Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Its amazing how many athletes at Ndsu have had wasted years, fball included
    Compared to what other schools? You see the D1 transfer list in hoops?
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    The only frustrating thing about Geu is his lack of minutes I.e. How he was not used. He was the best player on the team vs Xavior, and then got 5 minutes or less immediately after that. He had a throw away Year, it was crazy. His development is critical, and it was thrown away. Don't get me started.

EXACTLY--my faith in Richman is dwindling HOW DOES he develop players---AJ?? Geu? Does he have favorites regardless of play? Dupree vs Dex? Why was DEX 5th on team in damn shots taken?????? Well head coach limited minutes---your team leader and hardest worker on floor doesn't start and plays average of 25 minutes??? CMON

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    EXACTLY--my faith in Richman is dwindling HOW DOES he develop players---AJ?? Geu? Does he have favorites regardless of play? Dupree vs Dex? Why was DEX 5th on team in damn shots taken?????? Well head coach limited minutes---your team leader and hardest worker on floor doesn't start and plays average of 25 minutes??? CMON
    The way he played Dex was actually one of the smartest things he did. He isn't going to give you 40 minutes a night, not at the intensity he plays at. He comes off the bench, the bigs on the other team are getting into playing defense with their hands instead of their feet because they are working towards being gassed, Dex is fresh, and he got a lot of guys into foul trouble. Then it was forcing a mismatch because the other coach has to go his bench. Near the end of the year, opponents were sitting their starting big guys when Dex came in and trying to flip it around on the Bison giving their big guy a breather. While the Bison weren't dictating a whole lot by the end of the year, they were still changing their opponents' regular rotation in the front court.

Now figuring out the proper playing time for everyone else is not exactly science but it is probably more science than what the coach was going with. It felt like it was go with plan A until it didn't work and then figure out a plan B on the fly. Plan A was a short bench. Plan B was only deepening the bench when the game became troublesome. Typically, you don't have guys on your team fouling out with a 20 point lead. So it is either close or your behind and you are now going with a plan B which includes a guy you spend most of the season limiting their playing time. I wouldn't have cared if the Bison would have been a 6 seed in the Summit tournament if it meant a deeper, more experienced bench. A year when it was wide open, there was no one to turn to when Plan A wasn't working.

http://www.kvrr.com/2017/03/17/coach...-dave-richman/

Dave Richman on kvrr tonight... must listen
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    The way he played Dex was actually one of the smartest things he did. He isn't going to give you 40 minutes a night, not at the intensity he plays at. He comes off the bench, the bigs on the other team are getting into playing defense with their hands instead of their feet because they are working towards being gassed, Dex is fresh, and he got a lot of guys into foul trouble. Then it was forcing a mismatch because the other coach has to go his bench. Near the end of the year, opponents were sitting their starting big guys when Dex came in and trying to flip it around on the Bison giving their big guy a breather. While the Bison weren't dictating a whole lot by the end of the year, they were still changing their opponents' regular rotation in the front court.

Now figuring out the proper playing time for everyone else is not exactly science but it is probably more science than what the coach was going with. It felt like it was go with plan A until it didn't work and then figure out a plan B on the fly. Plan A was a short bench. Plan B was only deepening the bench when the game became troublesome. Typically, you don't have guys on your team fouling out with a 20 point lead. So it is either close or your behind and you are now going with a plan B which includes a guy you spend most of the season limiting their playing time. I wouldn't have cared if the Bison would have been a 6 seed in the Summit tournament if it meant a deeper, more experienced bench. A year when it was wide open, there was no one to turn to when Plan A wasn't working.
    There is some truth to what you say. However when other teams go 4-5 deep on the bench means there is not a big drop off of talent between players. This means their starters are not that much better than bench or bench is really good. Out problem was the drop off was very visible and that is because the development of our bench. Is that the coaches fault or wrong guys on the bench not learning.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    There is some truth to what you say. However when other teams go 4-5 deep on the bench means there is not a big drop off of talent between players. This means their starters are not that much better than bench or bench is really good. Out problem was the drop off was very visible and that is because the development of our bench. Is that the coaches fault or wrong guys on the bench not learning.
    I completely agree with the development part. Certainly there are many variables we don't know like how practices are going and things like that, but part of the process should be looking past each 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I completely agree with the development part. Certainly there are many variables we don't know like how practices are going and things like that, but part of the process should be looking past each 40 minutes.
    Exactly, season long look to total minutes played .
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

I see a real drop off in development of big players, as noted by several posts. Player recruiting and development is the only important thing until the conference tournament. The Summit league is only going to get a single invite to the big dance. It seems like depending on Dex to control the inside and prepare the team for the last half of the season had its limits. The Bison are starting from scratch again next year inside. Tough place to be after a season with the three hopefuls seeing very limited playing time this year.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gabisonfan View Post
    I see a real drop off in development of big players, as noted by several posts. Player recruiting and development is the only important thing until the conference tournament. The Summit league is only going to get a single invite to the big dance. It seems like depending on Dex to control the inside and prepare the team for the last half of the season had its limits. The Bison are starting from scratch again next year inside. Tough place to be after a season with the three hopefuls seeing very limited playing time this year.
    Starting from scratch seems to be a bit of a stretch considering the guy who started the majority of our games last year is still on the roster. I actually think Dylan progressed a fair amount last season. He was less timid on offense and his 15 foot jumper is smooth and something Dexter didn't have. He works the high post, screen and roll and cutting away from the ball very well on the offensive end. The thing he needs to improved is obviously his back to the basket game. In a few games this season I did see him attempt a little bit of a back to the basket game to open the game but then that was it. It is tough to get in that rhythm only playing 10 minutes a game though so I'm hopefully with another off season of improving his footwork and getting more playing time next year that he can be an effective 5 for us. I know a lot of people on here aren't fans of his but I still see potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Exactly, season long look to total minutes played .
    Dex played a grand total of 43 minutes his redshirt freshman year.... just sayin.

There's still a lot of time left for Geu to develop into the player we all hope he can be.