Page 49 of 302 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Fatigue

Default Re: Bison Fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    huh? we'd be able to grab the top 4-5 recruits from sdsu, Uni, usd...etc. and grab more Minnesota/twin cities kids and even a few gopher/Iowa recruits
    Would we really pull those kids to Fargo if we arent winning national championships like we are now?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I believe the answer is yes because tradition and culture reign supreme.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Dean Bresciani & NDSU have a big announcement coming up!

FBS MOVE BABY!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Would we really pull those kids to Fargo if we arent winning national championships like we are now?
    Hmmm.....Pretty sure that answer is yes but who knows? An FBS NDSU team that has the same culture of winning consistently and putting guys in the NFL is going to open us up to a whole different pool of talent. I'm not saying it will always be superior talent but there is a pile of recruits that are FBS or bust. Right now we are stockpiled with winners and hard nosed kids that were tweeners during the recruiting process. Let's face it, kids that are driven to succeed want to win and we certainly provide that here. With that said, I can't imagine we would lose very many recruiting battles to local FCS schools just because they have access to the playoffs and post consistent 8-9 win seasons.

Maybe some of the old players can help answer this question....If you had to pick, would you rather play for an NDSU type school that has excellent fan support, better facilities ( I'm hypothetically talking FBS level student athlete amenities not a new Dome), consistent 8 win seasons along with descent bowl opportunities or play for an SDSU or UNI type school that traditionally competes annually for a league title and expects to make deep playoff runs, only has mediocre fan support, better than average facilities, but may offer more playing time since your a stud recruit.

So...would it be the Mountain West then? If so...I'd get to drive down to San Diego State every other year.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Hmmm.....Pretty sure that answer is yes but who knows? An FBS NDSU team that has the same culture of winning consistently and putting guys in the NFL is going to open us up to a whole different pool of talent. I'm not saying it will always be superior talent but there is a pile of recruits that are FBS or bust. Right now we are stockpiled with winners and hard nosed kids that were tweeners during the recruiting process. Let's face it, kids that are driven to succeed want to win and we certainly provide that here. With that said, I can't imagine we would lose very many recruiting battles to local FCS schools just because they have access to the playoffs and post consistent 8-9 win seasons.

Maybe some of the old players can help answer this question....If you had to pick, would you rather play for an NDSU type school that has excellent fan support, better facilities ( I'm hypothetically talking FBS level student athlete amenities not a new Dome), consistent 8 win seasons along with descent bowl opportunities or play for an SDSU or UNI type school that traditionally competes annually for a league title and expects to make deep playoff runs, only has mediocre fan support, better than average facilities, but may offer more playing time since your a stud recruit.
    Well the thing is we will have to recruit a different player. Just as we did when we moved up. Youre betting on the come with 8 win seasons. Plus you are talking about
    recruiting against UNI and SDSU? We will be recruiting against the Big 10. If we are going to still be recruiting against UNI we may as well stay where we are at.

So you need to ask the question would they rather come to Fargo or South Bend? East Lansing, Iowa City etc etc etc. Same questions the walk on and PWO ask now and we get a couple because they may get more money at NDSU and a chance to be on a championship team. But now that we are in the bigs we cant play that game with top recruits. Plus the allure of playing for a National Championship wont be in the cards for a very long time.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 10-01-2019 at 06:01 AM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    Maybe.... unless SDSU takes our spot at the top of the FCS world and wins a few national championships in a row in which case they become the "come here and play for a championship" school and gets those recruits that we used to steal from SD/MN/NE/etc... Kids that realize that they'll never be a p5 starter but might have a chance to make some noise on the FCS level and get noticed or could choose to go to a mid level FBS school (like Wyoming... or us if we got into MWC) and AT BEST play in some meaningless bowl game. And would we really want to just be taking the recruits from SDSU/UNI/USD? We already get the bulk of the players that we're interested in, including some from MN/IA. It really sounds like you're advocating moving up and then taking FCS talent and turning them into FBS talent.

Aside from the OOC opportunities every year, I really see G5 as almost a step down from where we are now. I'll take the MVFC competition (top to bottom) over the MAC/MWC/Sunbelt/CUSA/AAC (top to bottom). Would I love to see us playing Oklahoma, USC, Bama, etc..? Of course. But at what expense? I don't want to play them just to play them.

Without a playoff/title game the G5 is boring.... and you'd REALLY start seeing fatigue unless we found a way to consistently win our conference and some of the better bowl games that the conference would be eligible to participate in.
    100% agree. G5 hands out participation awards is all you are playing for.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Dean Bresciani & NDSU have a big announcement coming up!

FBS MOVE BABY!!
    When is the announcement scheduled? This sounds more like a SiouxVolley prediction. I expect better from you Chap....
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Well the thing is we will have to recruit a different player. Just as we did when we moved up. Youre betting on the come with 8 win seasons. Plus you are talking about
    recruiting against UNI and SDSU? We will be recruiting against the Big 10. If we are going to still be recruiting against UNI we may as well stay where we are at.

So you need to ask the question would they rather come to Fargo or South Bend? East Lansing, Iowa City etc etc etc. Same questions the walk on and PWO ask now and we get a couple because they may get more money at NDSU and a chance to be on a championship team. But now that we are in the bigs we cant play that game with top recruits. Plus the allure of playing for a National Championship wont be in the cards for a very long time.
    I was responding to your post above asking if we would still pull in those kids to Fargo if we aren't winning national championships. Obviously we would have to recruit higher than SDSU/UNI. It should be noted though we would have 17 more scholarships to use adding depth. We have faired well against FBS competition with our current talent structure so 17 more of those kind of players is going to win a lot of FBS games. I would assume the skill guys is where we would need to access next level talent to better compete( WR, RB, DB's, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    100% agree. G5 hands out participation awards is all you are playing for.
    100% agreed. The Gap is widening quickly though between the G5 and P5 in terms of facilities and dollars. There is going to be a split at some point.