Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I get nervous whenever Dave talks about "position less" basketball. To me, it is like saying guys like Dex and Marshall did not have value, but am I misinterpreting? I keep trying to be positive, and hoping I am very, very wrong.
    You can play that kind of ball if you have 5 guys like Kevin Durant on the floor. Last time I looked, we do not.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Our offense works only if our players can or are willing to drive to the basket. Cut us off or we get complacent and we settle for outside shots. If they don't fall we are screwed. Really that simple. Gives us a slim chance of beating athletic teams that are willing to play some hard nosed defense.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I wish. Didn't Rick Barnes recruit Kevin Durant and Lamarcus Aldridge amongst other impact big guys.
    He did....and only that.

(Rick is obviously better xs and os vs richman) but was always known to do less with more considering the talent he had

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    This is Richman's 4th year. His worst year ironically was his second year in which they went 20-13(8-8) and I believe made it to the Conference finals. He took over a program that was very poorly recruited considering the success that was happening, IMO.

The program was never given a chance to benefit off that Oklahoma win in recruiting because Saul never tied recruiting up before he left and I would imagine a rookie HC didn't have a lot of pull. Richman has done an excellent job at recruiting perimeter players and a very poor job at recruiting inside. The player development argument is garbage. Paul Miller's development has been significant, same with Ward. On the flip side, the player development of the inside players, well, has been garbage.

Firing Richman opinions are just ignorant and completely unsubstantiated. He has been NDSU's most successful coach in history, and despite what anyone thinks, this season's success is based on conference, not out of conference. This ain't football where NDSU is expected to compete for Championships in a sub division. I would personally be pissed if Richman beat all these teams and then pissed the conference away.

With all that being said, Richman better figure out how to coach offense and get his teams to play with a little energy, immediately, or the above arguments for him are going to quickly lose their merit.
    My only disagreement with your post is the bolded part. How are those guys different now then when they started as freshmen? Besides more experienced and maybe a bit better physically they are pretty much the same players. PM was always a great scorer, I'd say Richman has actually hurt him and the team this season by forcing him to play PG.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    The thing with an offense focused on 3 pointers is...you have to actually be good at them. Live by the 3 die by the 3. Ive never viewed us as a 3 point shooting team. (other than was it Felt, and even then he was streaky)
    I agree with and the 3 point shooting has been far too many the last couple years or so. I do think the problem is a good portion of NDSU's 3's aren't within an offensive system, but towards the end of the shot clock after the offensive set has gone to shit. If they are taking 3's in a halfcourt set and just not hitting that's one thing, but so many of them come in a garbage y0-ball type sloppyset. That is one area that really needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10
    (Rick is obviously better xs and os vs richman) but was always known to do less with more considering the talent he had)
    I'm not sure he he has done less with more talent. Possibly he has depending on how someone is viewing his success/failure, but he has the talent to be a top end Summit team, and 2 of his 3 years they were, and even arguably all 3. NDSU does not have more talented players than SDSU.

Really hate that we don't have Craig Smith, especially considering he turned down a better opportunity to stay at USD. That dude coaches scheme and system better than any other program in the Summit and it isn't even close. They are always well disciplined and his teams play hard for him every game, which NDSU can't say that.

I would still rather have Richman with his faults over more than half the coaches in the Summit, I think a better question is should that be enough for NDSU if his tenure continues in the manner it has over the next couple of years. If he can continue recruiting the way he has and get 1-2 more impacting big men we should likely see his most well rounded team in 2-3 years. At that point IMO we should have a gauge of if he's the kind of coach NDSU wants to move forward with on their own accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    My only disagreement with your post is the bolded part. How are those guys different now then when they started as freshmen? Besides more experienced and maybe a bit better physically they are pretty much the same players. PM was always a great scorer, I'd say Richman has actually hurt him and the team this season by forcing him to play PG.
    Yeah, just look at AJ, he has probably regressed offensively.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Paul Miller is one of the best players in the Summit, and every single head coach would tell you that. Paul Miller doesn't get enough credit. He not only is NDSU's best scorer, he's their leading rebounder, leader in assists, his assist:TO ratio is just under 2:1 which is good for an average non scoring PG, his leads NDSU in steals and is up in blocked shots. He's doing all this while asked to play a position he really has no business playing. I guess I don't see, at all, how people think he hasn't regressed. The dude is also arguably NDSU's best on ball defender.

I guess I don't see how people think Tyson Ward hasn't improved. Last year he was a role player with extremely limited offensive production. He's doubled his ppg. This year he average 10.4 and 5.5 and has shown to be one of NDSU's go to players, and the dude is only a sophomore. I understand that people get upset with the teams play at times, and I do too, but they are 3-5, they have played, without a doubt the hardest schedule in the history of NDSU basketball, and just because there have been some questionable moments, I don't think it's fair to take that away from those guys. Both of them didn't come into NDSU as one of the conferences best players, Miller now is, and Tyson Ward is one of the best sophomores.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUStudent
    Yeah, just look at AJ, he has probably regressed offensively.
    I agree about AJ, but that is one player. That would be like somebody pointing to Dexter Werner and saying Dave Richman can absolutely coach up inside players.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsustudent View Post
    yeah, just look at aj, he has probably regressed offensively every year.
    fify!!!!!!!
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Paul Miller is one of the best players in the Summit, and every single head coach would tell you that. Paul Miller doesn't get enough credit. He not only is NDSU's best scorer, he's their leading rebounder, leader in assists, his assist:TO ratio is just under 2:1 which is good for an average non scoring PG, his leads NDSU in steals and is up in blocked shots. He's doing all this while asked to play a position he really has no business playing. I guess I don't see, at all, how people think he hasn't regressed. The dude is also arguably NDSU's best on ball defender.

I guess I don't see how people think Tyson Ward hasn't improved. Last year he was a role player with extremely limited offensive production. He's doubled his ppg. This year he average 10.4 and 5.5 and has shown to be one of NDSU's go to players, and the dude is only a sophomore. I understand that people get upset with the teams play at times, and I do too, but they are 3-5, they have played, without a doubt the hardest schedule in the history of NDSU basketball, and just because there have been some questionable moments, I don't think it's fair to take that away from those guys. Both of them didn't come into NDSU as one of the conferences best players, Miller now is, and Tyson Ward is one of the best sophomores.

I agree about AJ, but that is one player. That would be like somebody pointing to Dexter Werner and saying Dave Richman can absolutely coach up inside players.
    No, how many freshmen are?Paul is a great player, like I said he was when he entered the program. Tyson is as well and his PPG have doubled because he is playing more minutes. I'm not saying they haven't improved I'm questioning what Richman has done to develop them.

No, how many freshmen are?Paul is a great player, like I said he was when he entered the program. Tyson is as well and his PPG have doubled because he is playing more minutes. I'm not saying they haven't improved I'm questioning what Richman has done to develop them.
    I think how is irrelevant. If people are going to blame Richman for AJ's regression or lack of improvement, than people have to blame Richman for other players getting better. Of if he didn't do anything to develop those guys, he didn't do anything to not develop AJ, and that is strictly on AJ. Can't really have it both ways.