Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Giving Day

Default Re: NDSU Giving Day

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Well, over $300K raised. I have no idea if that meets expectations, but sure sounds good to me for one day.

Also my understanding is that this is the inaugural year so maybe in subsequent years, it will gain momentum as more people hear about it. I think what was raised was wonderful.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Correct. Plus the purpose of the post was to be a dick. Plain and simple.
    Ah no. It is to point on the lack of ability or willingness to raise money. The meeting I was involved had nothing to do with tickets. But to be an involved with football games this year. No availability. My thought if someone wants to right a check this year, you figure out a way to make it work. And maybe it wasn't a big enough check. But considering dollars discussed on this board, to me it was a significant and worth the time to work with. But the company instead has chosen to spend their marketing budget next year at the college world series.

As for the giving day. Myself or my wife did not receive any notification from NDSU in regards to this. I did receive a request last evening from a professor I know to contribute.

Additionally, and I find interesting. Teammakers/ Athletics Department and Development foundation are really distinct and separate entities. Teammakers will make it very clear yesterday doesn't help them. Which is really short sighted, if you think its good for the Development foundation, it would be good for the athletic department.

Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
    Ah no. It is to point on the lack of ability or willingness to raise money. The meeting I was involved had nothing to do with tickets. But to be an involved with football games this year. No availability. My thought if someone wants to right a check this year, you figure out a way to make it work. And maybe it wasn't a big enough check. But considering dollars discussed on this board, to me it was a significant and worth the time to work with. But the company instead has chosen to spend their marketing budget next year at the college world series.

As for the giving day. Myself or my wife did not receive any notification from NDSU in regards to this. I did receive a request last evening from a professor I know to contribute.

Additionally, and I find interesting. Teammakers/ Athletics Department and Development foundation are really distinct and separate entities. Teammakers will make it very clear yesterday doesn't help them. Which is really short sighted, if you think its good for the Development foundation, it would be good for the athletic department.
    There are a finite number of tickets/sponsorship opportunities. The Dome is full. To "figure out a way to make it work" requires kicking someone else out. If you increase more sponsorship opportunities, everyone on this board will complain because they can't see tackles for loss. Why is this so hard to understand?

I have no idea how you didn't get emails about this. I got about 15 from NDSU yesterday.

Teammakers is not the Athletic Department. Teammakers is a fundraising arm to pay for scholarships for student athletes. The Athletic Department has a number of ways to give. Here is a website where you can learn more: http://ndsuathleticfund.com/

The NDSU Giving Day had many options to give. There were options to contribute to the Athletic Department. No it didn't benefit Teammakers but again Teammakers has a distinct mission separate from the Development Foundation.

I really have no idea why you think there is an unwillingness to raise money. They raised over $300K yesterday.

I got multiple emails about it, my friend I know also got a ton of emails at least that is what he told me.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    There are a finite number of tickets/sponsorship opportunities. The Dome is full. To "figure out a way to make it work" requires kicking someone else out. If you increase more sponsorship opportunities, everyone on this board will complain because they can't see tackles for loss. Why is this so hard to understand?

I have no idea how you didn't get emails about this. I got about 15 from NDSU yesterday.

Teammakers is not the Athletic Department. Teammakers is a fundraising arm to pay for scholarships for student athletes. The Athletic Department has a number of ways to give. Here is a website where you can learn more: http://ndsuathleticfund.com/

The NDSU Giving Day had many options to give. There were options to contribute to the Athletic Department. No it didn't benefit Teammakers but again Teammakers has a distinct mission separate from the Development Foundation.

I really have no idea why you think there is an unwillingness to raise money. They raised over $300K yesterday.
    Wasn't inside the Dome and didn't involve tickets. On campus opportunity. Seems to me you came find the space on campus. But maybe sold out.

Couple of comments I heard today.

My impression of NDSU fundraising is this: arrogance

NDSU is DI in everything except fundraising.

I will give you an example. Saturday UND is having a gathering at the Empire State Building before the Sioux hockey game. They will expect to raise a million plus. Hmmmmm, think about that for all the people that think the target field game is a bad ideal.

Wasn't inside the Dome and didn't involve tickets. On campus opportunity. Seems to me you came find the space on campus. But maybe sold out.

I will give you an example. Saturday UND is having a gathering at the Empire State Building before the Sioux hockey game. They will expect to raise a million plus. Hmmmmm, think about that for all the people that think the target field game is a bad ideal.
    Clarify this: "expect" to raise a million in NewYork or "HAVE" raised a million? Big difference.

Anybody can say anything. We have to take your word for it I guess that you actually did hear the comments by others that: "my impression of NDSU fundraising is arrogance and NDSU is D1 in everything except fundraising." Sounds a little too cute to me.

How would participating in Giving Day be classified as arrogance? This is NDSU's inaugural attemp at Giving Day. What specific qualities did you observe yesterday that would be classified as "arrogance."

What is your agenda???

So, your buddy thinks his idea is awesome. Maybe they don't. Maybe it conflicts with another sponsor. Maybe this year wasn't the right time. There is a lot to consider other than just "my buddy thinks its a great idea and they shouldn't leave money on the table."

Based on your other comments, I am not surprised with the "feedback that you are hearing today." I haven't heard the same. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1952 View Post
    Clarify this: "expect" to raise a million in NewYork or "HAVE" raised a million? Big difference.

Anybody can say anything. We have to take your word for it I guess that you actually did hear the comments by others that: "my impression of NDSU fundraising is arrogance and NDSU is D1 in everything except fundraising." Sounds a little too cute to me.

How would participating in Giving Day be classified as arrogance? This is NDSU's inaugural attemp at Giving Day. What specific qualities did you observe yesterday that would be classified as "arrogance."

What is your agenda???
    My agenda is quite simple. And it is uphill battle, but just to point out how much NDSU leaves on the table. You hear the continue need to raise money, but when a company tries to give the university money, whether its the Team Makers or Athletic department, made to difficult and they moved on.

I graduated in 1988 from NDSU, why they don't have my e mail, I don't know. But considering I give every year when the kid calls, you would think maybe there would a line on a form to add my information if I ask. Or maybe this, get my e mail from whoever sells tickets, cause GoBison.com has my info.

I didn't say Giving day was arrogance, they said the fundraising components are arrogant.

UND has a pretty interesting program for fundraising. They attempt to hook you in prior to graduating. Start small, and then advance you through the giving programs they have in place. Sat in with a client, UND grad, has always gave, but two UND fundraisers came in with a plan for the graduate to give $250k over the next five years. NDSU doesn't have a plan like this in place. You mention this to Development, they have every excuse why they don't do this.

As for million dollar will be raised in New York. Unique event. Based on who they invited and who they know is attending, they can project the benefit. As a result they will expect a million of new giving from this event.

You mention this to Development, they have every excuse why they don't do this.

As for million dollar will be raised in New York. Unique event. Based on who they invited and who they know is attending, they can project the benefit. As a result they will expect a million of new giving from this event.

Are they valid reasons or reasons you just don't like?

Do you know that NDSU does not have these types of events?

but when a company tries to give the university money, whether its the Team Makers or Athletic department, made to difficult and they moved on.
    It doesn't sound like to me like they wanted to GIVE the university money. Giving means they get nothing in return. To me it sounds like they were trying to buy advertising or sponsorship to further themselves. That is greatly different than giving that is buying. There are many things that can be in play when it comes to exclusivity in other contracts or just companies they want to align with or a bunch of other possibilities.