Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: SHAC Reviews Here

Default Re: Bohl News

Quote Originally Posted by met1990 View Post
    I try to take my brother, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, to at least a couple of home football and basketball games per year. I also take him to other events and venues in the region.

The SHAC is, without exception, the worst venue I've attended with him in regard to accessibility (I haven't tried the Northern, so back off, Lakes). I'm sad to see it's taken legal action for NDSU (which I attended, worked for and continue to support) to make things right in regard to ADA compliance. I hope this action makes this right, because it's ridiculous. I'm thankful my brother has the mobility to get himself into the top row of padded seats on the baseline and I can fold and tuck his wheelchair behind those seats. The upper concourse ADA seating platform is a fucking joke.

As far as people (perhaps those a couple of posts above this) thinking that ADA parking spots and # of seats "seems a bit crazy" or is "a good idea taken too far"--I can only hope you're uninformed or willfully ignorant. Otherwise, you're complete fucking morons.
    1. The Northern actually has pretty good accessibility, so the SHAC is the worst.

2. You're completely correct with that last sentence.

I try to take my brother, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, to at least a couple of home football and basketball games per year. I also take him to other events and venues in the region.

The SHAC is, without exception, the worst venue I've attended with him in regard to accessibility (I haven't tried the Northern, so back off, Lakes). I'm sad to see it's taken legal action for NDSU (which I attended, worked for and continue to support) to make things right in regard to ADA compliance. I hope this action makes this right, because it's ridiculous. I'm thankful my brother has the mobility to get himself into the top row of padded seats on the baseline and I can fold and tuck his wheelchair behind those seats. The upper concourse ADA seating platform is a fucking joke.

As far as people (perhaps those a couple of posts above this) thinking that ADA parking spots and # of seats "seems a bit crazy" or is "a good idea taken too far"--I can only hope you're uninformed or willfully ignorant. Otherwise, you're complete fucking morons.
    Or we just have a different opinion. Also, I didn't say there shouldn't be ADA parking spots, just that I think it's to the point where there are too many. Let me ask this.....should we add more ADA spots? If not, why not?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you expand on that? Are the upper spots a joke because the railing obstructs the view? Because I think they would be fairly good seats otherwise, and I don't see how they could make the risers wheelchair accessible. They aren't exactly "nosebleed" as the article states. In fact that's where the club level is at as well, which I believe are the most expensive seats in the place. I've sat in the actual nosebleed west upper section where you can't see the scoreboard.

I'd guess the 40 number they came up with is based on a standard formula. But I'm not sure the Fargodome even has that many, unless you include the suites. So I don't think it's appropriate to start name calling without offering facts of your own. Yeah we are uninformed, so inform us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I kind of feel the same way about handicapped parking spaces. Good idea but it seems like there are more and more of them and often, even when the lot is very full, the majority of the handicapped spots are empty. Good idea taken too far.
    I'm not sure what the situation is at the SHAC, but the reverse is true at the Fargodome. I arrived two hours prior to kickoff of the semifinal game against Montana State, but there were no handicap parking spots available. Needing enough space to exit my van using a ramp, we were relegated to going all the way to the east, only 20-30 feet away from University Avenue. We made due, but it sucks when you see able-bodied people abusing this privilege by using a sticker they don't need when there are people who legitimately need those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    I'm not sure what the situation is at the SHAC, but the reverse is true at the Fargodome. I arrived two hours prior to kickoff of the semifinal game against Montana State, but there were no handicap parking spots available. Needing enough space to exit my van using a ramp, we were relegated to going all the way to the east, only 20-30 feet away from University Avenue. We made due, but it sucks when you see able-bodied people abusing this privilege by using a sticker they don't need when there are people who legitimately need those spots.
    Thanks, good example. I'm not sure what the situation at the SHAC is either, I've not been there since the remodel. My comment was more in general. Yesterday we were leaving a store with many handicap spots and not one was in use. I realize that usage will ebb and flow so one or two examples doesn't mean too much.

I agree with your point about abuse by some who don't need it, either by using someone elses pass or by exagerating or milking a temporary issue too long. Another example would be service animals. Good idea taken way too far.

Anyway, I'm fortunate to not need one at the moment and I've actually started parking farther away to get more steps in so maybe not having as many spots close to the buildings is better for me anyway!
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

The Fargodome disabled parking is always full when we go to games. I would bet that all of those people have valid permits as you see many old people in the concourse who probably can’t walk very far. Plus, the complaints cover other items like drinking fountains.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Hey pm me next time it’s a basketball game maybe my seats would work well for you

I have always thought “student athlete” staffed valet service would be a good option at the FD or SHAC.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Listening to the Izzo podcast, dom and Jeff were suggesting that they SHAC arena seating needs to be redone. You’d think that the telescoping platforms could be replaced with longer sections using the same seats, and legroom could be greatly improved. There is 15’ of concrete floor on all sides of the playing surface that could be used up with longer sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Listening to the Izzo podcast, dom and Jeff were suggesting that they SHAC arena seating needs to be redone. You’d think that the telescoping platforms could be replaced with longer sections using the same seats, and legroom could be greatly improved. There is 15’ of concrete floor on all sides of the playing surface that could be used up with longer sections.
    That should have been done when the problems first came to the forefront. But the question was who was liable for the mistake and had to pay for it.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."