Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Underwhelmed? Who?
    Contending for summit league championships regular season or tournament every year

And Saul inherited woody and crew your dipshittery is top notch
    But Saul personally built the greatest NDSU team in history....even better than Mile's Woody team.

I have some concerns as well. Mine are as basic as "coaching". There does not seem to be many "in half" adjustments made. Looked to me that our goal was to get to halftime and then make adjustments. Basketball moves to fast to sit around until halftime without changing it up if it is not working. This also falls on the players to adjust during the game as well. Are they not able to be instructed while being subbed out or during a timeout. The team to mean seemed to play scared last year. AJ just needs to get out of his own head and shot the ball and play the defense he can. His defense last year was better and not making as dumb fouls and sitting on the bench as before. P-Smooth just take over the game and do it. Now for the rest of the team. Deng just needs to "slow" down a bit. He seems to rush to much and just let the game come to you. Ward will be good and made freshman mistakes last year, no more of them this year. Eliason will need to show improvement with more minutes this year, if not write him off. That same thing kind of goes for D. Miller as well. Maybe Hunter can be the guy that rallies this team from the point and makes it all work. Fingers crossed. The young guys coming in, time will tell.

But yes I do as many other do have concerns with MBB. Now that being said I have more concerns on the WBB side. Make or break year coming for Walseth. Need to show improvement on the court and on the bench with her and her staff.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Underwhelmed? Who?
    Contending for summit league championships regular season or tournament every year

And Saul inherited woody and crew your dipshittery is top notch
    News flash ... North Dakota State SHOULD contend every year for a Summit league championship. They've got great facilities, great fan support, they do not contend with hockey, they have the ability to positively leverage the Fball team, athletic budget is one of the best in the conference, they have stability, they have history behind them.

They should be contending ... and frankly over the last few years Richman's teams have done just that ... contended.

But the team is truly becoming his ... the recruits are his, the coaches are his ... and frankly in my eyes there are storm clouds in the horizon. Khy leaving seems symptomatic of a bigger issue. Why does a front line 2-year starter since his freshman year leave? Deng Gue ... arguably the most athletic player seems under-utilized. There are other concerns - each one in and of itself probably dismiss-able and explainable. It doesn't take too long before those storm clouds to gather and become indicative of a larger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wcb_sas View Post
    News flash ... North Dakota State SHOULD contend every year for a Summit league championship. They've got great facilities, great fan support, they do not contend with hockey, they have the ability to positively leverage the Fball team, athletic budget is one of the best in the conference, they have stability, they have history behind them.

They should be contending ... and frankly over the last few years Richman's teams have done just that ... contended.

But the team is truly becoming his ... the recruits are his, the coaches are his ... and frankly in my eyes there are storm clouds in the horizon. Khy leaving seems symptomatic of a bigger issue. Why does a front line 2-year starter since his freshman year leave? Deng Gue ... arguably the most athletic player seems under-utilized. There are other concerns - each one in and of itself probably dismiss-able and explainable. It doesn't take too long before those storm clouds to gather and become indicative of a larger problem.
    I think it's mostly symptomatic of the team taking a big steamy dump at midcourt of the Premier Center for their SL Tourney opener when they've overachieved there in every previous year under Richman. That game left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and that's when the "issues" are focused on the most. Just take a look at this thread (which had to be locked it got so bad) from the early stages of the most successful season in NDSU men's basketball history. A lot of "bad things are on the horizon for this team" posts. It happens.

All that said I think it's perfectly fine to voice concerns but it's also perfectly fine to point out the faults in those concerns. Remember, after the NCAA run in 2009 Saul's teams had 3 straight first round exits in the SL Tourney. I think after the last few years we get caught up in placing the same expectations on the men's basketball team that we put on the football team but Richman's program doesn't have the rock solid foundation that Klieman's program has... not even close. You can tout our facilities and all but most of these current players were recruited when the team was in the pile known as the old BSA or lifting weights in a closed supermarket playing their games 10 miles from campus.

This year is a big year for Richman but what year isn't? If he wins 60%+ of his games again we'll be just fine. Let's just hope they avoid another stinkbomb being dropped in Sioux Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think it's mostly symptomatic of the team taking a big steamy dump at midcourt of the Premier Center for their SL Tourney opener when they've overachieved there in every previous year under Richman. That game left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and that's when the "issues" are focused on the most. Just take a look at this thread (which had to be locked it got so bad) from the early stages of the most successful season in NDSU men's basketball history. A lot of "bad things are on the horizon for this team" posts. It happens.

All that said I think it's perfectly fine to voice concerns but it's also perfectly fine to point out the faults in those concerns. Remember, after the NCAA run in 2009 Saul's teams had 3 straight first round exits in the SL Tourney. I think after the last few years we get caught up in placing the same expectations on the men's basketball team that we put on the football team but Richman's program doesn't have the rock solid foundation that Klieman's program has... not even close. You can tout our facilities and all but most of these current players were recruited when the team was in the pile known as the old BSA or lifting weights in an closed supermarket.

This year is a big year for Richman but what year isn't? If he wins 60%+ of his games again we'll be just fine. Let's just hope they avoid another stinkbomb being dropped in Sioux Falls.

And in the 2nd half of the conference season.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    [/B]
    And in the 2nd half of the conference season.
    As long as they take care of business in Sioux Falls I'll deal with regular season lapses. They lost 4 of their last 6 going into the 2015-16 tourney and then made the title game as a #4 seed. That's the double edged sword of championship week. Make it to Tuesday night to play for a shot at the dance and disappointment in the regular season is forgiven. Get bounced in the first round after winning 70% of your regular season conference games and it's like the regular season never even happened.

I don't have much to say considering I thought Otzelberger was killing us last year in that zone, but it looks like he might be turning it around. We'll see. From an outsider, Richman reminds me of Nagy because he's a super boring dude with zero personality. No way he's as full of himself as Nagy was though. Richman is probably a good coach but doesn't seem like he can relate to players at all.

You guys should have hired Craig Smith when Saul left. Not sure where Craig was at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    I don't have much to say considering I thought Otzelberger was killing us last year in that zone, but it looks like he might be turning it around. We'll see. From an outsider, Richman reminds me of Nagy because he's a super boring dude with zero personality. No way he's as full of himself as Nagy was though. Richman is probably a good coach but doesn't seem like he can relate to players at all.

You guys should have hired Craig Smith when Saul left. Not sure where Craig was at that time.
    As I recall Craig was hired by USD about 2 weeks before Saul left for Ohio in the spring of 2014.

EDIT: Craig was hired at USD on 3/23/14 and Saul was hired by Ohio on 4/6/14. Richman was officially promoted on 4/8/14.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

Agreed. Was really upset that we missed the boat on Craig Smith - and at the time that was less of a dig at Richman as it was a desire to see Smith on our bench.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Hard to follow the personalities of Saul and Tim. Dave is not as bubbly and that is fine. He needs to stop the slides though and get the best out of the players. Besides Dex the players just looked last year like they had no emotion. They looked scared to take charge and win. Looked like a bunch of individuals playing a team game.