Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bison

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2017 Bison

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonfaithful View Post
    I think using the quick pass to the TE over the middle will also effectively take the LB out of the box a bit to open that power up the middle. When the FB takes on the middle LB at the LOS as opposed to 3 yards passed the LOS it limits our backs some options to cut to the opening. Not sure if that makes sense typed but overall I think we use our TE MORE to loosen up the LB and move them off the LOS.
    GOOD POINT----BIGGEST CHANGE I've seen from Vigen to Polasek is Vigen got the TE involved more in the passing game; maybe Veldman was better than I thought---but I was excited about Ellefson as a Play making TE---not just a blocker--haven't seen it; Also I know that Illes is a super athlete--I guess have tried to get ball to him---Connor Wentz ok as a receiver---Nate Jenson a huge target big drop in SEMI'S---I want to see Ellefson!!!

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

[QUOTE=StL Bison Fan;1187634]
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    The major things that don't show up in stats are playing with an edge and attitude. Here's the thing, we, by almost everyone's standard, have had great/the best recruiting classes of all of FCS for many years now, but yet the "stats" don't reflect that. We are not trending upwards IOW. It's a bad sign IMO. We'll see. Coaching attitudes and schemes need to change.

I think you are correct. They have lost a little bit of that swagger and nastiness. Not conceit-swagger.
    The only game we saw the "kick your ass" attitude was SDSU in the playoffs. They need to bring that every week and start playing with a chip on your shoulder again. This team has too may nice guys and needs to add an asshole or two to get back on track.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    My guess at next year's OL is exactly the same as yours.
    MY OL is a bit different---I think C is most important in our run game---was a big difference when Kuhnert came back from injury---I don't move him!
    I've heard great things about Radunz---interested to see if he gets on field early; I thought the limited reps that Zack Johnson got in games he did an outstanding job---I can't wait for more of him---I think he improves more and takes LT job from Collin Conner;

estimated weights***

LT Zach Johnson 6'6 315 RSo. Colin Conner 6'5 310 Jr.
    LG Tanner Volson 6'4 312 Jr. Jack Albrecht 6'5 305 RSo.
    C Austin Kuhnert 6'4 305 Sr. Christian Triplett 6'3 310 Jr.
    RG Zack Ziemer 6'4 303 Sr. Luke Bacon 6'5 315 Jr.
    RT Dillion Radunz 6'6 295 RFr Colin Conner 6'5 310 Jr.

Have Conner as b/u to both OT spots as best option for both if injuries; Volson next best OL so get on field by switching to OG---Expect a few guys to exceed expectations in offseason improvements and spring ball---as picking Ziemer to win a "spot" on line

Maybe De Luca and Tanguay returning will give the defense more of an attitude. For me, one of the interesting questions about next year is just how resilient the team is going to be. Hopefully, both the coaches and players will be pissed off about losing this year.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    Thoughts on the team going forward.

1.) Tons of talent coming back. If DeLuca and Tanguay come back healthy, this is going to be an extremely good defense.
    2.) Offensive line will have growing pains. Replacing two first team all Americans will be difficult.
    3.) I thought Easton Stick grew a lot this year.
    4.) Not sure where he will come from, but NDSU needs a playmaker on the outside. One guy who can go up and get the ball.
    5.) Offensive play calling needs to improve drastically. I don't think the apologists have merit over this one. TP just simply is not a good coordinator.
    6.) Secondary will have a lot of experience under their belt, but they need to learn how to track receivers once the play is broken.
    7.) I thought Cam (despite his two misses) was solid all year. Koonce made a ton of strides. Call it what you want but zero net return yards all year is absolutely ridiculous.
    8.) Jabril Cox will have huge shoes to fill in Stumpf. After Montana last year, you never would have told me he would turn into the player he became.
    9.) I hope to god TP quits the running back rotation shit. I want Bruce and Lance getting 90% of the carries.
    10.) We have tough road Valley games next year plus a tough road game against EWU. Playoffs, especially seeding, is not a given.
    I agree especially with #9. Too much rotation and not one RB gets enough touches to grow from. IMO this is why we don't have big break aways like we did with JC and previous RB's.

2 things on the OL. They're not going to remove one of their 2 (maybe 1) returning starters on the offensive line, and if you could see their build up close you'd NEVER play Zack Johnson at guard and Colin Conner at tackle if they were on the same offensive line. Ever.
    Now this is the law of the prairie
    As old and as true as the sky
    And the Bison that keep it will prosper
    And the Bison that break it will die
    As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk
    This law is the final word:
    For the strength of the Herd is the Bison
    And the strength of the Bison is the Herd.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd12 View Post
    ..if you could see their build up close you'd NEVER play Zack Johnson at guard and Colin Conner at tackle if they were on the same offensive line. Ever.
    Good point. I thought something similar in 2015 when Jeremy Kelly played guard while Jack Plankers alternated at tackle (with Lechler). I know Conner may move to guard and I am confident the staff will make the right call.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by A1pigskin View Post
    I agree especially with #9. Too much rotation and not one RB gets enough touches to grow from. IMO this is why we don't have big break aways like we did with JC and previous RB's.
    I know that running back by committee is not popular with some, but it has worked. NDSU was second in the Valley (YSU #!) and 11th in the nation in rushing (241 per game and 5.7 per rush). We had four talented running backs last season, and quite possibly will again next year.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    MY OL is a bit different---I think C is most important in our run game---was a big difference when Kuhnert came back from injury---I don't move him!
    I've heard great things about Radunz---interested to see if he gets on field early; I thought the limited reps that Zack Johnson got in games he did an outstanding job---I can't wait for more of him---I think he improves more and takes LT job from Collin Conner;

estimated weights***

LT Zach Johnson 6'6 315 RSo. Colin Conner 6'5 310 Jr.
    LG Tanner Volson 6'4 312 Jr. Jack Albrecht 6'5 305 RSo.
    C Austin Kuhnert 6'4 305 Sr. Christian Triplett 6'3 310 Jr.
    RG Zack Ziemer 6'4 303 Sr. Luke Bacon 6'5 315 Jr.
    RT Dillion Radunz 6'6 295 RFr Colin Conner 6'5 310 Jr.

Have Conner as b/u to both OT spots as best option for both if injuries; Volson next best OL so get on field by switching to OG---Expect a few guys to exceed expectations in offseason improvements and spring ball---as picking Ziemer to win a "spot" on line
    I think we have the opportunity to get a bit more athletic on the line. Zack Johnson will be impossible to replace but I think guys like little Zack Johnson and Radunz can move a little better. Physically they are similar to Haeg and Turner. Plankers was a mountain of a man but mobility wasn't his strength. I actually like the idea of Connor at RG. . Ziemer doesn't seem quite as powerful as the point of attack and he moves just OK. I liked out online a few years ago with Jeremy Kelly at RG. Kid had great feet. Is it just me or did we seem to pull less this year? Maybe that's because Plankers didn't move as well

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    I know that running back by committee is not popular with some, but it has worked. NDSU was second in the Valley (YSU #!) and 11th in the nation in rushing (241 per game and 5.7 per rush). We had four talented running backs last season, and quite possibly will again next year.
    Does that approach keep us from signing a more talented back?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk