Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    You thought this team was "good" the last half of the conference?

We had flashes this year but overall it was a major disappointment. I love watching basketball and Maybe my expectations are to high but I expect more out of a NDSU team.
    I simply said I enjoy people over reacting. Yes, at NDSU a lot of fans have unreal expectations. I thought we stunk down the stretch and overachieved much of the regular season. I didn't think we were a very good team and I though Dave and staff did a tremendous job of putting an average team on top of the Summit for 90% of the season. If 14-4 is crappy then we are literally blessed. I am not a whiner and bitcher. Sometimes I feel lucky that our down years are ones like this and we are a part of a program where we want to get better. We weren't very good and have a very young club with some nice pieces coming in. Hopefully we continue to improve. Not sure what else you want me say. I have been higher on many other past teams, I thought this team was pretty darn average. I would go to bat with Paul Miller any day of the week. He will be one of my all time top 5 Bison. I am a realist. It is sports.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

You thought this team was "good" the last half of the conference?

We had flashes this year but overall it was a major disappointment. I love watching basketball and Maybe my expectations are to high but I expect more out of a NDSU team.
    Got to agree with FANatic on this. NDSU had great first half then faded. SDSU had horrible first half, then put it together. Which would I consider better? They had enough talent to win this year; there was no over the top dominant team.

Droughts happen in basketball but it was way too common with this team this season. Looking at the personnel we have now, will they be more suited for up-tempo or half-court grind?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Got to agree with FANatic on this. NDSU had great first half then faded. SDSU had horrible first half, then put it together. Which would I consider better? They had enough talent to win this year; there was no over the top dominant team.
    Yep, SDSU has the best player in the history of the Summit league and is a .500 team. Congrats! Obviously they won the tourney. They were the best when it counted. There isn't a diehard Jack fan that thinks their rookie coach is any good. You know it, I know it. I will take what we have. It is a system, not a superstar and spare parts with some transfers. This has nothing to do with SDSU. It has to do with NDSU, and we stunk at the end of the year. It happened and I am over it. Hope we have a great off season. It is funny how the same people complain about everything...in every sport. You know your glass could be half full you know.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

It's ok to be disappointed when you expect more. I didn't expect to win the conference tournament. I also didn't expect to get our ass handed to us by the 7th seed, in an uninspiring, quitting effort.

If the football team lost to James Madison by 30+ points after getting blown out in the first half and basically quit coaching and playing, you're damn right fans would have been all over that program.

I guess the big picture long term of where we were at this year was what was disappointing. 3 years ago we were very excited and many on here were wait until the year that Dex and Dupree are Seniors with AJ and Paul being Jr's. The future looked very bright but didn't pan out how any of us expected with the "young" team we had then. We even seemed to regress as a team overall from last year and our defense was just head shaking at times.

I guess the big picture long term of where we were at this year was what was disappointing. 3 years ago we were very excited and many on here were wait until the year that Dex and Dupree are Seniors with AJ and Paul being Jr's. The future looked very bright but didn't pan out how any of us expected with the "young" team we had then. We even seemed to regress as a team overall from last year and our defense was just head shaking at times.
    The team's been good and the programs been good. I don't buy this notion that the team was average and overachieved this year. Was it average last year too? It sure wasn't great 2 years ago but the kids pulled through and had good seasons.

What do we got next year? Probably another good team with glaring holes and question marks. The life of a mid major. It does suck that we can't really get anything going on in the inside other than 1 player and there are more questions about that next year.

Part of the issue is that we have been spoiled, the 09 and 14 teams were very complete teams...star studded teams. You won't find a lot of schools at our level that have had two teams like that in a couple of decades, much less five years. The standard that we judge our program is very high and that in my opinion is a good thing. We lost that level expectation on the women's side and you can just see what that program has devolved into.

While I have some concerns I know Dave is a good coach, the job he did to get us back the dance with just LA, KB and some young players was phenomenal coaching. My only concern right now is that we've kind of stagnated, I'm still excited about about a lot of things with our program but if we are going to take that next step I think some things need to improve. I think offensively we need to get better, we've kind of become a bit one dimensional. Maybe we need to be a little bit more willing to develop some of these younger players as well, they are going to make mistakes but if things start clicking like we saw with Tyson it can be fun to watch. I hope to see things start to click for Gue next year.

I'm excited about recruiting, the Dickinson kid is a great opportunity for the coaching staff to develop what could be a special talent. I hope the staff can work their magic and find another gem late in recruiting this year.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Yup, in basketball people don't remember what you do in January. They remember what you do in March!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    I simply said I enjoy people over reacting. Yes, at NDSU a lot of fans have unreal expectations. I thought we stunk down the stretch and overachieved much of the regular season. I didn't think we were a very good team and I though Dave and staff did a tremendous job of putting an average team on top of the Summit for 90% of the season. If 14-4 is crappy then we are literally blessed. I am not a whiner and bitcher. Sometimes I feel lucky that our down years are ones like this and we are a part of a program where we want to get better. We weren't very good and have a very young club with some nice pieces coming in. Hopefully we continue to improve. Not sure what else you want me say. I have been higher on many other past teams, I thought this team was pretty darn average. I would go to bat with Paul Miller any day of the week. He will be one of my all time top 5 Bison. I am a realist. It is sports.
    Which is rather disappointing seeing as how we are 3 years removed from a win in the dance. I would have hoped the recruits from that would be studs by now. Hasn't happened and IMO this years team underachieved. That loss to IUPUI better light a fire under the coaches and players because the expectations cannot and should not be lowered.