Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

Default Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

Seriously, what is the point? NDSU plays in the toughest conference in the FCS. From the standpoint of getting the team ready for the playoffs, going through the gauntlet of the MVFC already gets us ready for the playoffs.

NDSU's first three games was clearly the toughest schedule in the FCS. How has that helped NDSU? If the current top 4 teams win out, there is zero doubt the playoff committee WILL NOT seed NDSU higher than JSU and Sam Houston State who play NOBODY. They have continuously proven to reward teams for going undefeated and playing nobody.

I just don't know if the scheduling philosophy is worth it anymore. Discuss.

Default Re: Why Play a Tough Non Conference Schedule?

Cause it's more fun. The Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington games were great. This season would be so much ore dull with wins over Norfolk State and Drake

So you are pro ferris state?
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    Seriously, what is the point? NDSU plays in the toughest conference in the FCS. From the standpoint of getting the team ready for the playoffs, going through the gauntlet of the MVFC already gets us ready for the playoffs.

NDSU's first three games was clearly the toughest schedule in the FCS. How has that helped NDSU? If the current top 4 teams win out, there is zero doubt the playoff committee WILL NOT seed NDSU higher than JSU and Sam Houston State who play NOBODY. They have continuously proven to reward teams for going undefeated and playing nobody.

I just don't know if the scheduling philosophy is worth it anymore. Discuss.
    Crappy schedules get you a purdy record and a nice seed. Tough schedules prepare you to expose the over rated posers.

How does a soft non conference help if we still lose to SDSU or UNI? At least now we have an argument for being seeded higher.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

I guess I'd say that this season's non-conference schedule probably isn't consistent with NDSU's scheduling philosophy and they'd have preferred not to have such a difficult slate.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Crappy schedules get you a purdy record and a nice seed. Tough schedules prepare you to expose the over rated posers.
    Is the MVFC not tough enough?

I'd rather play 2 fbs

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    How does a soft non conference help if we still lose to SDSU or UNI? At least now we have an argument for being seeded higher.
    I would argue that it would have made no difference. They will seed a one loss NDSU team the same with or without having a tough non conference schedule.

I liked the old scheduling philosophy. One tough non conference game (preferably FBS), two cupcakes where you can keep your starters fresh and give your backups rep and then get ready for the playoffs via the conference schedule.

Looking back to the SDSU game, I really think the grind of our schedule is killing us. This team is beat down. Our schedule clearly won't help the cause come playoff selection time (NDSU has only been the #1 seed two times over the past five years). One of these years it is going to bite us in the ass. I think we have gotten to the point where it is too much too early.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    I would argue that it would have made no difference. They will seed a one loss NDSU team the same with or without having a tough non conference schedule.

I liked the old scheduling philosophy. One tough non conference game (preferably FBS), two cupcakes where you can keep your starters fresh and give your backups rep and then get ready for the playoffs via the conference schedule.

Looking back to the SDSU game, I really think the grind of our schedule is killing us. This team is beat down. Our schedule clearly won't help the cause come playoff selection time (NDSU has only been the #1 seed two times over the past five years). One of these years it is going to bite us in the ass. I think we have gotten to the point where it is too much too early.
    It's one year. Do you know that the philosophy has changed? Sometimes you don't get what you want.

Also, we've been the 1 twice and the 2 twice in the last 5 years. That's guaranteed home field throughout. So, a) our cause with the selection committee is just fine and 2) the year were were the 3 the non conference opponents were Montana, Weber St & UND; which looks a lot like one tough non conference game and two cupcakes to me.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie