Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Default Re: Bison Basketball Team ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Hard to follow the personalities of Saul and Tim. Dave is not as bubbly and that is fine. He needs to stop the slides though and get the best out of the players. Besides Dex the players just looked last year like they had no emotion. They looked scared to take charge and win. Looked like a bunch of individuals playing a team game.
    But that's my point ... Saul and Tim as head coaches had Dave on the bench ... they complemented each other. Their outgoing "bubbly" personalities were offset by Dave's heads down all-business approach. They made each other better playing off of each other's strengths. Now ... Dave has his clone as a lead assistant. There's not as much complementary as they are collaborative ... that's part of the problem. Especially when coaches these days are expected to be as much psychologist, father, friend and priest as they are coach!

Quote Originally Posted by wcb_sas View Post
    But that's my point ... Saul and Tim as head coaches had Dave on the bench ... they complemented each other. Their outgoing "bubbly" personalities were offset by Dave's heads down all-business approach. They made each other better playing off of each other's strengths. Now ... Dave has his clone as a lead assistant. There's not as much complementary as they are collaborative ... that's part of the problem. Especially when coaches these days are expected to be as much psychologist, father, friend and priest as they are coach!
    Do you get tired on your soapbox preaching about how much you know about basketball culture
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Unbison, legitimate question...

Do you really think everything is just fine with the basketball team? Even though I am posting this smart aleck photo below, Id really like to know your answer.

I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Unbison, legitimate question...

Do you really think everything is just fine with the basketball team? Even though I am posting this smart aleck photo below, Id really like to know your answer.

I don't find anything alarming khabellis leaving is more a sign of the times then anything
    Coaching decisions as to how much who plays I can't second guess as I'm not there
    We have been in contention for a league title every year he has coached
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I don't find anything alarming khabellis leaving is more a sign of the times then anything
    Coaching decisions as to how much who plays I can't second guess as I'm not there
    how is losing in 1st round being in contention?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Disagree ... kids who are 2-year starters, a leader in minutes played ... do not leave programs all that often. Kids who aren't playing or who aren't getting the minutes they think they deserve leave ... not kids who have been starting since his foot hit the ground in Fargo.

NDSU SHOULD be in contention for a league title every year ... regardless of who coaches ... the program has too many strengths as compared to the other conference schools not to be able to attract quality student athletes. A top 4 finish every year should be the bare minimum expectation.

Grizzled is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wcb_sas View Post
    Disagree ... kids who are 2-year starters, a leader in minutes played ... do not leave programs all that often. Kids who aren't playing or who aren't getting the minutes they think they deserve leave ... not kids who have been starting since his foot hit the ground in Fargo.
    5 years ago I would have agreed with you but times have changed and you are seeing more and more kids transfer (especially in college basketball). Getting minutes early now at a low level program is almost becoming as damaging as not getting minutes as low major teams are becoming developmental programs for mid to high major if a kid has eligibility.

GRAFTONBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    5 years ago I would have agreed with you but times have changed and you are seeing more and more kids transfer (especially in college basketball). Getting minutes early now at a low level program is almost becoming as damaging as not getting minutes as low major teams are becoming developmental programs for mid to high major if a kid has eligibility.
    I understand location most likely played a factor for Khy, but did he transfer to a mid to high major?

Quote Originally Posted by GRAFTONBISON View Post
    I understand location most likely played a factor for Khy, but did he transfer to a mid to high major?
    He transferred to Pacific, which I would argue is a step down from NDSU. They play in the WCC with Gonzaga, St. Marys, and BYU....the rest of the conference is dreadful. Still, the WCC is a step up from the SL when compared in a vacuum. When you factor in how terrible Pacific was a program, that makes the move more puzzling. Pacific was 11-22 as they welcomed in new coach, Damon Stoudamire (former UA PG and NBA vet). Pacific is closer to home for Khy, but you're heading to program that literally has NO CHANCE of making the Tournament during his tenure. Maybe Stoudamire turns it around and they start building something...I doubt they get to a point of challenging Zaga/St Marys/BYU. I don't get the move unless he was really uncomfortable in the program. If the move was made to "play at higher level" I think it missed the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    I think there are a lot of kids using the graduate transfer option ... particularly as an option to move up a level or conference tier and there are "lack of playing time" transfers ... but I have a hard time finding transfers like Khy. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Attached is a link of 2017 college bball transfers:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017

The list has 749 D1 transfers with an average star rating of 2.32. Of that 428 (57%) have immediate eligibility - i.e. moving down a level or a graduate transfer.
    Of the subset Khy is part of, 93 of the 321 non-immediate eligible transfers are Sophomore standing 29%.

I don't think Khy going from NDSU to Pacific is necessarily a "developmental" move upwards and maybe it is simple as a California kid wanting to get back home and not spend winters in Fargo ND.