Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Off Sides

Default Re: Off Sides

I thought the non call was correct too because of the ball placement. It's thrown 5 yards further and we could have a case.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonRoyal View Post
    I don't know why I am relegated to posting on a fan forum, because that's what this is turning into. A lifelong bison fan and former college football coach, I will say the fans typically have pretty good takes but you throw a loss into the mix and all hell breaks loose. A couple thoughts as a former coach:

1. The off sides call, since I am posting in the thread does appear to be bogus and did have an effect on the game. For all those including Anish who suggest JMU was far superior and would win 8 out of 10 against the Bison I would say maybe. Maybe on a neutral field. In the dome, I would say it was a 50/50 game at best.

2. Think of all the what-ifs, including the off sides call, there was also the 3rd and 10 touchdown pass (a great play) but just that a play. It wasn't physically imposing, or anything schematic, we were beat by a step which happens from time to time, also doesn't happen from time to time. How about the throw across the body the JMU quarterback made back to the middle of the field on third and long. This was unorthodox, unwarranted, and something they do not practice. Sure he made a play, but between the catch and the throw, if we are talking percentages in the betting world, this play goes down as high risk/low reward status.

3. The field goal kicking was huge, had we made one of the two, we were in that game down to the last play. Our ability to rally from two scores down proved to be ugly and a coaching disaster, however Stick will mature and bounce back pushing to be better in this area going forward as will the coaches. This proves my point regarding JMU winning 8 out of 10 times or those who feel the better team won. I would argue the right team won on the right day based on the plays they made. The Bison resiliency was impressive as was the comeback to tie the game 17-17 and following the Bison INT, JMU's resiliency held. That was the difference! Two key field goal situations, we missed ours and the refs aided in the off sides penalty. The final touchdown, the situation, everything changes with those two situations and it is hard to say what happens.

4. Both teams were missing players, the difficulty and length of the season may have been the determining factor. Not an excuse but playing the grind of the valley with the non-con schedule we had was unprecedented. Couple that with the injuries and mental fatigue may have set in for the first time in six years. It's over and done, a great season, a great team, and more importantly a great program that will be back. Hats off to JMU, amid suspensions they were resilient and their QB/defense were the separating factors.

About that throw across the QB's body...against the grain, you stated it perfectly. Right after that play, I said to the retired FB coach who sits next to me and I said..."If he does that in practice he gets yelled at"!

Great post Sir, Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    I thought the non call was correct too because of the ball placement. It's thrown 5 yards further and we could have a case.
    Maybe I am hanging myself here, but our receivers were never really a threat the whole game. JMU was able to load the box on any play they wanted to. Our run game was never a real big factor because of it. JMU was a perfect storm. They contained the Bison running game, kept the passing game in check, and they pulled off a lot of "escape" plays when they needed to, and the defense didn't keep track of JMU's running back (based on how many times he leaked out of the backfield to catch a big play pass). Sure, the loss sucks and it does hurt (fans and players), the positive side of this is that maybe it pushes the players to a whole new level. The team has a chance to become an even bigger monster than it has been before. Might not go on a streak like we had, but the team can become even more complete through sheer determination.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    That could have had a big impact on the game. But it was at the end of the field where I sit and also watched it on tv. I did not have a problem with the no call. If the pass would have been thrown further to were RJ could only catch it then I would have been barking hard about it. The way it ended up RJ was 2 yards ahead of the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I thought the non call was right. Their defenders did an excellent job of being in tight coverage and using their bodies to block out position while keeping their hands off of the receivers. So often you see defenders in great position but they reach and grab a receiver's arm which is generally what draws a flag.

Now if they run straight through a receiver that should still be a flag but on most plays I remember the balls were just slightly under thrown and the defenders did a great job of staying tight but keeping their hands off.
    I agree with both of you. I also sit at that end of the stadium and thought it was:
    A. Good Coverage
    2. A Poor Throw

The previous play I thought was defensive holding on the DB, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXdf2SyOMU around the 48:00 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I agree with both of you. I also sit at that end of the stadium and thought it was:
    A. Good Coverage
    2. A Poor Throw

The previous play I thought was defensive holding on the DB, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXdf2SyOMU around the 48:00 mark.
    Well, just re-watched and I saw the same thing as the announcers did - PI. I agree it was not a good throw. But RJ had a step and a half on the defender - he never turned around to find the ball and made contact with the receiver. Oh well. Agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    Well, just re-watched and I saw the same thing as the announcers did - PI. I agree it was not a good throw. But RJ had a step and a half on the defender - he never turned around to find the ball and made contact with the receiver. Oh well. Agree to disagree.
    If the Bison receiver had been making his way back to the ball, PI. But he was still moving towards the back of the endzone and the ball hit Jordan Brown in the back. The with the Receivers momentum that ball wouldve landed well behind him. In my mind that qualifies as "uncatchable." If you call this one PI, you also have to call PI against the Bison in the Endzone in the 1st quarter.

Go Dukes!

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMU DLS View Post
    If the Bison receiver had been making his way back to the ball, PI. But he was still moving towards the back of the endzone and the ball hit Jordan Brown in the back. The with the Receivers momentum that ball wouldve landed well behind him. In my mind that qualifies as "uncatchable." If you call this one PI, you also have to call PI against the Bison in the Endzone in the 1st quarter.
    CJ Smith had this identical play called for PI several times in the playoffs the previous 4 years. Your DB's played an awesome game but that play was clearly PI. Did it change the outcome of the game? Probably not, I thought you won the battle of the trenches, which we typically win. In a close matchup like this, little things like a blown call, can make a big difference. Bison fans remember with fury the phantom tipped ball against SDSU that almost cost us a natty.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    CJ Smith had this identical play called for PI several times in the playoffs the previous 4 years. Your DB's played an awesome game but that play was clearly PI. Did it change the outcome of the game? Probably not, I thought you won the battle of the trenches, which we typically win. In a close matchup like this, little things like a blown call, can make a big difference. Bison fans remember with fury the phantom tipped ball against SDSU that almost cost us a natty.
    You can have the opinion that it was PI, but to say that it clearly was simply isn't true.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Is there PTSD going on here?

Finally watched the replay. The 3rd down play was closer than I thought and was probably 5050 with the ball placement, a little better throw and it doesn't matter. The first down play after the Morlock catch probably should've been a defensive hold.