Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bison

Default Re: 2017 Bison

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    The biggest thing I saw this year was our passing game was lacking. We didn't have receivers that could get open in one on one coverage. RJ is a great 2nd receiver but he can't handle going against the other teams #1 CB. Our Receivers as a group are average and average doesn't win championships.

Look at our number of completions and attempts:

2016 171 of 294 for 58.2%
    2015 220 of 358 for 61.5%
    2014 231 of 364 for 63.5%
    2013 240 of 360 for 66.7%
    2012 220 of 357 for 61.6%

This allowed teams to play our receivers without safety help and bring the safety down into the box. That is how JMU was spanking us, they had more people at the point of attack and had a person who could key on the jet sweep and be a lane runner like we used Heagle against the option. Until we have receivers who can win 1 on 1's and a we are going to struggle to win championships again. Heck it is what we did with CJ Smith and Marcus Williams, we put them on a island and used the extra defender to stop the run.
    RJ (and Shep) won plenty of one on one battles. Just like they did the previous year, and in RJ's case, the year before that. I think one of the biggest factors behind the "numbers" is the timing of when Easton was asked to throw - they played much more conservatively with him and he was often throwing on 3rd down and behind the chains. %'s are bound to be down. Will say this - and I believe it was predicted by someone before the season so not trying to take credit for it. But playing RJ as the 'X' receiver (Vraa's old position) the majority of the time rather than the 'Z' or slot definitely reduced his productivity year over year. Look at the Clemson game last night - Hunter Renfro had huge game but was operating where his skills could be best utilized (as a slot receiver or even in motion as the 'Z'). Will be interesting to see if someone steps up this spring / fall to take over the 'X' role and allow Shep & RJ to operate where talent appears to be best suited.

Offense
    QB - Stick is underrated. I expect his completion percentage to go up a couple percentage points
    RB - Dunn and Anderson are solid. Need them to get the tough yards in King's absence. Interesting to see how Purifoy, Brooks, and Cofield look in spring ball.
    FB - Malstrom and Robbins will only get better. Kuntz coming in. Sargent filled in from DE. This position should improve
    WR - RJ and Shepherd are really good. Dimitri probably will slide into Perkins' role. Sean Engel is the x-factor. Pretty good depth.
    OL - despite losing three (literally) huge guys, the OL should be pretty good
    TE - Loads of talent - need to catch the ball

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Offense
    QB - Stick is underrated. I expect his completion percentage to go up a couple percentage points
    RB - Dunn and Anderson are solid. Need them to get the tough yards in King's absence. Interesting to see how Purifoy, Brooks, and Cofield look in spring ball.
    FB - Malstrom and Robbins will only get better. Kuntz coming in. Sargent filled in from DE. This position should improve
    WR - RJ and Shepherd are really good. Dimitri probably will slide into Perkins' role. Sean Engel is the x-factor. Pretty good depth.
    Good points. I'm excited to see how Ellefson progresses, among others. From listening to coaches they have been impressed with some of OL and LBs during their redshirt year.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Offense

The defense will be one of the best ever if.... 2 ultra talented linebackers with little or no starting experience emerge. (Cox, Mercadel, Brinkman. Kennely) or 2 deep guys like Jordheim, Marlette. If the D-line has a great off season and takes it to the next level. If Jaylon Alliston becomes a shut down corner and builds on last year. If Dom Davis builds on last year and becomes steady. Either Felix Dixon, or Marquis Bridges needs to emerge. Not sure what to think about Wimbush yet... struggled early but showed flashes but he was hurt like non stop

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Offense
    The biggest question mark on this team in my opinion is CB. We need a lock down corner to step up and be the man. When our defense has been in lock down, we've had that shut down CB (or 2).

Bridges immediately showed up on the 2 deep when he flipped to defense. I see that as both good and bad. Another year learning the scheme, hopefully he can be a contributing member. Excited to see Felix Dixon in spring ball. Hopefully healthy and ready to compete.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    RJ (and Shep) won plenty of one on one battles. Just like they did the previous year, and in RJ's case, the year before that. I think one of the biggest factors behind the "numbers" is the timing of when Easton was asked to throw - they played much more conservatively with him and he was often throwing on 3rd down and behind the chains. %'s are bound to be down. Will say this - and I believe it was predicted by someone before the season so not trying to take credit for it. But playing RJ as the 'X' receiver (Vraa's old position) the majority of the time rather than the 'Z' or slot definitely reduced his productivity year over year. Look at the Clemson game last night - Hunter Renfro had huge game but was operating where his skills could be best utilized (as a slot receiver or even in motion as the 'Z'). Will be interesting to see if someone steps up this spring / fall to take over the 'X' role and allow Shep & RJ to operate where talent appears to be best suited.
    Our receivers scare no one. They are good but not good enough to scare a d coordinator into keeping a safety over the top. Thus they are free to stack the box.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Jay, is Charlie Jones being looked at as a CB? Thanks
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Good points. I'm excited to see how Ellefson progresses, among others. From listening to coaches they have been impressed with some of OL and LBs during their redshirt year.
    Haha, I wasn't trying to make any points... just organizing myself for spring ball. Pretty excited to see how the offense looks - but the real spotlight should be on the defense. Does Grimsley slide to FS? If so, who is the SS? Can the secondary improve? Who replaces PGT and Stumpf? If we get our way on Bisonville, we're going to enter fall camp with 53 DEs on the roster - which of these converted FBs, LBs, SSs, RBs, WRs, etc will will crack the 20-deep roster at DE?

Note: Actual DEs: Greg Menard (let's keep him fresh). Ambrosius is gone so that leaves Butler, the Tuszka x 2, Jones, Kelly, and Karcz.

One thing NDSU needs to work on in spring ball is this that when the O was in shotgun for a called QB run, 90% of the snaps went high and off-center. Only 7% of other shotgun snaps were off target. Of course, I've just made that stat up, but it's something we'd need to work on if it were true.

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Jay, is Charlie Jones being looked at as a CB? Thanks
    I would say yes. He's had an offer from us for quite some time and would be an absolute steal. @Herd890 can provide addtional information about him.

Didn't Steidl get injured in last game? Any word on this?