Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 11/29 @ #7 Xavier

Default Re: 11/29 @ #7 Xavier

I haven't been complaining about the weave as much this year as it seems we have also been running that pick and roll offense off the those same screens with multiple pick and rolls. It will be interesting with matchups and making the D decide if they switch or not or do we run the roll out of it or does the weave guy cut with the ball to the basketball. It seems to be adding another dimension that may really work well. Everybody keeps passing on the opportunities though and no one has been even trying to get to the rim. One word describes what we have been missing on O AGGRESSIVENESS

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    And also lost games to some real stinkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think pretty much every NDSU team has lost some to stinkers.

For the record I don't care what offense we run as long as it works.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I don't think we won games with our amazing offense last year, it was defense.

I didn't mind the weave with LA, it worked. He could create a good look at the end of the shot clock.

That said our best teams didn't run the weave. Those teams won some big games against some elite teams.
    Nailed it.

Couple of thoughts [some may have been covered already].

Khy - Where has he been? After the Summit League Tourney last year and seeing how much size he put on this offseason, I was expecting an LA-type leader. Maybe that's unfair and it's easy to forget that he's still only a Soph. He needs to be a leader like LA was in his senior season, running the offense and scoring when it needs to happen. Watching from a distance, it looks like he's been a great mentor for Tyson...I've noticed Khy pulling him aside and giving advice after good and bad plays. That type of leadership is big. I still expect big things from him.

Tyson - I have loved this kid's game since I saw him play during a scrimmage. He's long, athletic and moves effortlessly. Once it clicks for him and shots start to fall...there won't be another guard like him in the SL. I remember when the coaches compared him to Tayshawn Prince and I laughed. I'm not laughing anymore. If he can progress like Khy, we'll have once of best defending guards in the SL and a guy who should be able to create a shot for himself.

Geu - I've watched Geu since HS and have repeatedly said the fans will love this kid. Remember, he's only been playing organized basketball since 10th grade. He's put on weight, he's coachable, and he works hard. He doesn't have a position right now, but they have to find a way to utilize him. HAVE TO.

AJ/Miller - Most of it has already been said. It's not fair to judge them based on the Xavier game, but they cannot disappear in big games or we're toast.

Dex - Sometimes I think we need to just feed him and let him work. He has amazing footwork and creates against bigger guys. Go back to the Gonzaga game that nobody gave us chance to keep it close. He worked his butt off and was incredibly efficient. He looks to be in great shape...maybe he needs more sets run for him. Shit, SDSU fed Daum consistently during their game against UWM last weekend and he went for 32. They aren't the same player, but at least SDSU recognized they needed to get him touches. Sometimes, I think Dex only gets his because of effort (rebounding and put backs).

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Dex - Sometimes I think we need to just feed him and let him work. He has amazing footwork and creates against bigger guys. Go back to the Gonzaga game that nobody gave us chance to keep it close. He worked his butt off and was incredibly efficient. He looks to be in great shape...maybe he needs more sets run for him. Shit, SDSU fed Daum consistently during their game against UWM last weekend and he went for 32. They aren't the same player, but at least SDSU recognized they needed to get him touches. Sometimes, I think Dex only gets his because of effort (rebounding and put backs).
    And you nailed that. Nothing drives me crazier as a former center, than how the current style of basketball often overly omits the post from offense. He has been the most consistent offensive threat for a long time.....
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 12-01-2016 at 04:13 PM.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    And you nailed that. Nothing drives me crazier than a former center, than how the current style of basketball often overly omits the post from offense. He has been the most consistent offensive threat for a long time.....
    Exactly, when he gets the ball 15' from the basket on the baseline and faces up these big guys can't match his quickness and he can finish in a variety of ways around the rim. I've noticed us getting it to him a little bit more but I'd like to see the ball go to him at least every other possession if not more and make the defense key on him. He's also a pretty good passer so when he gets doubled he can get out of it and put us at an advantage and create open looks for other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Exactly, when he gets the ball 15' from the basket on the baseline and faces up these big guys can't match his quickness and he can finish in a variety of ways around the rim. I've noticed us getting it to him a little bit more but I'd like to see the ball go to him at least every other possession if not more and make the defense key on him. He's also a pretty good passer so when he gets doubled he can get out of it and put us at an advantage and create open looks for other guys.
    I'd love to see what happens if they tried "two bigs" with Deng at 4 and see if Dex can get him the ball after they feed Dex.

Deng doesn't seem to me like he's really a big. He seems to be more of a perimeter player. Maybe he can play that position but he hasn't shown any ability to play in the paint that I have seen. He could be a matchup nightmare as a 3 and stretch 4 if he get hit his outside shot more consistently. He is best at beating people off the dribble and in a slashing role. He would be an outstanding wing at a bigtime college if he was a lot more polished.

Also, with Khy, he is driving me crazy too. He needs to quit turning the ball over and become more of a facilitator. But I do think asking a sophomore Khy to become a leader like senior LA is a bit unrealistic. LA was a special, special, special player in his senior season and Khy could turn out to have a great career without ever becoming like LA.