Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

Default Re: Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    If the current top 4 teams win out, there is zero doubt the playoff committee WILL NOT seed NDSU higher than JSU and Sam Houston State who play NOBODY. They have continuously proven to reward teams for going undefeated and playing nobody.
    How about some examples of how they've "continuously rewarded teams for going undefeated and playing nobody"? Last year undefeated McNeese was seeded #4 behind 2 loss NDSU and 2 loss Illinois St. A few years back a 10-1 Lehigh was left out of the playoffs completely because they had such a weak SOS and didn't win their autobid. Quit worrying about the STATs and Coaches polls. They are G-A-R-B-A-G-E. And they have next to no effect on the seeding.

I disagree. Just because the polls have them higher doesn't mean they will be seeded higher. Illinois State got the top seed and they played Iowa and @ Eastern Illinois. They also lost a close one to sdsu.

No way they look at a resume of beating Iowa, Eastern Washington, and Charleston Southern and seed them higher. Our resume would look weaker if you replace Eastern Washington with a cup cake

And playing a cupcake doesn't prepare you for conference play IMO. Maybe depth wise it does

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I would argue that it would have made no difference. They will seed a one loss NDSU team the same with or without having a tough non conference schedule.

I liked the old scheduling philosophy. One tough non conference game (preferably FBS), two cupcakes where you can keep your starters fresh and give your backups rep and then get ready for the playoffs via the conference schedule.

Looking back to the SDSU game, I really think the grind of our schedule is killing us. This team is beat down. Our schedule clearly won't help the cause come playoff selection time (NDSU has only been the #1 seed two times over the past five years). One of these years it is going to bite us in the ass. I think we have gotten to the point where it is too much too early.
    I agree there is no let up this season with the schedule. We get through the conference schedule, hopefully do this with none or no more than one more loss, get a high seed, and get some rest before someone comes to the dome for the second round. Regardless of the inability to have cupcakes to have the comfortable ability to work in some reps of underclassmen, the Bison have to do this in meaningful games one way or another.

This team will be playoff ready. As long as the playoff committee holds its word and splits the Valley up a little bit, there aren't as many schools out there as physical as those in the MVFC. You think the Bison are going through a grind, what until they get to meet a team who has no clue what the word grind means.

Wrong. If the brackets came out today, NDSU would be the #1 seed and Sam Houston might be the 4.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    How about some examples of how they've "continuously rewarded teams for going undefeated and playing nobody"? Last year undefeated McNeese was seeded #4 behind 2 loss NDSU and 2 loss Illinois St. A few years back a 10-1 Lehigh was left out of the playoffs completely because they had such a weak SOS and didn't win their autobid. Quit worrying about the STATs and Coaches polls. They are G-A-R-B-A-G-E. And they have next to no effect on the seeding.
    2011- Sam Houston #1 seed
    2013- Eastern Illinois # 2 seed
    2015- JSU #1 seed

I'm sure there are more but these are the best examples I can think of.

I'm not just talking NDSU though. McNeese is a great example. Why the fuck where they #4? Who did they beat to deserve that seed?

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree that one cupcake should be scheduled non-conference. I think it helps the team to have that game. Imo the ideal schedule would be 2 FBS games and an FCS cupcake...perfecto

No one wants to play us. We take what we can get.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

2015- JSU #1 seed

I'm not just talking NDSU though. McNeese is a great example. Why the fuck where they #4? Who did they beat to deserve that seed?
    Eastern Illinois was a deserving #2 in 2013.

The rest of your examples I can't argue with. McNeese probably should have played the first weekend last year.

Honestly, I think the committee does a good job of doing what they say they're going to do. I just don't think that they're very good at valuing the right things. But, basically every human has the same problems the committee does, and we don't want to turn it over to completely objective algorithms, so what can you do?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

2015- JSU #1 seed

2011 SHSU was undefeated, so I get that one. Plus no one really knew what NDSU was about. They beat a FBS team and a MVFC team during their season.
    2013 EIU had 1 loss in the regular season in a 39-43 shootout with Northern Illinois. They pretty much destroyed everyone that year. Their OOC schedule had 2 MVFC schools on it.
    2015 JSU other than the buttAuburn game, had no losses and put up techmo bowl numbers all year. Sure they ended up being a paper tiger, but had the key points to get them there. They played Chatty in the OOC part of the schedule along with ButtAuburn.

McNeese had gone undefeated thanks to the LSU game being cancelled and they had just beaten SHSU 27-10 in the second to last game of the year to lockdown the Southland. Other than that, their resume wasn't very impressive. One other win against a ranked opponent, a 21-7 win against #20 SE LA at the time. The same SE LA who lost to Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian and Nicholls State and SF Austin. SE LA helped anchor the bottom of the Southland. So you would think they have some reputation in the bank to warrant the high seed? You would be wrong. In the past 5 years, they have made the playoffs twice and are 0-2. They have beaten exactly 2 teams in that time frame who ended the season ranked. Both times it was SHSU. The last time SHSU ended up with the last laugh in the playoffs. The other time in the playoffs was in 2013 in the past 5 years when JSU beat them for one of their only 2 playoff wins in the past 5 years, as well, until their run last season.

2015- JSU #1 seed

Like td577 said, all 3 of those teams challenged themselves in the non-conference those years. However, all 3 didn't have very good conference schedules to test themselves with but there's not much they can do about that.

In 2011, SHSU played Western Illinois, FBS New Mexico, UTSA (transitioning to FBS at that time), and Texas St (also transitioning to FBS at that time). They won all 4.

In 2013 EIU played 2 FBS schools, beating San Diego St and losing a tight one to NIU. They also played @SIU and vs Illinois St. Their only loss was NIU.

In 2014 JSU played Auburn, Chattanooga (who was a top 10 team), and a cupcake (MVSU). Their only loss was #buttAuburn.

I think you'll find that the selection committee does a much better job of promoting tough non-conference (and conference) schedules with their seedings that the national pollsters do in their weekly trash... umm polls.