Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/19/2016 Jacks vs Panthers, Who do we cheer for?

Default Re: 11/19/2016 Jacks vs Panthers, Who do we cheer for?

Much rather have SDSU win, increases the chances of either SDSU or UND getting a seed, which increases the chances of the other team not being brought to Fargo in the second round.

Top six are pretty set, in some order as long as they win their last game/Citadel doesn't get embarrassed at North Carolina: NDSU, EWU, James Madison, Jax St., Citadel, Sam Houston (as long as they beat UCA)

The last two seeds are up for grabs between a lot of current 7-9 win teams that have various arguments for being seeded: Richmond (FBS win), UND (conference champ and 9 wins), SDSU (with a win, conference champ and win over NDSU), Chattanooga and Chuck South (committee seems to love them, not only this year but years past as well, but both have D2 win), Central Arkansas (likely not with a loss to SHSU, but they already have 9 wins with FBS G5 win).

I think if Richmond and SDSU both win, the last two seeds are between them, UND, and Chuck South. If UND gets seeded 7 or 8, the committee could rightfully funnel SDSU to them for the second round as a team that could fall at 9 or 10 in the rankings, and the winner of that game goes to Fargo for the quarterfinals. NDSU would be the 1 or 2 seed. That scenario works well for the committee, and is actually a pretty fair way of making the bracket when you look at resume's.

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Much rather have SDSU win, increases the chances of either SDSU or UND getting a seed, which increases the chances of the other team not being brought to Fargo in the second round.

Top six are pretty set, in some order as long as they win their last game/Citadel doesn't get embarrassed at North Carolina: NDSU, EWU, James Madison, Jax St., Citadel, Sam Houston (as long as they beat UCA)

The last two seeds are up for grabs between a lot of current 7-9 win teams that have various arguments for being seeded: Richmond (FBS win), UND (conference champ and 9 wins), SDSU (with a win, conference champ and win over NDSU), Chattanooga and Chuck South (committee seems to love them, not only this year but years past as well, but both have D2 win), Central Arkansas (likely not with a loss to SHSU, but they already have 9 wins with FBS G5 win).

I think if Richmond and SDSU both win, the last two seeds are between them, UND, and Chuck South. If UND gets seeded 7 or 8, the committee could rightfully funnel SDSU to them for the second round as a team that could fall at 9 or 10 in the rankings, and the winner of that game goes to Fargo for the quarterfinals. NDSU would be the 1 or 2 seed. That scenario works well for the committee, and is actually a pretty fair way of making the bracket when you look at resume's.
    I would rather have NDSU get the 4 seed and go to Jacksonville State over this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    I would rather have NDSU get the 4 seed and go to Jacksonville State over this scenario.
    Why? Scared of UND or SDSU? Or both?

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Montana is in 9th place in the big Sky standing. With a win next week, they don't deserve a playoff spot

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    Why? Scared of UND or SDSU? Or both?
    UND- you just don't want to go there
    SDSU- I don't see us stopping their offense

I think it would be easier to go on the road and beat Jacksonville vs playing UND or SDSU at home

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    UND- you just don't want to go there
    SDSU- I don't see us stopping their offense

I think it would be easier to go on the road and beat Jacksonville vs playing UND or SDSU at home
    Fair enough. Just don't want to give UND the opportunity in the playoffs to come into Fargo, I get that. Like it or not SDSU has a very high chance of coming to Fargo if they don't get seeded, whether directly or through UND. If we somehow got #4, I could see the committee giving the 7 and 8 to Richmond and Chuck South and having UND and SDSU play in the first round. I wouldn't agree with it, I just think it is inevitable due to regionalization and the sense that the committee wants someone else to win.

But to the question of the thread: If SDSU loses at UNI they are probably getting sent to NDSU in the second round, regardless of our seed. If SDSU wins, there is an outside shot that they get a seed plus there would be justification to send them to a 7 or 8 seed UND if they aren't seeded. I would rather play one of them than both of them, which really could happen.

We need to root for sdsu. Makes our loss look better.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Don't care who wins it but if either UNI or Illinois St were to make the playoffs they would be coming in red hot and far more dangerous to face than some of the seeded teams will be

If UNI wins, the Bison would be the only seed from the MVFC. Let's also say the YSU and WIU win next week.

SDSU, Youngstown, and WIU would be 7-4; ISUr and UNI 6-5 with P5 wins: who gets in? Do all get in? Bubble is pretty soft, going to be mostly 7-4 teams from the CAA and Big Sky.

Don't care but I'd rather SDSU win. They and UND would both be seeded and we wouldn't have to play either until the quarters.