very important minutes, both guys appear to play with more confidence every game and should give us great depth down the stretch

Geu - so much talent but still so raw, makes a lot of careless mistakes on offense and can get a little lost on defense sometimes but as he continues to improve so will this team, his athleticism can't be denied

Paul Miller - Miller is our best all around player and has been playing fantastic during the last few games. Scary moment with the rolled ankle last night but he showed his toughness playing through it, when LA tweeted him being the POY in the Summit that wasn't a joke, he could very well finish that way if he keeps up this pace, he's been filling the stat sheet.

Dupree - Can't say enough about him, after the fiasco last year he has come back and learned is role and played it to the best of his ability. Very good defender and the guy who's hands we put the ball in at the end of the shot clock because he is incredibly difficult to stop from getting in the lane

Dylan Miller - He's the one guy I still find myself face palming about a lot, as mentioned earlier in this thread 3 or 4 times he got a great pass 8 ft from the basket with nobody between him, take a dribble and go up strong big fella...needs to be more offensive minded and aggressive instead of looking to pass out of there as fast as he can. Has been fairly solid on defense though so if we can get him to finish some things underneath and get some points when filling in for Dex we are in very good shape at that spot.

Obviously the big downfall last night was giving up far too many offensive boards, it was quite simply too much rotation on our defense leaving guys out of position to box out on the back end of the shot, Dave mentioned it in the post game press conference so I'm quite positive we'll get those things sorted out. Free throws throughout most of the game were great, need to shoot better at the end though to put them away. All in all we are 3-0 and I don't think we've come close to playing a complete game to our potential so if we can just continue to improve while still winning I'll take it all season long and watch us play for the Dance on Tuesday in Sioux Falls.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Not sure if it only changed at the D2 level, but I'm 99% positive that they changed the rule regarding dribbling while being guarded. I believe the rule is now how it is overseas, where you can dribble as long as you want regardless of how closely guarded you are, with the idea essentially being that if you're able to avoid turning it over under aggressive defense, more power to you. You still can't hold it for more than 5 seconds without dribbling though, regardless as to whether or not you've already dribbled (as mtoutfitter noted in a previous post).
    This is correct, there's no more closely guarded call as long as you're dribbling, only if you are holding the ball. I just watched a game the other night where they ran down the clock when there was about 25 seconds left and the PG stood just across half court dribbling with the defender right there for over 15 seconds before finally running the play.

Dylan is a tough one to read, he is big and has talent but looks lost or not interested at times. I think the staff thinks his ceiling is much higher then Spencer and with Dex not being around next season they need to progress him. I still wish we could find some minutes for Spencer, I thought at times he played really well during the non-conference and always played hard but is just really limited offensively. For whatever reason though when we Start Dylan and bring Dex off the bench we seem to play better, so cant fault the coaches for making the change.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    This is correct, there's no more closely guarded call as long as you're dribbling, only if you are holding the ball. I just watched a game the other night where they ran down the clock when there was about 25 seconds left and the PG stood just across half court dribbling with the defender right there for over 15 seconds before finally running the play.
    I stand corrected; I was referencing the NFHS rule; not applicable to the NCAA. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Doesn't matter....you can't hold the ball for more than 5 seconds while being closely guarded without doing something....
    I wasnt intending to have an argument. It seemed pretty quick.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

With Dylan and Geu spending long stretches on the bench, we continue to get killed on the boards. a 6'6 center, and AJ at the 4 does not work when you are getting your a$$ handed to you on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I still don't get why he is even on the court. And why don't Eliason or Wesenberg ever play? Are they worse then Miller?? If so wtf are they doing on the team???
    They arent very good. Although Eliason hustles more than D Miller IMO

I hope the coaches are scouring the JUCO ranks for a big, I know they are tough to get but the team needs some depth in the front court next year. Also some toughness and rebounding, the drop off is just way too big after Dex.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

I can see the argument on Dylan and Spencer but I think they both know their roles. They know they are not in the game to be relied on to score but for rebounding and rim protection which they do OK job with. I believe they will pick it up as they progress and can see them being both average to above average bigs for the Summit(Senior Year). I know neither are pretty to watch right now and yes I think they both can be a bit more aggressive and at least show some emotion out there on the court. Dylan did have some nice passes that were pretty dog gone impressive on Thursday for a Big.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I hope the coaches are scouring the JUCO ranks for a big, I know they are tough to get but the team needs some depth in the front court next year. Also some toughness and rebounding, the drop off is just way too big after Dex.

NEED A BIG BOY DOWN LOW WITH A MEAN STREAK>.. 6 8 280lber type.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?