Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Sides

Default Re: Off Sides

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the replay yet, but live I thought the call was going to be some kind of false start or illegal shift on the QB. I remember his shift to drop back for the kick seemed really odd and herky-jerky, like he stopped in the middle. Is that what drew the flinch from BA?

I didn't see anything wrong on the offensive side of the ball you see QBs do that play all the time in that situation. Didn't see a replay in done after they called the penalty. So didn't know what to look for.

I have seen the replay. Nothing really there. Crap call by ref. Thanks bud, you possibly changed the outcome of the game on an unusual call.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I didn't see anything wrong on the offensive side of the ball you see QBs do that play all the time in that situation. Didn't see a replay in done after they called the penalty. So didn't know what to look for.
    Probably only issue would have been if another player was in motion when the QB shifted back. I don't think that happened.

I think JMU's coach was in that official's ear about all the shifting that was helping to trigger the false starts along with the previous hit on the QB after the late TO and whistle that nobody heard. Probably got them a favorable call. Oh well.
    Last edited by EC8CH; 12-20-2016 at 05:02 PM.

It didn't look like a penalty to me but I don't think NDSU was going to win that day no matter what. JMU was really, really good. NDSU is good to, but probably not quite as tough as some of our championship teams.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    It didn't look like a penalty to me but I don't think NDSU was going to win that day no matter what. JMU was really, really good. NDSU is good to, but probably not quite as tough as some of our championship teams.
    Might need to add an asterisk next to JMU was really really good.

I don't know why I am relegated to posting on a fan forum, because that's what this is turning into. A lifelong bison fan and former college football coach, I will say the fans typically have pretty good takes but you throw a loss into the mix and all hell breaks loose. A couple thoughts as a former coach:

1. The off sides call, since I am posting in the thread does appear to be bogus and did have an effect on the game. For all those including Anish who suggest JMU was far superior and would win 8 out of 10 against the Bison I would say maybe. Maybe on a neutral field. In the dome, I would say it was a 50/50 game at best.

2. Think of all the what-ifs, including the off sides call, there was also the 3rd and 10 touchdown pass (a great play) but just that a play. It wasn't physically imposing, or anything schematic, we were beat by a step which happens from time to time, also doesn't happen from time to time. How about the throw across the body the JMU quarterback made back to the middle of the field on third and long. This was unorthodox, unwarranted, and something they do not practice. Sure he made a play, but between the catch and the throw, if we are talking percentages in the betting world, this play goes down as high risk/low reward status.

3. The field goal kicking was huge, had we made one of the two, we were in that game down to the last play. Our ability to rally from two scores down proved to be ugly and a coaching disaster, however Stick will mature and bounce back pushing to be better in this area going forward as will the coaches. This proves my point regarding JMU winning 8 out of 10 times or those who feel the better team won. I would argue the right team won on the right day based on the plays they made. The Bison resiliency was impressive as was the comeback to tie the game 17-17 and following the Bison INT, JMU's resiliency held. That was the difference! Two key field goal situations, we missed ours and the refs aided in the off sides penalty. The final touchdown, the situation, everything changes with those two situations and it is hard to say what happens.

4. Both teams were missing players, the difficulty and length of the season may have been the determining factor. Not an excuse but playing the grind of the valley with the non-con schedule we had was unprecedented. Couple that with the injuries and mental fatigue may have set in for the first time in six years. It's over and done, a great season, a great team, and more importantly a great program that will be back. Hats off to JMU, amid suspensions they were resilient and their QB/defense were the separating factors.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonRoyal View Post
    I don't know why I am relegated to posting on a fan forum, because that's what this is turning into. A lifelong bison fan and former college football coach, I will say the fans typically have pretty good takes but you throw a loss into the mix and all hell breaks loose. A couple thoughts as a former coach:

1. The off sides call, since I am posting in the thread does appear to be bogus and did have an effect on the game. For all those including Anish who suggest JMU was far superior and would win 8 out of 10 against the Bison I would say maybe. Maybe on a neutral field. In the dome, I would say it was a 50/50 game at best.

2. Think of all the what-ifs, including the off sides call, there was also the 3rd and 10 touchdown pass (a great play) but just that a play. It wasn't physically imposing, or anything schematic, we were beat by a step which happens from time to time, also doesn't happen from time to time. How about the throw across the body the JMU quarterback made back to the middle of the field on third and long. This was unorthodox, unwarranted, and something they do not practice. Sure he made a play, but between the catch and the throw, if we are talking percentages in the betting world, this play goes down as high risk/low reward status.

3. The field goal kicking was huge, had we made one of the two, we were in that game down to the last play. Our ability to rally from two scores down proved to be ugly and a coaching disaster, however Stick will mature and bounce back pushing to be better in this area going forward as will the coaches. This proves my point regarding JMU winning 8 out of 10 times or those who feel the better team won. I would argue the right team won on the right day based on the plays they made. The Bison resiliency was impressive as was the comeback to tie the game 17-17 and following the Bison INT, JMU's resiliency held. That was the difference! Two key field goal situations, we missed ours and the refs aided in the off sides penalty. The final touchdown, the situation, everything changes with those two situations and it is hard to say what happens.

4. Both teams were missing players, the difficulty and length of the season may have been the determining factor. Not an excuse but playing the grind of the valley with the non-con schedule we had was unprecedented. Couple that with the injuries and mental fatigue may have set in for the first time in six years. It's over and done, a great season, a great team, and more importantly a great program that will be back. Hats off to JMU, amid suspensions they were resilient and their QB/defense were the separating factors.
    One more "what - if". The 2nd Quarter "non" pass interference call in the end zone on RJ was huge. Ball was under thrown, but defender was clearly beat and their was contact by their player plus he never looked back for the ball. Would have set us up in first and goal. Instead we miss a field goal, and score remains 10 - 0. Big momentum changer.

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    One more "what - if". The 2nd Quarter "non" pass interference call in the end zone on RJ was huge. Ball was under thrown, but defender was clearly beat and their was contact by their player plus he never looked back for the ball. Would have set us up in first and goal. Instead we miss a field goal, and score remains 10 - 0. Big momentum changer.
    That could have had a big impact on the game. But it was at the end of the field where I sit and also watched it on tv. I did not have a problem with the no call. If the pass would have been thrown further to were RJ could only catch it then I would have been barking hard about it. The way it ended up RJ was 2 yards ahead of the ball.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    I thought the non call was right. Their defenders did an excellent job of being in tight coverage and using their bodies to block out position while keeping their hands off of the receivers. So often you see defenders in great position but they reach and grab a receiver's arm which is generally what draws a flag.

Now if they run straight through a receiver that should still be a flag but on most plays I remember the balls were just slightly under thrown and the defenders did a great job of staying tight but keeping their hands off.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I thought the non call was right.

F#cking traitor!
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."