Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

Default Re: Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

If we run the table we are easily a 1 or 2. Win over Iowa is a walk off Grand Slam home run. Win over Eastern Washington is an RBI triple. Chuck South is ranked #9 so that's an rbi double. We throttled Illinois State. We have a 2 point loss to the now #7 team

Problem is... Running the table will be really really hard. Our schedule is a bear. WIU, @UNI, Youngstown, Indiana State. USD looks like a tough game now

Of course if we do, Youngstown and WIU are ranked opponent's.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    Seriously, what is the point? NDSU plays in the toughest conference in the FCS. From the standpoint of getting the team ready for the playoffs, going through the gauntlet of the MVFC already gets us ready for the playoffs.

NDSU's first three games was clearly the toughest schedule in the FCS. How has that helped NDSU? If the current top 4 teams win out, there is zero doubt the playoff committee WILL NOT seed NDSU higher than JSU and Sam Houston State who play NOBODY. They have continuously proven to reward teams for going undefeated and playing nobody.

I just don't know if the scheduling philosophy is worth it anymore. Discuss.
    All I see when you post is alumni vs. alumnus. Discuss.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by 1993bison View Post
    Just a matter of time until we go on the road for the playoffs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    ...this is true. Could be this year.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I like the tougher OOC matchups for the sake of keeping the games interesting (my heart disagrees with that strategy but whatever). I do think there is some benefit to scheduling at least one OOC cupcake though and that is to get some of the younger guys those needed game reps. I don't think we've gotten many snaps for some of the younger guys that could use them this year so far.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think the Chuck South game was driven more by the ESPN Kickoff weekend. If it wouldn't have been for that we would have had a cupcake for that particular opening in the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I think the Chuck South game was driven more by the ESPN Kickoff weekend. If it wouldn't have been for that we would have had a cupcake for that particular opening in the schedule.
    We probably scheduled that game 4 years ago, before the ESPN kickoff game was even a thing, so I doubt that. As far as scheduling cupcakes; we should have on every year. Easy win, play a lot of backups, DI counter. The big boys play cupcakes, so should we. If fans aren't interested in these games, so be it.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

#arrogantbisonfanprobs

SDSU has never made the quarterfinals of the playoffs....we are something like 20-0 in the playoffs...and we have fans going bananas this week over a loss on the last second to a rival. Shit happens in sports. It isn't the end of the world, and luckily it wasn't in the playoffs, or Prairie would be stock full of Bisonville regulars who are running around with pitchforks while sharing rooms and discussing play calling. Guys, it was a loss. To a top 10 team, who played a good game. We got beat. Now we play #13 team in American who can beat us. We gotta move forward, this team has done a ton for us as fans, least we can do is move on with them after a tough week. I expect we come out and play a very inspired brand of football. run it more, no pass it more, run it down their throat, no pass it to the tight end, more jet sweep, where is our running game, why don't we throw deep, why can our line dominate against Iowa and not SDSU...you guys get the point. What is it like 75-6 now?
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

we play pretty well on the road. I'll go
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    We probably scheduled that game 4 years ago, before the ESPN kickoff game was even a thing, so I doubt that. As far as scheduling cupcakes; we should have on every year. Easy win, play a lot of backups, DI counter. The big boys play cupcakes, so should we. If fans aren't interested in these games, so be it.
    I think we were still looking for an 11th game last spring

Not directly on topic but wondering what people think:
    What impacts ranking more?
    A - Winning against a team that you weren't "supposed" to beat (i.e. Iowa this year)
    B - Losing to a team that you were "supposed" to beat (i.e. USD last year)

Which one helps/hurts to a greater degree?