Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by grizlandbisonfan View Post
    This post is completely filled with bullchit. Whose expectation is it that we go .500? The basketball program is put into an impossible comparison of success with the football team. What football does is beyond extraordinary and you are lucky enough to have been a part of it. Looking at our short stint at the D1 level, how can we not be ecstatic with what we've accomplished? Multiple trips to the NCAA tourney, upsets of top 20 teams in the country, knocking off OK in the tourney. The fact that this is happening IN SPITE OF a complete lack of history and tradition of success is incredible. You are the first to quick to point out that our basketball team isn't our football team, which I'd agree. We don't get the pick of the litter on recruits. We can't parade the names of decades worth of NBA players like we can with NFL players.

We won 19 games last year and we were all disappointed in the ending of the season. That's not apathy. This season sucks and we have grown men calling out individual players on here. That's not classy.
    This may just be a speed bump in the road, who knows maybe it was a learning curve for a first time HC but im guessing results will have to start a positive turn very soon for his seat to not get a little hot

THis year has been rough, but the team has shown talent just not consistently. Hopefully it starts to turn, I guess a miracle could still happen and they win the tourney but I doubt we beat USD, SDSU on their home court
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

So if it is time to take on a grad transfer for a big in the middle, do you look at top D2 program for that big or a D1 guy? Next question why would a grad transfer from D1 come to NDSU to play hoops? I will hang up and listen.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    I don't know about this part, the talent is there and has continued to come in as Cam, Rocky, Tyson, Eady all look like great players to come. The problem seems to be the utilization of the talent. Our rotations aren't based on matchups they are based on minutes it seems like and we run an offense where our center is standing outside the 3 point line catching a pass, these are things that need to be changed. Spencer is a big body, he should be setting ball screens, posting up and setting baseline screens, not standing at the 3 point line. When Denver went to a small lineup without Amigo we should have pounded the ball inside to Spencer and played Geu at the 5 when he needed a break and continued to pound away. Instead we run the same schemes regardless of game situations and it limits the talent of the players on the floor. That's my 2 cents anyway
    "The problem seems to be the utilization of the talent" .... we all have our thoughts and opinions but why is Deng Geu playing the 8th most minutes per game on this team ... he's arguably THE most athletic player on the team. He's a guy on a Paull Miller-less squad that may have to become THE guy next year. Khy K leaving is another head scratcher that doesn't show well either for DR.

NDSU should almost ALWAYS be in the top 4 of this conference. It has more resources, facilities and support than any other program in the conference. Last year's finish and this year's performance is seriously underwhelming and in my mind is indicative of a trend. Next year NDSU loses a 1st team all-conference player - and arguably a POY candidate with no one prepared to replace him. How can any rationale person look forward to next year and not think that it is going to be a continuation of these past two seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    This may just be a speed bump in the road, who knows maybe it was a learning curve for a first time HC but im guessing results will have to start a positive turn very soon for his seat to not get a little hot

THis year has been rough, but the team has shown talent just not consistently. Hopefully it starts to turn, I guess a miracle could still happen and they win the tourney but I doubt we beat USD, SDSU on their home court
    We can't beat them on OUR home court.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    "The problem seems to be the utilization of the talent" .... we all have our thoughts and opinions but why is Deng Geu playing the 8th most minutes per game on this team ... he's arguably THE most athletic player on the team. He's a guy on a Paull Miller-less squad that may have to become THE guy next year. Khy K leaving is another head scratcher that doesn't show well either for DR.

NDSU should almost ALWAYS be in the top 4 of this conference. It has more resources, facilities and support than any other program in the conference. Last year's finish and this year's performance is seriously underwhelming and in my mind is indicative of a trend. Next year NDSU loses a 1st team all-conference player - and arguably a POY candidate with no one prepared to replace him. How can any rationale person look forward to next year and not think that it is going to be a continuation of these past two seasons?
    This is the first year in a while we are not fighting for the 1 seed so basketball is meeting your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    This is the first year in a while we are not fighting for the 1 seed so basketball is meeting your expectations
    Yep. Saul had some shit years where we finished. 500 or below .500 in conference play and he wasn't criticized nearly as much.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

You could say last year met expectations but the problem is more how last season ended and how it is carrying over to this year.

That IUPUI game in the Summit tournament was the worst loss in our DI history, the team didn't even show up in the second half of that game. They just packed it in and gave up. It was an embarrassment.

If Richman can't turn it around next year, he should be gone. By turn it around I don't mean winning the league but I need to see some progression towards getting back to that level because we are a long ways from it at the moment. SDSU and USD are lapping us and it isn't acceptable with the the new tools that have been given to the program.

People bring up Saul's lean years but that was a product of the program basically going all in to get the NCAA tournament combined with same issues of recruiting while in transition. Saul was savaged here by some, even when the program was slowly getting better and you could see something big potentially coming together.

I don't want to rip on Richman, I want him to win and be successful and I am willing to be patient but things need to start trending in the positive direction.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 02-14-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

THE BEST thing about this year it is about to END. Now, the steps by the coaching staff and players needs to happen to prevent it from continuing into next year.
    Since the COACHES recruited "their" players I put more on the coaches to make adjustments.
    LOOK AT:
    1. Offensive Scheme
    2. Adjustments during a game
    3. Adjustments on defense
    4. Player Rotations--establish a player rotation in conference play--non conference play younger guys more minutes to SEE what you have

Everyone is held accountable and there should be PRESSURE to perform. The players should feel it and WANT to perform for their coaches or there is a problem.
    Coaches better develop relationships first with their players---than better develop the players into the players that will be able to excel in their "adjusting" system

The thing the last 5 games is it looks like Dave has been playing checkers and not Chess. The second half of the USD game he was playing Chess, he was changing things up exploiting match ups and changing quickly. You could see Craig Smith on the sideline getting stressed even, it was fun to watch and not like him. Since the last SDSU game teams have been saying we are going to double and even triple Paul and make him work the whole game with someone in his grill on both ends of the court. If we are going to win come tourney time we need to have options to make the other teams pay for that pressure and the doubles. Our off ball movement is ridiculously annoying to me. If we do have it happening there is 1 option with to many other players standing still. We need to have decisive purposeful off ball player movement with multiple options for Paul to hit quick crisp passes and make the other team pay. This will lead to the other players picking up the slack and forcing the teams to either stay in the double team D or if they back off allow Paul to light it up. We are going to live and die by how well Paul plays this tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Yep. Saul had some shit years where we finished. 500 or below .500 in conference play and he wasn't criticized nearly as much.
    Saul had some rough years say after oh 5 seniors left the team and the Bison truly had a young team. If you graphed Sauls tenure here there were at least upward trends. Compare that to DR and his graph is all trending down. Who in their right mind would invest or be happy with that trend?