Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article about Montana and the WAC (NDSU is mentioned in passing)

Default Article about Montana and the WAC (NDSU is mentioned in passing)

http://missoulian.com/sports/college...1cb90b6be.html

I do wonder if this conference might be our future one day. This would be the easiest route to a G5 conference, and it would make sense regionally. I know NDSU's preferred timetable is a few years down the road. But if things started developing quickly in the next year and we had to $#!% or get off the pot, I could see it.

Those of you who hate talking about any and all things FBS, duly noted. You may move along now.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Default Re: Article about Montana and the WAC (NDSU is mentioned in passing)

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    http://missoulian.com/sports/college...1cb90b6be.html

I do wonder if this conference might be our future one day. This would be the easiest route to a G5 conference, and it would make sense regionally. I know NDSU's preferred timetable is a few years down the road. But if things started developing quickly in the next year and we had to $#!% or get off the pot, I could see it.

Those of you who hate talking about any and all things FBS, duly noted. You may move along now.
    Interesting article. Especially since the previous commissioner Fullerton said when asked about moving up to the FBS that he backed away from that idea because he just couldnt sell it. So I find it interesting that the one guy said he could get UM and MSU to jump.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Lol, a glorified fcs conference that costs Millions more to win nothing Sign me up

MWC would be a no brainer, this not so much
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

I don't think there is much meat in the article. The only thing I can gather is Idaho really isn't that interested in FCS. Sounds like the writer is using Foolum tactics

Personally I think the wac could be interesting with a mix of top Big Sky and MVFC teams

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Lol, a glorified fcs conference that costs Millions more to win nothing Sign me up

MWC would be a no brainer, this not so much
    The MWC doesn't even have very good bowl tie-ins, but at least they have some. Don't think that we'd see four new bowl games created just for the WAC.

MWC bowl tie-ins (just looking at them is depressing):

– Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs. MAC
    – Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Conference USA
    – Hawai’i Bowl vs. American Athletic
    – NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl vs. Conference USA (or Sun Belt if C-USA not available)
    – San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia vs. BYU (or MAC if BYU not available)

source: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/...ons-conference

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The MWC doesn't even have very good bowl tie-ins, but at least they have some. Don't think that we'd see four new bowl games created just for the WAC.

– NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl vs. Conference USA (or Sun Belt if C-USA not available)
    – San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia vs. BYU (or MAC if BYU not available)

Hawaii and San Diego in December? Yes please! Other than that, I still like the playoffs.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

What a hot pile of dog shit.....are the MAC tie ins any better?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    What a hot pile of dog shit.....are the MAC tie ins any better?
    No, but there are more of them.

– Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs. Mountain West
    – Dollar General Bowl vs. Sun Belt
    – Miami Beach Bowl vs. American Athletic
    – Popeyes Bahamas Bowl vs. Conference USA
    – Raycom Media Camellia Bowl vs. Sun Belt

Conditional:
    – Quick Lane Bowl: Conditional if ACC or Big Ten can’t fill a spot.
    – San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl: Conditional if BYU or Mountain West can’t fill a spot.

The only one that is interesting to me is the Quick Lane bowl because the MAC team plays a P5 team - but that game only occurs under certain circumstances. Every non-conditional bowl is G5 v G5.

Yeah, some of the bowl sites would be fun for a winter break but, honestly, going to a football game in Hawaii or the Bahamas fills me full of meh.

MSP, Chicago, Green Bay, KC, Denver - I'd much rather watch football in those places.

NDSU has said that it wants to end up in the 2nd highest level of football when all the dust settles once and for all. Whatever that level is called later, it is the G5 now. The WAC could make it G6. And it could be made up of the best of our current rivals--a nice mix of quality MVFC and BSC teams. Those who said after Iowa that we should stay FCS and just keep beating the FBS teams when we play them are forgetting that the opportunity to play FBS teams is going away. Oregon may well be the last FBS team we play if things stay the same (and that's if Oregon doesn't buy us out and cancel the game). Doing FBS on the cheap (relatively speaking) by using the WAC still gives us access to those higher end opponents. I don't know why some think it would be such a bad idea, as compared to other non-P5 conferences.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    NDSU has said that it wants to end up in the 2nd highest level of football when all the dust settles once and for all. Whatever that level is called later, it is the G5 now. The WAC could make it G6. And it could be made up of the best of our current rivals--a nice mix of quality MVFC and BSC teams. Those who said after Iowa that we should stay FCS and just keep beating the FBS teams when we play them are forgetting that the opportunity to play FBS teams is going away. Oregon may well be the last FBS team we play if things stay the same (and that's if Oregon doesn't buy us out and cancel the game). Doing FBS on the cheap (relatively speaking) by using the WAC still gives us access to those higher end opponents. I don't know why some think it would be such a bad idea, as compared to other non-P5 conferences.
    It's all about value for money as far as I'm concerned. The G5 business model is broken. It's all of the cost of P5 with none of the benefit. And its getting worse not better, TV money is shrinking for those conferences.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie