Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bison

Default Re: 2017 Bison

Quote Originally Posted by I miss Chubs View Post
    I'm a power guy and have suggested there is not enough confidence in power to run when down early to set it up in the second half. Also think I form is almost exclusively being shown in run situations.

Not a fan of playing to the qb strength instead of the teams, and o-line strength. Those boys take pride in pounding.

Encourage some of the "non Power guys" to go back and watch some of the tight ones- Iowa, k state, GSU 2012, UNI 2013 start to finish. Then watch UNI 2014, or last nights game to see a stark contrast in style.

I agree that we will see more shotgun, how many championships do you see in NDSU's near future?
    I wasn't advocating anything. Simply commenting on what I think we will see.

FWIW, you can run power out of almost any formation. However, you give up the threat of play action when you're in shotgun.

The bottom line is that we have a QB who, so far, hasn't shown the throwing ability of either Brock or Carson. He's much more mobile than Brock AND he doesn't have the RB talent that Brock was surrounded by. THAT'S why I think we will see more spread than we are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    If we can't stretch the field vertically, 8-9 in the box works to stop our running attack. Regardless of what is called.

That's why it's funny to read GDT over several weeks. Why don't we run power more? Why don't we run off tackle instead of A gap? Why don't we run more fly sweeps? Why this? Why that?

Whatever didn't work means people bitch about the calls. Next week we do more of what people said to do last week and then that doesn't work either.

The "power guys" won't like this but we have two more years with a "spread" QB. His strength is running the football. His best throws are deep go routes which require some touch but not that much accuracy.

The WC offense demands quite a few throws in tight windows to 2nd and 3rd reads. I haven't seen the ability or arm talent to do that. I see quite a bit of shotgun in our near future.

Well stated.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I wasn't advocating anything. Simply commenting on what I think we will see.

FWIW, you can run power out of almost any formation. However, you give up the threat of play action when you're in shotgun.

The bottom line is that we have a QB who, so far, hasn't shown the throwing ability of either Brock or Carson. He's much more mobile than Brock AND he doesn't have the RB talent that Brock was surrounded by. THAT'S why I think we will see more spread than we are used to.

I agree with what you are saying, but I will say Brock was not much better than Stick as a Sophomore and he struggled mightily his Junior year and if not for the defense winning games for them might have lost his job to Wentz during that horrible stretch of games.

We can all agree we have a running QB, but for some reason it appears he doesn't like to scramble. The other night he had blitzers coming full bore at him and he would just chuck it up. Even less mobile QB's can make that first guy miss quite often and I know Stick can but he doesn't do it for some reason.

By the way you can be a running QB and not have to do it out of the spread. You can run delayed QB draws and roll the QB out for a run pass option.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

We are very lucky we were able to red shirt our entire 16 class. This will pay dividends next year and beyond.. And like previous years they got an extra month of work in

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am a power guy, but I would rather see us stretch the field to the edges with off tackle runs rather than the jet sweep. I would also rather do it more from under center than out of the gun, but that is just me. We did have success with Easton on the read option for some big gains and I agree with you Northern we will see a lot of that over the next two years.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

I was listening to the post show and Keith Brake and Dudzik talked about the lack of a down field passing attack late in the game and how we just looked awkward running it. Dudzik said they practice it but it's not the same as doing it in the game.

With that said I hope we obviously continue to be a power based offense with a focus on the short passing game. But I really think we need to add the downfield passing game into our arsenal. Try and get it into the game early in the year when we're playing some cupcake teams.

I think back to the game winning drive vs Illinois State and that is what we were missing.

Hopefully Sean Engel has a great spring. Hopefully guys like Dallas Freeman or Khayvon Hawkins can have a great off-season and spring. Hopefully RJ, Shepherd, and Dimitri Williams can take their game to the next level. Team needs some playmakers

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I was listening to the post show and Keith Brake and Dudzik talked about the lack of a down field passing attack late in the game and how we just looked awkward running it. Dudzik said they practice it but it's not the same as doing it in the game.

With that said I hope we obviously continue to be a power based offense with a focus on the short passing game. But I really think we need to add the downfield passing game into our arsenal. Try and get it into the game early in the year when we're playing some cupcake teams.

I think back to the game winning drive vs Illinois State and that is what we were missing.

Hopefully Sean Engel has a great spring. Hopefully guys like Dallas Freeman or Khayvon Hawkins can have a great off-season and spring. Hopefully RJ, Shepherd, and Dimitri Williams can take their game to the next level. Team needs some playmakers
    I agree that we don't have a down field threat. We either run it or throw short routes. Even if you don't complete them you have to throw some deep passes to keep the safeties from creeping up to the line to help stop the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison20 View Post
    I agree that we don't have a down field threat. We either run it or throw short routes. Even if you don't complete them you have to throw some deep passes to keep the safeties from creeping up to the line to help stop the run.
    I counted 6 throws 25 yards or deeper on Friday, but I understand where you are coming from. To me, seems we don't run a lot of intermediate routes - 15-25 yard throws. That is Shep & RJ's bread and butter. Agree with most on the forum that neither are blazers but both are elite route runners with great hands. Play to their strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    I counted 6 throws 25 yards or deeper on Friday, but I understand where you are coming from. To me, seems we don't run a lot of intermediate routes - 15-25 yard throws. That is Shep & RJ's bread and butter. Agree with most on the forum that neither are blazers but both are elite route runners with great hands. Play to their strengths.
    I would imagine most were late in the game

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I would imagine most were late in the game
    Yes - point taken. I think all were in the 4th quarter other than the non pass interference call in the end zone in the first half on RJ.