Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: SHAC Reviews Here

Default Re: Bohl News

The good news is we only have to put up with it for another 30 years...

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Well considering this was the U.S. Attorney's Office and not a civil suit by some sleazeball ambulance chaser, I'd say the architects didn't know what they were doing. And it's far from the only example of that.
    This was evident the day it opened. Just look at the layout.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    I continue to believe that much of this was driven by NDSU who wanted as many seats as possible in the place.
    As a design professional, it is your duty and obligation as a professional to make sure your client does what they need to, not what they want to.

For Example:

Mr. Jones (Prosecuting Attorney): "Mr. Smith, your firm completed the structural design for the 30 story Diamond Skyscraper that collapsed, correct?"

Mr. Smith: "Yes"

Mr. Jones: "And where did you get your engineering degree from?"

Mr. Smith: "The University of North Dakota! GO SIOUX!!!!"

Judge: "ORDER!! ORDER!!! Order in my court room right now! One more outburst like that Mr. Smith and I'll have you held in contempt for creating a hostile and abusive courtroom!! Mr. Jones, you may continue."

Mr. Jones: "Mr. Smith, did you hear the testimony of Mr. Johnson, a graduate of North Dakota State University?"

Mr. Smith: "Yes I did."

Mr. Jones: "Mr. Smith, can you please summarize Mr. Johnson's testimony?"

Mr. Smith: "In a nutshell, he claims we used half the reinforcing steel and concrete in the support columns that we should have."

Mr. Jones: "Mr. Smith, would you say Mr. Johnson assertions are correct?"

Mr. Smith: "Yes, but the owner of the building told me to do that."

How do you suppose this trial is going to turn out in this example? Its no different for an architect complying with ADA requirements. That's one of the reasons people hire professionals. Every project you are going to be pressured to save costs and get asked "do we really have to do this that or the other thing.....". If the law says you do, then you do, there are certain things you don't get take design liberties with. You have to have a backbone to stand up to your client when the situation calls for it. I find it interesting the architect has been able to keep its name out of these kinds of stories.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    This was evident the day it opened. Just look at the layout.
    Good thing you didn't see the first version of the plans. The basketball court was east-west.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    It is as if there was zero thought into the seating and overall layout of the SHAC...

https://www.inforum.com/news/crime-a...ts-at-the-SHAC
    Sounds to me like issues outlined should have been handled by the architects and engineers hired by NDSU. Hopefully NDSU will be reimbursed by them for all costs of remediation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Well considering this was the U.S. Attorney's Office and not a civil suit by some sleazeball ambulance chaser, I'd say the architects didn't know what they were doing. And it's far from the only example of that.
    The genesis of the ADA compliance issues shouldn’t preclude NDSU from bringing a claim outside of the compliance enforcement against architects/engineers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    As a design professional, it is your duty and obligation as a professional to make sure your client does what they need to, not what they want to.

For Example:

Mr. Jones (Prosecuting Attorney): "Mr. Smith, your firm completed the structural design for the 30 story Diamond Skyscraper that collapsed, correct?"

Judge: "ORDER!! ORDER!!! Order in my court room right now! One more outburst like that Mr. Smith and I'll have you held in contempt for creating a hostile and abusive courtroom!! Mr. Jones, you may continue."

Mr. Jones: "Mr. Smith, did you hear the testimony of Mr. Johnson, a graduate of North Dakota State University?"

Mr. Smith: "In a nutshell, he claims we used half the reinforcing steel and concrete in the support columns that we should have."

How do you suppose this trial is going to turn out in this example? Its no different for an architect complying with ADA requirements. That's one of the reasons people hire professionals. Every project you are going to be pressured to save costs and get asked "do we really have to do this that or the other thing.....". If the law says you do, then you do, there are certain things you don't get take design liberties with. You have to have a backbone to stand up to your client when the situation calls for it. I find it interesting the architect has been able to keep its name out of these kinds of stories.
    For some reason I keep imagining Mr. Smith as a Dr. Strangelove type character.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post

For Example:

Who was the architect on this?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Who was the architect on this?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    http://www.tlstroh.com/projects/ndsu-athletic-complex/

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Looks like this is TL Stroh's only arena. No surprise there.

It's really frustrating that with all the people who must have been involved with this, that nobody evidently had a clue what makes for a good arena.

When we were in Tulsa at ORU, yeah the Mabee Center was old and had its issues, but it at least looked and felt like a proper basketball arena. Even my 12 year old son noticed the difference.