Thread: Backwards punt - False memory or real?

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Backwards punt - False memory or real?

This has been bugging me for a while. I have this memory of a Bison game at Dacotah Field, but I don't know if it's a real memory or not. Here goes:

Does anyone remember a freezing cold game, probably 1989, 90ish, where the opposing punter slipped as he kicked and punted backwards into his own endzone?

I remember this, but I was about 5 so I probably made it up in my head. At any rate, it's been driving me crazy for a while, so I needed to ask the experts!

Default Re: Backwards punt - False memory or real?

Quote Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
    This has been bugging me for a while. I have this memory of a Bison game at Dacotah Field, but I don't know if it's a real memory or not. Here goes:

Does anyone remember a freezing cold game, probably 1989, 90ish, where the opposing punter slipped as he kicked and punted backwards into his own endzone?

I remember this, but I was about 5 so I probably made it up in my head. At any rate, it's been driving me crazy for a while, so I needed to ask the experts!
    Didn't that happen in a game with the Sioux at Grand Forks? I guess I don't remember a ball going backwards into the end zone, but I remember sometime or another a ball being kicked backwards....maybe because of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

I seem to also remember a punt in a snowstorm, where the punt either went less than 5 yards due to wind or backwards. Maybe against Ashland?

1 minute mark of this... punt actually went forward a little bit though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXkT107x2E

God I would love to be at a Bison game like that

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DBRJake View Post
    Head on over to the FFD expansion thread. They have a 35k outdoor unit drawn up I just hope they think to add enough hot cocoa stands.

I was at that game. I think it was the only conference game played that day.

I have a great story about that game. Ask me sometime and I will tell it. Spoiler alert. It involves a baby being born, whiskey and schnapps, a friend jumping the fence on the Augustana sideline and striking up a conversation with an O-Lineman, attempted jumping the fence on the Bison sideline, more whiskey and schnapps, a lady in a mink coat falling down the bleacher steps (bottle flying from coat pocket), missing pizza, and a knee surgery. One of my favorite Dakotah Field game experiences.

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    1 minute mark of this... punt actually went forward a little bit though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXkT107x2E
    Those boys look like they're playing boot hockey out there. My dad used to take me to a ton of Bison games when I was tiny. Now I take him. Maybe the wrong thread, but this sort of thing will be missed with the current supply/demand for tickets. Great problem to have for NDSU, but those were a lot of great memories.

NOOO thanks. I've sat in a cold, windy, freezing rain at Dakotah Field vs the Sioux, and at the December playoff game against Montana State. Outdoor football around here is fine in Sept and Oct, but that's about as far as it goes.

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

No, No you wouldn't, I was there and it SUCKED worse than UN_!!! I don't ever want to have to watch a game like that again!
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."