Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article about Montana and the WAC (NDSU is mentioned in passing)

Default Re: Article about Montana and the WAC (NDSU is mentioned in passing)

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    NDSU has said that it wants to end up in the 2nd highest level of football when all the dust settles once and for all. Whatever that level is called later, it is the G5 now. The WAC could make it G6. And it could be made up of the best of our current rivals--a nice mix of quality MVFC and BSC teams. Those who said after Iowa that we should stay FCS and just keep beating the FBS teams when we play them are forgetting that the opportunity to play FBS teams is going away. Oregon may well be the last FBS team we play if things stay the same (and that's if Oregon doesn't buy us out and cancel the game). Doing FBS on the cheap (relatively speaking) by using the WAC still gives us access to those higher end opponents. I don't know why some think it would be such a bad idea, as compared to other non-P5 conferences.
    The G5(6) has to become STRUCTURALLY the 2nd tier and not just because of competitive imbalance. Currently they compete for the same things that the P5 do and they lose all the time. No way I want to be part of that until there is a separate championship for which all schools of the same level compete.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    The G5(6) has to become STRUCTURALLY the 2nd tier and not just because of competitive imbalance. Currently they compete for the same things that the P5 do and they lose all the time. No way I want to be part of that until there is a separate championship for which all schools of the same level compete.
    Not saying that i'm pro FBS but.... if this logic is correct we might as well shut down EVERY other athletic program sans football. There is NO way that we win a national championship in any other sport - and we compete "at the same level".

If you're a G5 school you compete in FBS football for prestige, money and notoriety. There will never be a G5 national champion in the current setup. Yet, you don't see people (outside of Idaho) dropping down because they would better be mediocre at the best level of football than great at a lesser level.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    Not saying that i'm pro FBS but.... if this logic is correct we might as well shut down EVERY other athletic program sans football. There is NO way that we win a national championship in any other sport - and we compete "at the same level".

If you're a G5 school you compete in FBS football for prestige, money and notoriety. There will never be a G5 national champion in the current setup. Yet, you don't see people (outside of Idaho) dropping down because they would better be mediocre at the best level of football than great at a lesser level.
    I've got to ask. "Money for who?" Administrators, presidents, middle management, coaches, Presidents; sure. The institution. Not so much. These programs do not pay their own way and they're an increasing burden on the students and the states that they are supposed to be serving.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Did the G5 folks read the hot piles of dog shit bowl games? They don't even get to play P5 teams for those which was an eye opener for me. So, basically, 1 G5 team gets to play a P5 team in an old BCS bowl, and maybe one more gets to for the two conference NDSU would need to consider. And no opportunity to play for a national title. (Say what you want about other sports, but it is possible to win a national title even if exceedingly unlikely; see Coastal Carolina Baseball......) And a good share of the costs.

I see no logic in this until an actual structural change happens. Not to mention, no one is doing anything about the Dome issue, and that is too small even if we stay FCS. (Yes, I know it is okay size compared to others, but it is not big enough for us.)

No way in hell would I want NDSU in the WAC. At least not as it is currently. Why would any school this side of the rockies want to be in a conference with California schools???

I'd be OK with the NAC = Northern Athletic Conference:

West division: Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, New Mexico State
    East Division: North Dakota State, South Dakota State, South Dakota, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois(or Illinois State, Missouri State)

oldmantutters is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    No way in hell would I want NDSU in the WAC. At least not as it is currently. Why would any school this side of the rockies want to be in a conference with California schools???

I'd be OK with the NAC = Northern Athletic Conference:

West division: Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, New Mexico State
    East Division: North Dakota State, South Dakota State, South Dakota, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois(or Illinois State, Missouri State)
    Nope. First off, UND. Nope. Second, I'm for moving up if it makes sense. I'm not sure creating a new conference makes sense, and if it consisted of the aforementioned schools, it wouldn't make sense. For football it doesn't look awful. For basketball BSC teams do nothing for me and I'm pretty sure UNI and ISU-R would never leave the MVC.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Nope. First off, UND. Nope. Second, I'm for moving up if it makes sense. I'm not sure creating a new conference makes sense, and if it consisted of the aforementioned schools, it wouldn't make sense. For football it doesn't look awful. For basketball BSC teams do nothing for me and I'm pretty sure UNI and ISU-R would never leave the MVC.
    First off UND does make sense. You may not like them, I surely don't, doesn't matter. Secondly there is no existing FBS conference that makes sense. Thirdly, the MVC without Wichita State or UNI is meh anyway. People seem to have an unrealistic view of the MVC as this great BB power. Outside of a couple schools it is not that great anymore. Plus the MVC is ruled by the privates now. Combining state flagship schools with a few power schools in FB and BB makes a good conference IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    First off UND does make sense. You may not like them, I surely don't, doesn't matter. Secondly there is no existing FBS conference that makes sense. Thirdly, the MVC without Wichita State or UNI is meh anyway. People seem to have an unrealistic view of the MVC as this great BB power. Outside of a couple schools it is not that great anymore. Plus the MVC is ruled by the privates now. Combining state flagship schools with a few power schools in FB and BB makes a good conference IMO.
    No, they don't make sense. They are in a full blown budget meltdown with high student fee and state subsidization.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    No, they don't make sense. They are in a full blown budget meltdown with high student fee and state subsidization.
    See, they fit right in with the rest of the G5.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    UND has the lowest subsidy on 98's list outside of NDSU and Montana. The "full-blown budget meltdown" has been mostly taken care of and now they are doing what they should have done a decade ago and cut some extra fat to strengthen what is left.