Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bison

Default Re: 2017 Bison

Guess I'm one of the guys that thought the coaches did a pretty good job. The players just did not execute. A coach cannot force players to make blocks. Play calling cannot make players make their blocks. No matter what play you run, your players have to execute as a team or the play will not work. Some of Easton's throws were off and uncatchable. That hurt but overall I think he did pretty well. He didn't have great protection. The biggest mismatch that I saw in the JMU game was NDSU's complete lack of blocking on the offensive runs. It was not the RB's fault. The RB's had nowhere to go and everyone on them because people were not making their blocks. NDSU did not play well as a team and you need to do that to win a against a team that is playing well. JMU was running all around our blockers and many times there were NDSU blockers that did not even make contact with anyone. You can not do that and run an offense successfully. I don't know if JMU guy's were just that much faster or what but feel like our offensive guys were just completely missing their 1 on 1 blocking matches.
    Last edited by awBison; 01-10-2017 at 02:31 PM.

My only issue with Polesek is some of his play calling. He needs to do a better job at setting up plays and situational play calls. That comes with experience, look at how long it took Vig's to get somewhat competent at it!

Blaming playcalling is just an easy way of ignoring the fact that JMU played a better game. How was YSU's play calling? Did their OC suddenly get terrible between the time they played EWU and the JMU? Or how was SDSU's play calling against NDSU in the second game?

JMU's secondary was outstanding. They stuffed the inside run and NDSU couldn't get to the outside, but somehow calling the jet sweep twice to the short side of the field is what lost the game? Yeah, I didn't like the play because it didn't work, but I don't know what Polasek was seeing.

I also strongly disagree that NDSU should abandon the game plan as soon as something doesn't work. Our problem was that JMU was winning one-on-one matchups. You know who throws out their game plan at the first sign of trouble? SDSU, that's who. That's why we have the Zenner as a unit of measure.

On the other side of the ball, it was taking JMU's offense 4 plays to get to 1 and goal (or the endzone) on all their scoring drives. Their QB broke contain at will and would then throw passes that looked like punts and their WR was still open 4 seconds later when the ball floated down to him. And they certainly found a weakness in our run defense. I'm not sure that their defense had a similar weakness for NDSU to exploit. If they did, nobody all year found it.

If NDSU is going to win a rematch next year, then I don't think changing the play calling is the key. My prescription: kick their asses at the point of attack on both sides of the ball. Keep their QB in the pocket. Intercept some of the ducks he throws. Blow their GD OT backwards into their RB so we don't one LB trying to fill two gaps. That kind of thing.

On a more positive note, I hope Koonce punts like he did in the JMU game all next year. That was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Blaming playcalling is just an easy way of ignoring the fact that JMU played a better game. How was YSU's play calling? Did their OC suddenly get terrible between the time they played EWU and the JMU? Or how was SDSU's play calling against NDSU in the second game?

JMU's secondary was outstanding. They stuffed the inside run and NDSU couldn't get to the outside, but somehow calling the jet sweep twice to the short side of the field is what lost the game? Yeah, I didn't like the play because it didn't work, but I don't know what Polasek was seeing.

I also strongly disagree that NDSU should abandon the game plan as soon as something doesn't work. Our problem was that JMU was winning one-on-one matchups. You know who throws out their game plan at the first sign of trouble? SDSU, that's who. That's why we have the Zenner as a unit of measure.

On the other side of the ball, it was taking JMU's offense 4 plays to get to 1 and goal (or the endzone) on all their scoring drives. Their QB broke contain at will and would then throw passes that looked like punts and their WR was still open 4 seconds later when the ball floated down to him. And they certainly found a weakness in our run defense. I'm not sure that their defense had a similar weakness for NDSU to exploit. If they did, nobody all year found it.

If NDSU is going to win a rematch next year, then I don't think changing the play calling is the key. My prescription: kick their asses at the point of attack on both sides of the ball. Keep their QB in the pocket. Intercept some of the ducks he throws. Blow their GD OT backwards into their RB so we don't one LB trying to fill two gaps. That kind of thing.

