Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: SHAC Reviews Here

Default Re: Bohl News

Not sure how the leg room issue is cutting corners since the main reason the issue exists is because a donor wanted to put in premium seats.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Not sure how the leg room issue is cutting corners since the main reason the issue exists is because a donor wanted to put in premium seats.
    Maybe the size of the seats is not the problem?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    What corners would you say they cut on the SHAC? Other than making a more impressive basketball arena with permanent seating seems pretty nice to me. Tagged along with the kids on the last Junior Bison day tour (best dad perk ever!) and all the behind the scenes stuff seemed pretty impressive.

I'd even say the exterior design is pretty nice. For comparison I'd say USD's facility has a more impressive arena but the exterior just looks like a mess.
    Lol, we were so far behind the curve with DI facilities we just tried to do to much with the SHAC. As far as Arena's go, we are barely in the top half of the Summit after USD, Omama, ORU, and SDSU. With that said, thank goodness we have the SHAC but priority one after the IPC has got to be a proper mid major basketball arena.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Lol, we were so far behind the curve with DI facilities we just tried to do to much with the SHAC. As far as Arena's go, we are barely in the top half of the Summit after USD, Omama, ORU, and SDSU. With that said, thank goodness we have the SHAC but priority one after the IPC has got to be a proper mid major basketball arena.
    I agreed the least impressive part of the SHAC is the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Maybe the size of the seats is not the problem?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I got to sit in the premium seats last month, and despite not being a small guy, I felt fairly comfortable. Way more comfortable than the seats at Pepsi Center in Denver.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    What corners would you say they cut on the SHAC? Other than making a more impressive basketball arena with permanent seating seems pretty nice to me. Tagged along with the kids on the last Junior Bison day tour (best dad perk ever!) and all the behind the scenes stuff seemed pretty impressive.

I'd even say the exterior design is pretty nice. For comparison I'd say USD's facility has a more impressive arena but the exterior just looks like a mess.
    I’ll pick the easiest, most obvious. They couldn’t even get the bleacher height to line up with the walkway. For one full season they left a trip hazard when walking from the concourse to the bleacher stairs. Than they covered it with tape and finally put cheap looking ramps.

I promise if there is a piece of flooring that not correct in the IPF when it’s completed it doesn’t make it a week before it’s addressed. Yes the SHAC is an upgrade but it was done cheaply and corners were cut. Things will cost us more down the road but at least we can say it’s a new”ish” facility.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    I’ll pick the easiest, most obvious. They couldn’t even get the bleacher height to line up with the walkway. For one full season they left a trip hazard when walking from the concourse to the bleacher stairs. Than they covered it with tape and finally put cheap looking ramps.

I promise if there is a piece of flooring that not correct in the IPF when it’s completed it doesn’t make it a week before it’s addressed. Yes the SHAC is an upgrade but it was done cheaply and corners were cut. Things will cost us more down the road but at least we can say it’s a new”ish” facility.
    Yeah it seems like the arena got the bulk of the cost cuts and that's too bad because it's almost impossible to upgrade it from here. I understand there was only so much money, I just think they skimped in the wrong areas. All the rest of that complex would have been relatively simple to update later with another project. The arena, while a big improvement from before, was outdated the day it opened. The padded seats were well-intentioned but not a good use of money.

The only way to fix the issues with the arena would be to build something completely new from the start and with the idiotic rules governing how the school can bond money who knows how long that could have taken.

Ideally the school would have spent $75-100 million and did it all right from the start but we live in a state where our universities are not allowed to have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The only way to fix the issues with the arena would be to build something completely new from the start and with the idiotic rules governing how the school can bond money who knows how long that could have taken.

Ideally the school would have spent $75-100 million and did it all right from the start but we live in a state where our universities are not allowed to have nice things.
    We also live in a state that doesn't allow our universities to get in over their heads and have nice things that are a anchor around their necks. You have to remember NDSU isn't the only player in the game. It doesn't matter how nice the arena is or could have been, there has been a abundance of empty seats in that arena this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    We also live in a state that doesn't allow our universities to get in over their heads and have nice things that are a anchor around their necks. You have to remember NDSU isn't the only player in the game. It doesn't matter how nice the arena is or could have been, there has been a abundance of empty seats in that arena this year.
    There needs to be some kind of happy medium between no bonding and extravagant spending. It is moronic to have to fund large project in the manner that state demands. Maybe half the money should be there upfront or some other amount that at least makes a large project somewhat easier. Instead we had delays, which resulted increased costs and we have facility that doesn't completely meet our needs and is very much a compromise that resulted in some corners being cut.

Also we live in a state that has colleges that exist simply because they are a form of welfare for small rural communities and not because they serve a need for the state. NDSU isn't allowed to operate efficiently but these schools can continue to be a drag on the system...this state is completely backwards.