Page 202 of 302 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 3020

Thread: Bison Fatigue

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bison Fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    All available evidence says recruiting would improve dramatically. Unless of course you believe that we wont have success at the "next level". Believe me, I think we do a hell of a job recruiting here, but to say that even moderately successful G5 programs dont have better recruiting classes than us is delusional. But I agree- if we assume that we will suck at the next level, our current recruiting classes are probably better.

There is a legit argument to be made about exposure. Our current exposure is BONKERS. It would be tough to get MORE exposure at G5. But it all comes down to how good do you think we would be at G5? If we suck- we will absolutely, no doubt about it, get LESS exposure and it will hurt badly. But if we win 10-12 games a year, this would assume that we are getting into Fiesta or cotton bowl games every 2-4 years, and playing and presumably beating a P5 team or two every year or so- and I cant imagine ESPN will be like "nah, this would be cooler they were playing Colgate".

The exposure question is fascinating. That is a legitimate concern of jumping. Maybe its oversimplifying it, but I really do believe it comes down to "how competitive do you think we'll be?". If we're good, I think it increases. If we are just above average, or worse, Its a mistake, IMO
    I agree that the argument that exposure would go up is very debatable given the reasons you and heffray indicate. Also, I think it is just stupid to be making the move just to improve our exposure. The goal should be to lift the university, not in exposure but rather its mission and profile.

I also think that our recruiting improvement has serious limitations. We're WAY outside of our lane already. (As an aside, think about the fact that the 2019 NDSU Bison may have had two first round draft picks in Trey and Jabril. That's just kinda stupid.) If there's an improvement anywhere, it'll be depth. Doesn't matter because we'd compete well with any G5 conference without even increasing the number of schollies. Adding numbers will just be icing.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I agree that the argument that exposure would go up is very debatable given the reasons you and heffray indicate. Also, I think it is just stupid to be making the move just to improve our exposure. The goal should be to lift the university, not in exposure but rather its mission and profile.

I also think that our recruiting improvement has serious limitations. We're WAY outside of our lane already. (As an aside, think about the fact that the 2019 NDSU Bison may have had two first round draft picks in Trey and Jabril. That's just kinda stupid.) If there's an improvement anywhere, it'll be depth. Doesn't matter because we'd compete well with any G5 conference without even increasing the number of schollies. Adding numbers will just be icing.
    This is what I’m saying. How many G5’s have as many first rounders as we’re projected to have in 5 years with Wentz, Cox, and Lance?

What evidence do we have that this will not continue?
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    This is what I’m saying. How many G5’s have as many first rounders as we’re projected to have in 5 years with Wentz, Cox, and Lance?

What evidence do we have that this will not continue?
    I don't see any reason that this won't continue. I've been noodling on this recruitment thing a bit more and I think one additional area that we could see an uptick, albeit very modest, is our spot recruiting far away from Fargo. We've previously gotten some kids out of Texas and lately Florida that have been diamonds in the rough. There's an occasional comment from these kids that "I never heard of the Bison before they contacted me." While I don't think that that condition will change if we get into, say the MAC, the conversation with these kids might be a little different if we were FBS and we might attract a few more of those far outstate skill position kids.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I don't see any reason that this won't continue. I've been noodling on this recruitment thing a bit more and I think one additional area that we could see an uptick, albeit very modest, is our spot recruiting far away from Fargo. We've previously gotten some kids out of Texas and lately Florida that have been diamonds in the rough. There's an occasional comment from these kids that "I never heard of the Bison before they contacted me." While I don't think that that condition will change if we get into, say the MAC, the conversation with these kids might be a little different if we were FBS and we might attract a few more of those far outstate skill position kids.
    This is a good point.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It would be interesting to ask our current players who had FBS offers why they chose us. I'm under the opinion that a G5 offer many times will lose out to us due to the shot at a National Championship and the consistent exposure in December and January our program receives. Yes to a lot of kids an FBS offer will beat an FCS offer, but I think we've gotten a lot of kids due to December football.

It would also be interesting to go back and ask the FBS kids that we had offers out to if they would have picked us over their current school if we were FBS and how that would adjust our roster year in and year out.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I’d just like to have 2-3 P5 games a year against teams like Minn, Wisc, Ok, Mich. St, Mizz, Iowa, Nebraska. Throw in a USC, Auburn, Fla. Hell, you could add Boise, Cinnci, Memphis, UCF AND Fresno for great G5 programs. A guy could dream.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    I’d just like to have 2-3 P5 games a year against teams like Minn, Wisc, Ok, Mich. St, Mizz, Iowa, Nebraska. Throw in a USC, Auburn, Fla. Hell, you could add Boise, Cinnci, Memphis, UCF AND Fresno for great G5 programs. A guy could dream.
    yes yes yes.. come to the good side..
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    What teams play 2 P5 OOC games in the same year at least during the regular season?

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    What teams play 2 P5 OOC games in the same year at least during the regular season?

Northern Illinois, Houston, Cincinnati, Fresno, Hawaii, Eastern Michigan, Tulsa, Uconn, Middle Tennessee all did just last year.
    Add Rice, Old Dominion, Ga Southern and USF to that list.
    Last year some of these teams played 3 P5 OOC.
    Last edited by 23Bison; 04-30-2020 at 01:43 AM.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    to continue dominating this 5 state Region in addition to reaching new recruiting areas.
    If NDSU were to go FBS in the future one would hope that the strategy for recruiting would exclude trying to scoop players from regional FCS teams or the lower tier Iowa MN or Wisconsin recruits and more focused on the guys they currently aren't getting. Sure they have had some great recruits like Cox, Lance, and Radunz who are legit FBS talent and NDSU survived 11th hour attempts to steal these guys away by FBS teams. This talent needs to be the norm if NDSU moves up. Scooping regional FCS teams might get you a few diamonds but in the long run is not a sustainable strategy for success at the next level. I agree they need to stay regional but if NDSU would move up, they need to become a serious option for the MN, WI, IA, and ND kids that have Solid offers from regional P5 schools and not walk on or Grey shirt offer kids. NDSU has been great at recognizing those diamonds that fall through the system and should continue to offer and develope these kids. Sustainable success in the next level would mean offering and signing the 300 lb DT or 215 lb RB that has multiple FBS offers like Iowa, MN, WI, or even NE that wouldn't be considering NDSU as an option. Scooping regional FCS team recruits shouldn't be a priority in this hypothetical scenario.