Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the current state of the FCS really just the old DII days rebranded?

Default Re: Is the current state of the FCS really just the old DII days rebranded?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    FCS is the 2nd level of college football.

All FBS programs are playing for the same prize. It's unfortunate that the G5 programs are like the geeks who think the cool kids might just invite them too the party. It's sad really. You'd like to feel sorry for them but their stupidity is their own problem.

The "market" is already sending them signals that they aren't smart enough to understand. The Sun Belt TV contract renewed at something like 10% of the previous contract? Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then why does a shared label that splits the FBS into two groups (G5-P5) exist? As pointed out, you could easily split the FCS into two groups; Yet, no terminology exists to do this. The current reality as of right now is that there are three D1 levels.

Top FBS P5
    Middle FBS G5
    Bottom FCS

The debate is this should certain teams in the FCS be hanging out with the G5 FBS kids. The reality is this....Despite what some of the one-off teams have done, the FBS G5 teams are not going to drop down to the 3rd level. More likely, the G5 will form their own club at the 2nd level. NDSU leadership suggests we should be at the 2nd level. However, that was based on the the FBS brekaing up. The realaity is that all of the resons some of use to argue not moving up are not going to go away even if an offical split between G5 & P5 occures. The cost and benfit are going to be the same (less the FCS becomes the a more expensive version of DII..if that happens jumping is a no brainer)

Regardless, what we need to do to decide is if the cost of moving from the 3rd level of FB up to the 2nd level of FB is worth it.

What I have done is to try and set up a decision model that we might use to make a rational decision versus inganging in this endless loop of tit for tat. I think this can be done by examing what we know based on our f last jump..... is it worth it to jump

I think we all agree jumping to FCS was a good thing. It looks like we also agree the primary difference is such
    1 The resources needed to compete is greater
    2. The entire product is much better
    3. The University and Community/State exposure is much greater
    4. The FCS is slowly turning into the D11 (the teams that have left and might move up)

So the next question are these.
    1. How much more money do we spend now (FCS) than before (Dii)?
    2. On a scale of 1-10 how much better is the total product?
    3. On a scale of 1-10 how much greater has the exposure been
    4. at what point is the FCS a more expensive version of DII.....I don't know how to quantify this yet
    Last edited by MAKBison; 12-28-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Is the current state of the FCS really just the old DII days rebranded?

The ROI has been massive for the move up. There is no question on that and I'm sure someone to come up with the analyses. How much more value is there in FCS is a good question, but I don't see anything going G5 that would be of value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    The ROI has been massive for the move up. There is no question on that and I'm sure someone to come up with the analyses. How much more value is there in FCS is a good question, but I don't see anything going G5 that would be of value.
    The ONLY value I can see in a G5 move is to allow the B1G more losses to us. Other than that, I don't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    The ONLY value I can see in a G5 move is to allow the B1G more losses to us. Other than that, I don't see anything.
    And that equates to a lot more exposure and possibly higher quality player etc.

Thats why you create a model so you can actually see the value.

All you/ we are doing is guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    Well we can pretty much predict that the quality of ball wii improve, there will be more exposure and it's going to cost more...... we can pretty much expect the same results we got moving up from D2 to fcs.

However the improvements are not going to be as significant... Most likely

And, the costs are going to be much higher... Most likely

The decision needs to be made in that cost benefit ratio. We might find that staying in the third level of football is much better than moving to the second level or we might find that the cost is worth the jump... But we need to run the numbers. all we are doing now is guessing.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As long as we are performing our rightful duty as fans and analyzing and voicing conclusions of stuff we have no control over anyways, I'm thinking we should come up with a gameplan or method of convincing current FCS teams not to jump ship and advertising to current G5's to get them to move to FCS. Notice I didn't say move DOWN to FCS because so much of it is perceptual. It a move down based on national mindsets and they have a overall better level of competition. Yet, FCS has a FAR superior system and if more of the good G5 programs moved to FCS it would easily be a better product than G5. Earlier I mentioned imagining a playoffs with NDSU, Houston, UNI, Jacks, Cincinatti, UCF, JMU, GA Southern, EW, Boise St. and the list goes on. It would be an awesome slate of football games. But also consider how much recruits love playoffs. The FCS playoffs are currently a recruiting tool. Both FCS schools and more so, G5 schools already beat P5 schools for the occasional 2-4 star recruits. If the merger with playoffs started P5 would lose even more recruits as that playoff system increased in popularity/notoriety. Kids love playoffs and you would see some shift in recruit talent/distribution.

F*** it let's go B1G or go home! Who says we can't win championships against the big boys like 'bama? All we need is about $100 Billion let's start a go fund me page! Who's with me???

What kind of increased exposure are you looking for? If you want more games on national TV, get prepared for 11:00 AM kickoffs or weeknight games. Playing in a bowl game might get some more exposure, but it it worth giving up playoff games for those of use who follow the Bison.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    F*** it let's go B1G or go home! Who says we can't win championships against the big boys like 'bama? All we need is about $100 Billion let's start a go fund me page! Who's with me???
    Sorry, you go ahead and live in the past. FCS is essentially the old DII.

Yea move up already. It's been fun going for championships, and Bowl games do suck. But move up and make a run for the big time. Be that program that creates a stir in the playoff selection committee by dominating those mid major conferences year after year. I'm sick and tired of these big games, even though they are fun, playing no name teams in the college football world. College football doesn't know or care who James Madison is. They don't care who Jacksonville St is. They care who Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida St are.

They also care who Boise St, Houston, San Diego St, and Temple are. If you can build your program into the best of your conference year after year and put wrenches in the selection committee's process by making them sweat in winning every week, they will care about you. NDSU can be a program like this.