Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bison

Default Re: 2017 Bison

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I really wish someone would go back thru the year and chart our stretch plays and document the average yard per carry. I know it is high. Shoot we hardly ran it against jmu yet one went for a long TD.
    Im watching Jmu replay and after Grimsley pick we ran one with Dunn and went for first down

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think we had overall comparable talent this year on offense to 2013, and were way more talented in 2014 and 2015. Did it show? OFC not.

We never run any pitch option anymore. Jensen and Ojuri used to wreck with that and we have better talent for it now.

We way under used Morlock as well. How many home runs did he hit out of power with limited touches?

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    I think we had overall comparable talent this year on offense to 2013, and were way more talented in 2014 and 2015. Did it show? OFC not.

We never run any pitch option anymore. Jensen and Ojuri used to wreck with that and we have better talent for it now.

We way under used Morlock as well. How many home runs did he hit out of power with limited touches?
    Anyone notice other teams fake a hand off to one runner then give to another? Why do we take the ball and hold it out for everyone to see whos going to get it?
    Also why are the TE and fullbacks relegated to blocking for the most part? When was the last time a running back was used as a safety valve out in the flat? Over the middle?

We have loads of talent and speed to beat opponents to the edge. Get the opposition moving left and right so they quit plugging up the gaps. Fake one way go the other-(misdirection).
    This isnt rocket science.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Anyone notice other teams fake a hand off to one runner then give to another? Why do we take the ball and hold it out for everyone to see whos going to get it?
    Also why are the TE and fullbacks relegated to blocking for the most part? When was the last time a running back was used as a safety valve out in the flat? Over the middle?

We have loads of talent and speed to beat opponents to the edge. Get the opposition moving left and right so they quit plugging up the gaps. Fake one way go the other-(misdirection).
    That drives me nuts too. Brett Favre was Mr. Obvious with this technique also, and I never understood it.

Exactly, the way JMU committed everyone to the flow of play direction I guarantee a reverse would have gone for huge yards or a TD. Why couldn't Polisek, or any other coach see that? How about counters and trap plays just to mix things up in the middle? The straight ahead crap wasn't working. Make a fricking adjustment!
    How about this for a novel idea. Quit doing the crap that doesn't work, and expand on the stuff that does! Do the bison have an assistant that tracks play success, and if they do, does it get compiled and used during the game? Yep, the way the passes to TE's and RB's worked they should have been used more often. And please Polisek, except in a rare case, stop running Dunn up the middle.......his speed is made for running outside.
    Last edited by SDbison; 12-19-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When was the last time a running back was used as a safety valve out in the flat? Over the middle?

I have never understood why we don't release our RB into the flat for swing passes. This was an absolute staple in the real west coast offense and is difficult for LBs to cover. I mentioned this years ago but I gave up on it cause we aren't going to do it.
    If it flies it dies.

Long for the days of freezing in the south stands of Dacotah Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    When was the last time a running back was used as a safety valve out in the flat? Over the middle?

I have never understood why we don't release our RB into the flat for swing passes. This was an absolute staple in the real west coast offense and is difficult for LBs to cover. I mentioned this years ago but I gave up on it cause we aren't going to do it.
    The middle screen used to work like a charm and then teams figured it out and we quit running it. Would have been a good play to go back to

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about the pitch out? I think we did that like once this year and it worked well so why bother doing it again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I just hope Easton takes this loss "Brock Jensen" like and works his a-- off this offseason. Not all on him but he missed long throws all year long. He did makes some great throws (SDSU game) and just needs to be more consistent. 2 losses as a starter? He's a gamer.

How about when we ran a counter against SDSU. Faked the run to the left and Dunn ran a counter to the right for his long td run. Our play calling was so conservative and predictable. Seems like its a run up the middle or jet sweep. Someone else mentioned it but where was our middle screen?