On a more positive note, I hope Koonce punts like he did in the JMU game all next year. That was outstanding.
    Yeah there was definitely way more to it than play calling. There were some bad play calls but it boils down to execution and the defense not stopping the run. When their running back goes for 180 and we miss field goals.... just saying. And JMU was slightly better that day and executed when it mattered. I still think we were capable of beating them if we get a few plays back.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In conference play we were:
    10th in passing offense at 144ypg, lowest since we joined the Valley. During our Natty runs we avg. in the mid 180ypg.
    4th in offenseive 3rd down conversion, 41.7% lowest since 2010.
    7th in defensive 3rd down conversion, 42.6% lowest since we joined the Valley. Our championship teams avg. 25%,

And despite this we went 7-1 in Valley play. I think injuries were part of the problem on defense but we gave up a lot of big plays. Offensively we need more balance. When teams used to crowd the box we made them pay. Couldn't do that this year!

Well when you call the same jet sweep play that hasn't worked 5 times already what makes you think it will on #6? That's the type of play calling I'm talking about. Maybe change it up once in awhile with a fake to the sweep guy and throw it or run the other way.

Our defense was not great all year and losing Deluca and Tanguay didn't help any. PGT was a liability in that JMU game and shouldn't have been on the field IMO. With that said it was a tie game and NDSU's ball after the Grimsley int and the offense didn't do shit after that so.....

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    In conference play we were:
    10th in passing offense at 144ypg, lowest since we joined the Valley. During our Natty runs we avg. in the mid 180ypg.
    4th in offenseive 3rd down conversion, 41.7% lowest since 2010.
    7th in defensive 3rd down conversion, 42.6% lowest since we joined the Valley. Our championship teams avg. 25%,

And despite this we went 7-1 in Valley play. I think injuries were part of the problem on defense but we gave up a lot of big plays. Offensively we need more balance. When teams used to crowd the box we made them pay. Couldn't do that this year!
    Numbers don't lie. There were stretches when we were really good but very inconsistent. Our penalties were up too.

Early in the year we were giving up big plays. Later in the year we were way more bend but don't break but when the offense couldn't stay on the field, not a good combo for TOP which was down from previous years.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Numbers don't lie. There were stretches when we were really good but very inconsistent. Our penalties were up too.

Early in the year we were giving up big plays. Later in the year we were way more bend but don't break but when the offense couldn't stay on the field, not a good combo for TOP which was down from previous years.
    Bottom line is we didn't make the plays we normally have during our 5 year stretch of dominance. And even then we came within 1 game of being in our 6th straight championship game. An unbelievable run that hopefully isn't finished. Last night's game is proof of just how hard it is to win a championship let alone 2, 3, 4 and 5. Not just in a row but total. I hope this doesn't happen for a while but it's really going to take several years in a row of disappointing seasons to grasp what was accomplished here. It's simply unbelievable and I don't think anyone will every going to come close to it again. Except for the 2017 - 2021 Bison teams.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Tony, I'm not blaming play calling. I was just pointing out some things that I saw all year as a trend. BTW you can kick their ass at the point or attack all you want. If they have 9-10 in the box you are not going to have success. Teams were DARING us to throw the ball. Again, go back and watch the first series against Western. Watch the game against Ill State. With our running threat we should be able to hit play action early to loosen up the defense.

Also I've never said once said we didn't have good coach's. Maybe they didn't have confidence in Stick? Sure seemed to me we called a very conservative game plan in most games all year.

The biggest thing I saw this year was our passing game was lacking. We didn't have receivers that could get open in one on one coverage. RJ is a great 2nd receiver but he can't handle going against the other teams #1 CB. Our Receivers as a group are average and average doesn't win championships.

Look at our number of completions and attempts:

2016 171 of 294 for 58.2%
    2015 220 of 358 for 61.5%
    2014 231 of 364 for 63.5%
    2013 240 of 360 for 66.7%
    2012 220 of 357 for 61.6%

This allowed teams to play our receivers without safety help and bring the safety down into the box. That is how JMU was spanking us, they had more people at the point of attack and had a person who could key on the jet sweep and be a lane runner like we used Heagle against the option. Until we have receivers who can win 1 on 1's and a we are going to struggle to win championships again. Heck it is what we did with CJ Smith and Marcus Williams, we put them on a island and used the extra defender to stop the run.