Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the current state of the FCS really just the old DII days rebranded?

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is the current state of the FCS really just the old DII days rebranded?

One thing I don't hear mentioned in this argument is the type of player that would be required to compete in the next division. I think you're gonna be looking at a different type of player, especially at the skill positions.....possibly more inner city type kids? With that type of kid comes baggage, will possible problems be tolerated by the citizens of the F-M area, even by statewide/regional fans?

Also will that type of kid buy into the whole Bison culture....I'm guessing a lot of them won't. Kids I see at the upper level programs seem to be more "it's all about me/what can you do for me" .......

Personally I like the kind of kids they have now that seem to buy into the Bison culture and try to help instill it into those that come after them.....just my two cents.

P.S. Possibly put this in the wrong thread but most of em seem to evolve into this discussion anyway so I'm not sure it matters.
    Last edited by mtoutfitter; 12-28-2016 at 07:10 PM. Reason: PS
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is the current state of the FCS really just the old DII days rebranded?

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    One thing I don't hear mentioned in this argument is the type of player that would be required to compete in the next division. I think you're gonna be looking at a different type of player, especially at the skill positions.....possibly more inner city type kids? With that type of kid comes baggage, will possible problems be tolerated by the citizens of the F-M area, even by statewide/regional fans?

Also will that type of kid buy into the whole Bison culture....I'm guessing a lot of them won't. Kids I see at the upper level programs seem to be more "it's all about me/what can you do for me" .......

Personally I like the kind of kids they have now that seem to buy into the Bison culture and try to help instill it into those that come after them.....just my two cents.

P.S. Possibly put this in the wrong thread but most of em seem to evolve into this discussion anyway so I'm not sure it matters.
    Some truth in what your saying but CJ, Marcus, Colten, and Christian were P5 skill players playing Bison ball and never had those issues

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Some truth in what your saying but CJ, Marcus, Colten, and Christian were P5 skill players playing Bison ball and never had those issues
    Not trying to argue but I'd hardly call Dudzick or Heagle inner city type kids....not even CJ who comes from the Burbs in Savage. Yep, could say that about Marcus...no issues that I know of, but increase the roster size and chances are gonna go way up when recruiting a different type of kid.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not trying to argue but I'd hardly call Dudzick or Heagle inner city type kids....not even CJ who comes from the Burbs in Savage. Yep, could say that about Marcus...no issues that I know of, but increase the roster size and chances are gonna go way up when recruiting a different type of kid.
    I'm not saying they are inner city kids, I'm saying they don't need to recruit a different type of person/place to get solid FBS talent with good character. If they moved up they probably would have a better shot at landing athletes from around the country though

Lol just win baby.

On a serious note, there is no rule that you need to recruit trashy people at the FBS level.

I bet they get in trouble at a similar rate to FCS schools...but people are more likely to give a shit if it happens at am FBS school.
    College of Business Alumnus

also academics.

i think ndsu would do just fine doing what it's doing. probably get a few guys who get hung up on the FBS/FCS thing that we don't now.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I've kind of thought the same thing. When you turn a game on, it seems like all FCS schools used to be Division II in the 80's. The rules with scholarships is about the same.

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Yea move up already. It's been fun going for championships, and Bowl games do suck. But move up and make a run for the big time. Be that program that creates a stir in the playoff selection committee by dominating those mid major conferences year after year. I'm sick and tired of these big games, even though they are fun, playing no name teams in the college football world. College football doesn't know or care who James Madison is. They don't care who Jacksonville St is. They care who Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida St are.

They also care who Boise St, Houston, San Diego St, and Temple are. If you can build your program into the best of your conference year after year and put wrenches in the selection committee's process by making them sweat in winning every week, they will care about you. NDSU can be a program like this.
    Serious Clark? It wouldn't matter if we were undefeated and won the MAC or Mountain West every year. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that the selection committee would consider us or any other school in those Crappy Leagues.

If you are not from a P5 conference you have ZERO shot..period.

BTW no one cares about SDSU or Temple..you are kidding yourself. Just like no ones cares about Bowling Green, Wyoming, Ball State, ECT.....

Now when the G5 schools start there own Playoff which they are currently looking at then you have something to move up to. Until then we don't...

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Serious Clark? It wouldn't matter if we were undefeated and won the MAC or Mountain West every year. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that the selection committee would consider us or any other school in those Crappy Leagues.

If you are not from a P5 conference you have ZERO shot..period.

BTW no one cares about SDSU or Temple..you are kidding yourself. Just like no ones cares about Bowling Green, Wyoming, Ball State, ECT.....

Now when the G5 schools start there own Playoff which they are currently looking at then you have something to move up to. Until then we don't...
    Bingo and like i said....FBS g5 is not moving down to fcs. If we are to be in the second-tier of football as our administrators have said that is where we need to be........ndsu has gotta move up to the FBS G5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/group-o...163808257.html

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Bingo and like i said....FBS g5 is not moving down to fcs. If we are to be in the second-tier of football as our administrators have said that is where we need to be........ndsu has gotta move up to the FBS G5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/group-o...163808257.html
    If talks go through like they will and they do end up with a playoff for the G5, NDSU will then be in a D3 type scenario. It will be Division 3, tier 3, level 3, call it whatever you want but it will be a 3rd tier type.