Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Week 9 Polls

Default Re: Week 9 Polls

Quote Originally Posted by Mayville Bison View Post
    Where would you put Cal Poly and UND? Both teams are 7-2 with an FBS loss. Cal Poly lost to UND. Most rankings have Cal Poly ahead of UND.

Where would you put UCA and Samford? Both teams have 1 loss in the FCS (Samford has an FBS loss). UCA lost to Samford. Most rankings have have UCA ahead of Samford.
    You are missing the point. I am not saying that the teams with the best records are automatically higher seeds (although that's how it is IRL). Im saying that of the teams with the strength of schedule to back it up, then the comparison I made earlier is warranted.

A middle of the road MVFC would run a train on Sam Houston in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    No justification for EWU being ranked above NDSU.
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by thebootfitter View Post
    Seriously?
    I'm curious, what is the justification then? Almost winning?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Their kicker has improved.???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Weber State 49, South Dakota 52 (1-0) (forgot about this one to be honest)
    Eastern Washington 44, North Dakota State 50 (2-0)
    Northern Arizona 20, Western Illinois 34 (3-0)
    Montana 20, Northern Iowa 14 (3-1)
    South Dakota 44, North Dakota 47 (3-2)
    Cal Poly 38, South Dakota State 31 (3-3)
    Northern Iowa 30, Eastern Washington 34 (3-4)

Slight edge to the Big Sky especially since they didn't lose either of their 2 home games. Are they hands down better? No, but to definitively state it the other way is arguable at best.
    All those games were very competitive... just by looking at the final score.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/liste...yoff-rankings/

Playoff Chair indicates that strong non conference schedule will be very important in their rankings. Pretty clear indication that SHSU won't be ranked ahead of NDSU when they release their rankings on Thursday.

Weber State 49, South Dakota 52 (1-0) (forgot about this one to be honest)
    Eastern Washington 44, North Dakota State 50 (2-0)
    Northern Arizona 20, Western Illinois 34 (3-0)
    Montana 20, Northern Iowa 14 (3-1)
    South Dakota 44, North Dakota 47 (3-2)
    Cal Poly 38, South Dakota State 31 (3-3)
    Northern Iowa 30, Eastern Washington 34 (3-4)

Slight edge to the Big Sky especially since they didn't lose either of their 2 home games. Are they hands down better? No, but to definitively state it the other way is arguable at best.
    But you ignore the hot mess the rest of the conference is. The fundamental difference of why the MVFC is better is the top to bottom nature. The only traditional "lay ups" are Misery St. and Indiana St.; no one else. The Big Sky is riddled with lay up teams for the elite. So, if you combine your comparison of the interconference play with the horrible bottom of the Big Fluffy, there is no way to say they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Green1 View Post
    In a direct, head-to-head game, EWU lost. This is a fact. It is not opinion or supposition.

As a voter, how could you disregard this fact and put more credence into a flight of fancy? Until they prove otherwise, EWU should be ranked below NDSU.
    Very easy for a voter to justify it.

1. Best player played half the game or so?
    2. Played on the road in a very hostile environment and lost in OT.

I believe in the early 90's, Notre Dame beat Florida State. Both finished 10-1, and they gave the title to Florida State. It's not exactly unprecedented. Don't agree with it but it is what it is
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Each individual voter in a poll may have different criteria. You may be more aligned with one individual's criteria than another's, and that's fine. But to say that there is NO justification? That's BS. There's already been a number of comments in this thread to show that there is some justification.

For one, EWU took NDSU to overtime at NDSU. It's hard to argue based on that one game that either team is clearly superior. Then, looking at their record, they've been beating some decent to good teams fairly comfortably. Their only loss is a "good" loss to NDSU in overtime at NDSU. Compare that to our games that have been closer than they should have been on paper, and our loss to SDSU -- which is a "good" loss, but not as good as EWU's loss to NDSU. Overall, our opponents are probably a bit better as a group, which makes our strength of schedule a bit tougher, but some folks don't consider that as much as others.

If you try to look at it completely objectively, the two teams both have legitimate justification to be ranked #1. I am a little surprised that NDSU is not getting more #1 votes in any of the polls, but to say there is NO justification is asinine.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Where would UNI be in the Sagarin ratings if their win over Misery State had only been by Sagarin's predicted MOV? Seems like that blowout is giving them too much lift in the ratings. And yes I am not smart enough to figure it out myself.