Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anish Shroff's Thoughts on Fargo and NDSU

Default Anish Shroff's Thoughts on Fargo and NDSU

Not sure if it's okay to quote an entire facebook post. I'm sure The Angry Elf will correct me if not. This is from Anish's facebook page:

Three years ago I set foot in Fargo, North Dakota for the first time.
    As someone who grew up in the shadow of New York City, most cities look small to me. Fargo just seemed distant. It felt like a remote snowy oasis in a wilderness of nothingness. It was Wuthering Heights meets Lost Horizon. I remember staring intently out the window as the plane made its descent. I saw miles and miles of snow and my thought bubble read "WHERE AM I???"

That first day, the bitter December frost sent a shock through my body the second I got off the plane. When I exited the airport to grab my rental car, I probably muttered a few expletives. It was a Molotov cocktail of cold, wind, and hangriness.
    That weekend, I checked out the tourist center and got my picture taken with the woodchipper. After all, the movie, 'Fargo', was my only reference point for my temporary stay. I found out quickly many of the locals hated the movie. They felt it was a caricature. But the very next morning I went to a local diner for "flapjacks" and was offered a side of toast - pronounced "toeeee-st." I even met a Gunderson.
    The Yankees fan in me took a detour to the Roger Maris museum and then I was off to the Fargodome to call a game. It was a semifinal tilt between North Dakota State and New Hampshire. I heard it could get loud but capacity was about 19,000. "How loud could it really get?" I wondered.
    Both New Hampshire and I found out right away. The crowd impacted the game from the onset. New Hampshire struggled with false start penalties. A bad snap led to a turnover. Miscommunication complicated matters and the game got out of hand quickly. 19,000 sounded like 90,000.
    I was blown away by the passion and the intelligence of the fans. They probably impacted the game by 10-14 points. When the home team had the ball, you could only hear the sound of silence. When the visitors had the ball, you heard a cacophony of chaos. You could not even hear your thoughts.
    I returned to Fargo a few times after the first visit... six more times to be exact. I learned a few things. I learned that while Fargo might be the coldest place in America, Fargoans might have the warmest hearts. The people make this place. America needs more people like the ones I encountered in Fargo. They were friendly, giving, helpful, kind, compassionate, appreciative and encouraging.
    From the hotel staff, to the folks working the rental counter, to wait staff, to strangers who pointed me in the right direction, the hospitality was overwhelmingly positive. On social media, the fans seemed overly appreciative of our coverage and our willingness to document North Dakota State's historical run (the Bison - pronounced Bizon - would win five consecutive championships).
    I saw what a football team meant to a community. North Dakota State is a part of Fargo's connective tissue. They are to Fargo what the Packers are to Green Bay - right down to the color scheme. This was more than just civic pride in success. This was a cultural phenomenon.
    On my most recent trip, some James Madison fans were on the flight. JMU was set to face North Dakota State in the semifinals. The North Dakota State fans repeatedly wished the visitors luck. They gave them places to eat and things to do. They offered up phone numbers and email addresses if the visitors had questions. These were strangers, but it meant a lot to the locals to see the strangers enjoy their time in Fargo. As someone who grew up on Yankees-Red Sox, "good luck" would be the last thing you'd say to the fan of the other team.
    North Dakota State lost the game on Friday. Truth be told, if that game was played ten times, James Madison wins 8 times. The better team won that night. JMU's win ended the greatest five-year run in college football history. That night our crew went out after the game for a meal. Fans were mostly upbeat. They comprehended the totality of what happened. Sure it was a tough night for them, but it was an incredible five-year run. They got it. They had perspective. They weren't bitter or angry. They were appreciative.
    If you're a college football fan, the Fargodome is a bucket list item. It's indoors, so you don't have to brave the cold. But do spend some time in Fargo. You'll meet some of the best fans in America. I know I have. All this is meant to say thank you for the kindness and hospitality you've shown me over the last few years. It's truly humbling. I'm from NJ. Many of us Jerseyans are naturally cynical. But every time I leave Fargo, I'm reminded that there is an intrinsic goodness in people... and one could not ask for a better feeling.
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Default Re: Anish Shroff's Thoughts on Fargo and NDSU

Nice. His knowledge of NDSU football is impressive, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy, especially for a New Jersian!

Anish is the man and I'm glad he calls all of the ndsu national games.

He talked about Fargo on sports center before the game too. I hope hes not thinking he won't be back!
    Last edited by BisonTeacher; 12-19-2016 at 10:56 PM. Reason: It's a double negative
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

That was a nice read. Thanks for posting

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

hell of a read..thanks Anish.

[QUOTE=bri-dog;1186536]Not sure if it's okay to quote an entire facebook post. I'm sure The Angry Elf will correct me if not. This is from Anish's facebook page:

[COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=San Francisco]

Three years ago I set foot in Fargo, North Dakota for the first time.....

North Dakota State lost the game on Friday. Truth be told, if that game was played ten times, James Madison wins 8 times. The better team won that night. JMU's win ended the greatest five-year run in college football history. That night our crew went out after the game for a meal. Fans were mostly upbeat. They comprehended the totality of what happened. Sure it was a tough night for them, but it was an incredible five-year run. They got it. They had perspective. They weren't bitter or angry. They were appreciative.....

Good thing he doesn't have access to this Board.

HerdBoy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I like Anish and Ahmad Brooks. They do a good job.

Disagree with the 8 out of 10 times comment. I think JMU might have been slightly a better team but NDSU very much could have won that game and really stat wise it was pretty dang even.

[QUOTE=GenX;1186557]
    Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    Not sure if it's okay to quote an entire facebook post. I'm sure The Angry Elf will correct me if not. This is from Anish's facebook page:

[COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=San Francisco]

Three years ago I set foot in Fargo, North Dakota for the first time.....

North Dakota State lost the game on Friday. Truth be told, if that game was played ten times, James Madison wins 8 times. The better team won that night. JMU's win ended the greatest five-year run in college football history. That night our crew went out after the game for a meal. Fans were mostly upbeat. They comprehended the totality of what happened. Sure it was a tough night for them, but it was an incredible five-year run. They got it. They had perspective. They weren't bitter or angry. They were appreciative.....

Good thing he doesn't have access to this Board.

note: holy shit I had no idea that picture of dwight was going to be that big.
    FALSE. If that game was played ten times, James Madison would only win 1 time. It just happened to be the first game that they played but NDSU would have won the next 9.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!