Page 18 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Wichita State to the American Athletic Conference?

Default Re: Wichita State to the American Athletic Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    How will the summit get any better again, apparently any team not in the Dakota's is looking for something better??

look at the MVC history, i now its history, but i dont get how WSU leaving will crumble the Valley, UNI and ISU-R will take over the top now

Summit Champion was a feaking 16 seed, we would have been a 15 if we won it, that's horse shit. I really think had ISU-R beat WSU they may have got 2 in this year
    Until they leave too then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post

Then we jump at our opportunity to get in the conference that all the higher major conferences are picking from. Settling for "an ok situation is why UND has been left back in the rear view mirror and forced to play catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    to where?? they have Football UNI and ISU are not dropping that nor going FBS. The non FB schools are transitioning out
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just going by name recognition the MVC wins out over the Summit. On the Insiders today, they made it sound like to be competitive in the MVC NDSU would have to about quadruple their bball budget. Kind of hard to convince people to make that kind of jump with the state budget issues we are going through right now.

I don't know, could we convince the 5 MVFC teams that are in the MVC by agreeing on a rotating conference tourney? I know the answer is no but I see that as the best "solution" in my mind. That would put the Summit at 14 teams which is a lot but not unheard of.

Wanting to stay in the Summit instead of going to the MVC is exactly the kind of thinking that got us stuck in D2 for so long.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Just going by name recognition the MVC wins out over the Summit. On the Insiders today, they made it sound like to be competitive in the MVC NDSU would have to about quadruple their bball budget. Kind of hard to convince people to make that kind of jump with the state budget issues we are going through right now.

I don't know, could we convince the 5 MVFC teams that are in the MVC by agreeing on a rotating conference tourney? I know the answer is no but I see that as the best "solution" in my mind. That would put the Summit at 14 teams which is a lot but not unheard of.
    If we doubled our MBB budget, we would be near the top of the MVC. WSU skews the numbers for the MVC, they had a budget of over $6 million with them gone the highest budget is around $3 million(Same as the Summit with Denver who we have no issues competing with). We would need to do more but probably like $400-500k more. Biggest difference is coaching salaries.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    If we doubled our MBB budget, we would be near the top of the MVC. WSU skews the numbers for the MVC, they had a budget of over $6 million. We would need to do more but probably like $400-500k more.
    Having no idea what the current bball budget is (and being far too lazy to look it up) that seems low. I'd imagine coaching salaries would have to increase, Jacobson is around $1mil isn't he? Where are the remaining coaches at? And assistants?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Wanting to stay in the Summit instead of going to the MVC is exactly the kind of thinking that got us stuck in D2 for so long.
    No it isn't.

There was no way to improve DII or the NCC, and no reason to think they would get better. In fact, both were getting worse.

By contrast, there is no debating that the Summit has improved dramatically over the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Having no idea what the current bball budget is (and being far too lazy to look it up) that seems low. I'd imagine coaching salaries would have to increase, Jacobson is around $1mil isn't he? Where are the remaining coaches at? And assistants?
    I think our current budget is close to $1.5 million, UNI is just under $3 million. Other schools like MSU and SIU are around 2.2.

MVC salaries...This is from 2015...
    Greg Lansing, Indiana State
    Salary: $296,000/year

Marty Simmons, Evansville
    Salary: Estimated $180K/year

Barry Hinson, Southern Illinois
    Salary: $300K/year

Paul Lusk, Missouri State
    Salary: $396K/year

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa (Under contract through 2025)
    Salary: $900K (base)/year (average)

Here were salary's in 2015.

http://www.pjstarforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=99572

Top heavy of competing may be a concern for NDSU. Richman makes probably pretty equivalent to Evansville which is really bringing up the rear. The South Dakota schools would be comparable to Southern Illinois and Indiana State which would round up the rear. Bradley's coach made $700,000 a year.