Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: SHAC Reviews Here

Default Re: Bohl News

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Listening to the Izzo podcast, dom and Jeff were suggesting that they SHAC arena seating needs to be redone. You’d think that the telescoping platforms could be replaced with longer sections using the same seats, and legroom could be greatly improved. There is 15’ of concrete floor on all sides of the playing surface that could be used up with longer sections.
    I agree with this. But want to point out again that the depth of each riser is exactly the same as the Fargodome and Newman Outdoor field. The thickly padded seats are the cause of the problem.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I agree with this. But want to point out again that the depth of each riser is exactly the same as the Fargodome and Newman Outdoor field. The thickly padded seats are the cause of the problem.
    It’s almost like it would take an architect to figure that out or something

Default Re: SHAC Reviews Here

Then replace the seats! Who needs a padded seat? Back rest is all that matters imho

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by met1990 View Post
    I'm happy to expand on it. In fact, I would suggest you test it yourself. Grab a standard folding chair and sit in the upper-level ADA seating at the SHAC or the corner endzone sections at the Fargodome. I think you'll find you can only see roughly half the court or field. The dome railings are glass with a metal "cap" of sorts. I'm 5'9" and if I sit normally I can't see between the hash marks down the entire field. I either need to strain to look above that metal cap or stoop below it. My brother doesn't have that mobility option.

I figure it's probably an ADA standard set up. After all, the government sets the standards, so it's likely going to be incompatible with reality. I'm not going to the dome box office and complaining-that's life.

Anyway, I took my brother to our first game at the SHAC in the upper-level ADA section. They look like fantastic seats. Right above the corner of the court. No obstructions via the online ticket site. Except for the fact that the metal railing is completely obstructing the view. Basically the same thing as the Fargodome endzone sections. Again, I encourage you to grab a folding chair and sit there and see how it looks. It's sad, really.

What's the 40 number you are referencing as a standard formula? I'm not finding it going back up this thread.

Sorry you're uninformed.
    The 40 number is from the article about the settlement, that is the number of spots NDSU agreed to put in.

So it seems the railing is the main issue, which is what I originally said. I think the problem there is that lower railings do not meet code. Seems the best they could do is to put in all glass railings like at U.S. Bank stadium, which isn't exactly ideal since the glass tends to distort things a bit and you still have vertical supports. Something like this:

Seems like it would be easy enough. Or do you know of better ideas?

The thing is, NDSU agreed to 40 spots throughout the arena and not just "courtside and nosebleed" as the article states it is today. I have to wonder if they thought that through before agreeing to it, because while I see how they could improve things, I don't see how they could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by met1990 View Post
    I'm fine having a difference of opinion. No worries about that!

To answer your question--yes. Yes, we should add more ADA spots. Not because the government requires it, but because it's the right thing to do. I'm fortunate in that my brother has enough mobility (and I'm still a strapping young lad) that it's not the end of the world if we don't snag an ADA spot. However, I've never attended an NDSU sporting event at the dome or BSA/SHAC that hasn't had all ADA spots filled at least one hour before the game starts.

If you think the number of spots should change either way, what do you propose?

Also, if you see open ADA spots less than an hour before a game--please take a time-stamped photo and send me GPS coordinates so I know where to park from now on when I take my brother.
    I don't go to bb games so no photos coming from me.

How many more then? What would the right number be?

I guess maybe it's case by case, but even since this discussion started I walked into a big box store where the parking lot was neary full but there were many open ADA spots...I almost took a picture but decided it wasn't worth arguing about. It just seems like there are way more ADA spots than there were say, 10 years ago and I routinely see where they're underutilized.

It's a no-win argument on my part because it ends up sounding like I'm trying to be mean. It's kind of like arguing against more school funding. Does any school ever have enough? How much is enough.....more than they had last year. Ok, is that enough? No, still more is needed. It's for the children
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

I've only been to 3 games at the SHAC and have been up in the permanent stands each time. Maybe I should have looked at the ticket exchange to see if we could have been in the front row of the season ticket side that was half-empty on Friday night.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Strange that nobody has posted about the new handicap seating in the SHAC.

They lowered the railing and installed companion seating in multiple sections on the concourse. Where they did this took out the top row of seats.

They also added some seating on the floor level. Section 103 (middle section) has some handicap spots along with companion seating on the floor. Very strange that a new front row was added to sections 102 and 104 on the west side. Solid seats the whole row in those two sections. Nothing for handicap seating. Now my seats in section 102 are in the 2nd row instead of the 1st row. Looks like I will have to find another place next season. Not sure how anyone in that new first row is going to see what's going on in the basketball game over the people sitting at the press tables and the people walking in front of them.

533 In a row

Beer and wine has been expanded into certain sections of the SHAC. Details at season ticket holders open house next week.

533 In a row

New rail seating around the upper concourse. Season ticket holders will also be able to select new seat locations between 9/14 and 9/17.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Beer and wine has been expanded into certain sections of the SHAC. Details at season ticket holders open house next week.
    ohhh really. "where does El_Chapo sit"? OK NOT THAT SECTION!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?