Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: SHAC Reviews Here

Default Re: Bohl News

Quote Originally Posted by moosbah View Post
    I'm sure there are, but does anyone have pics of this particular situation at the SHAC?
    Best I could find.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shac...u09eIOiNxHLIkM

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Being that they have to be engineered to support loads, steel and steel products is about your best option. The cheapest would be a 2 line steel guardrail you see in industrial applications, but that would make a few parents nervous, not even sure it would be allowed in an arena such as SHAC. So after that it is a picket rail that currently is in place. Mesh panel rails, then SS cable railing. Then glass rails are the Cadillac of railings.

Building codes require 42" guardrails so you can't lower it, and believe you can't really even raise it either, not sure on that though? If they'd been smart about it maybe ran glass at a few locations for the ADA compliance factor and steel pickets like they have for the rest. I'm not sure why that still cannot be a temporary solution. I find it hard to believe if it's been 2+ years now and ADA hasn't gotten involved in investigating it. They either make it by the skin of their teeth with the lower ones maybe?
    In spite of some apparent underlying confidence in his/her own knowledge by the author, every single sentence in this post has something incorrect in it. I would help answer/comment on a bunch of these questions/statements but I first want to read more about what you and the other "experts" have to say.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    In spite of some apparent underlying confidence in his/her own knowledge by the author, every single sentence in this post has something incorrect in it. I would help answer/comment on a bunch of these questions/statements but I first want to read more about what you and the other "experts" have to say.
    This ought to be good.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This ought to be good.

He's an experienced architect. I think he's pretty reliable resource for this topic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yes by adding glass rail that I already posted about. Cost may be a factor...

I think with all the reported goofs in the SHAC, the "cost may be a factor" argument won't hold much water with the fans. At this point, they need to do all they can just to get people to show up for games.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

It is as if there was zero thought into the seating and overall layout of the SHAC...

https://www.inforum.com/news/crime-a...ts-at-the-SHAC

U.S. Attorney's Office reaches settlement with NDSU over accessibility complaints at the SHAC

FARGO — A settlement has been reached over violations of federal anti-discrimination law at North Dakota State University’s premiere multi-sport arena.

U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley announced on Wednesday, Jan. 29, that his office had entered a settlement agreement with NDSU over accessibility complaints at the Sanford Health Athletic Complex, or SHAC.

Complaints alleged the facility’s design features violate the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, or ADA — landmark civil rights legislation that prohibits discrimination based on disability.

In March 2019, The Forum published a letter to the editor from Tammy DeSautel of Fargo, who said staff at the SHAC denied her request for a chair to sit alongside her daughter during a high school basketball tournament.

DeSautel’s daughter, Macy Stuart, has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair, and needs someone near her at all times.

“I feel that it’s not asking for too much. And bottom line, it’s the law,” DeSautel previously told The Forum.

Under the current configuration, a companion of any wheelchair patron on the floor of the SHAC must sit in the row of seats directly behind.

Macy Stuart is pictured in a wheelchair seating area in the Sanford Health Athletic Complex at North Dakota State University on March 2, 2019. Her mother, Tammy DeSautel, requested a chair to sit next to her daughter but was refused. Instead, DeSautel sat on the edge of the metal bleachers so she could be closer to attend to her daughter's needs. Special to The Forum

Macy Stuart is pictured in a wheelchair seating area in the Sanford Health Athletic Complex at North Dakota State University on March 2, 2019. Her mother, Tammy DeSautel, requested a chair to sit next to her daughter but was refused. Instead, DeSautel sat on the edge of the metal bleachers so she could be closer to attend to her daughter's needs. Special to The Forum

The U.S. Attorney's Office had already begun its investigation into possible ADA violations at the facility, in the spring of 2017, after receiving other complaints.

The SHAC opened in 2016, as an extension and renovation of the former Bison Sports Arena, originally built in 1970.

The problems relate to a wide range of issues, including wheelchair seating, accessible parking and access to restrooms and concession stands, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

It found the SHAC did not provide sufficient wheelchair seating, seating for companions to users of wheelchairs or accessible aisle seating.

It also found the accessible seating provided was not integrated and dispersed throughout the facility, and that the SHAC didn't provide adequate accessible parking, and the toilet rooms, signage, concession stands, ramps, drinking fountains, and assistive listening devices did not comply with the ADA’s requirements.

Under the settlement agreement, NDSU will remedy all of the noted violations of the ADA by Dec. 31, 2020.

“North Dakota State University cooperated throughout this investigation and I commend its commitment to take swift remedial action to address all ADA violations when these barriers to accessibility were brought to its attention," Wrigley said.

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    It is as if there was zero thought into the seating and overall layout of the SHAC...

https://www.inforum.com/news/crime-a...ts-at-the-SHAC
    Architects are paid to make sure the plans are ADA compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisman View Post
    Well NDSU should get a refund then, huh?

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisman View Post
    Well considering this was the U.S. Attorney's Office and not a civil suit by some sleazeball ambulance chaser, I'd say the architects didn't know what they were doing. And it's far from the only example of that.

I continue to believe that much of this was driven by NDSU who wanted as many seats as possible in the place.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."