Page 86 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Default Re: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    And yet these schools continue to keep coming up with the money year after year, so how "under-resourced" are they?

I suppose we can continue to beat up on the "sisters for the poor" and play on the road in high school stadiums in front of high school crowds year after year, or we could play teams with similar facilities with similar quality of athlete's which will result in more competitive games week after week. Currently, NDSU is playing below their pay grade.
    Did Lakes take over your account?

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    There is no such thing as a "high quality" HBCU anymore, even with air quotes around it. Those schools' tradition lives on the days before the SEC integrated black students. Those schools travel? To where? Birmingham? Memphis maybe? I don't think those schools' fans are going to travel to Minneapolis to watch a football game.

NDSU is stuck is a shitty spot. I don't know what the best path forward is, I'd enjoy FBS, even if it was in the MAC or something. FCS is for basketball schools that want to also sponsor football.

I do agree with you that there are no "high quality HBCU's" now, but they do travel well, and they do come up north. Earlier this September there was the Chicago Football Classic game between Morehouse and Miles at Soldier Field (I ran into a few players from Miles College at the Hyatt Regency Hotel when I was there for a wedding the night before, and they said players and fans love playing in those types of games). There were 21,093 in attendance for a game between 2 division II teams that are located in the deep south (Morehouse in Atlanta, Miles outside of Birmingham, Alabama).

There is also a classic held in Indianapolis every year as well.

So while most of the HBCU classics are in the south, teams do play up north and also bring lots of fans with them.

Furthermore, if you can get an arrogant team/coach/university (cough North Carolina A&T) that wants to prove that they should be ranked higher and/or are just as good as the FCS Powers, the team may just agree to play NDSU in a game like this.

But yes, I agree with you that NDSU is stuck between a rock and a hard place for getting payday games, so they have to look at alternative options. After all, NDSU in only getting $425k from Arizona for a game in 2022 (Youngstown State is getting $725k from Michigan State for a game in 2021). If NDSU can make $1 million for a neutral site game against an FCS team, it is actually better to do that than play an FBS game that has a higher possibility of being a loss.

The MAC is a joke and the MWC is too damn wide spread and out of our region. If we could get the top programs from the Valley to go FBS with us it would make sense but as it stands right now we got no place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    To each his own. For me, I think this is going to be a blast. I can't wait for the game and like the idea of playing at Target Field. I agree the opponent isn't great, but you can't make people play you, they have to take what they can get.
    I agree, I am jacked to have this game. Bison fans travel to way worse destinations, with shittier facilities. This game gives us some outdoor football, great facility and amenities (I dont care if is primarily for baseball, so was the Metrodome and Bison fans came in droves for those games), for those of us who want to get into a game and have more than one person able to sit next to us, a showcase for more MN recruits, a ton of bars nearby to party with fellow Bison fans for the weekend and after the game. While we don't have the premier team facing us that many want, it will be an opportunity for us to dominate the stands as if it were a dome game or like when we go to Frisco. It's an additional revenue opportunity for the school and program without giving up a home game.

As far as tailgating, I am not sure what the plan is yet, but there is an open face lot on the north side of the stadium that is about the size of one of the west lots that I assume will be used for tailgating for this game. Can't wait for this.
    “Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't” - Jerry Rice

Quote Originally Posted by HerdThat! View Post
    I agree, I am jacked to have this game. Bison fans travel to way worse destinations, with shittier facilities. This game gives us some outdoor football, great facility and amenities (I dont care if is primarily for baseball, so was the Metrodome and Bison fans came in droves for those games), for those of us who want to get into a game and have more than one person able to sit next to us, a showcase for more MN recruits, a ton of bars nearby to party with fellow Bison fans for the weekend and after the game. While we don't have the premier team facing us that many want, it will be an opportunity for us to dominate the stands as if it were a dome game or like when we go to Frisco. It's an additional revenue opportunity for the school and program without giving up a home game.

As far as tailgating, I am not sure what the plan is yet, but there is an open face lot on the north side of the stadium that is about the size of one of the west lots that I assume will be used for tailgating for this game. Can't wait for this.
    I agree with the overall thoughts, but the metrodome was built for football, and they happened to play baseball there......

It's also not like they're playing the game at a decrepit old baseball stadium. Target Field is one of the nicest MLB stadiums there is with amenities to match. We got a crew of 24 that booked a suite... can't do that at the Fargodome or at any Bison game played in recent memory except for Frisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's also not like they're playing the game at a decrepit old baseball stadium. Target Field is one of the nicest MLB stadiums there is with amenities to match. We got a crew of 24 that booked a suite... can't do that at the Fargodome or at any Bison game played in recent memory except for Frisco.
    Where did you book the suite through? I hadn't considered that as an option, but it's probably worth looking into for our crew as well.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    Where did you book the suite through? I hadn't considered that as an option, but it's probably worth looking into for our crew as well.
    I called the Twins ticket office. The guy in charge of suite ticketing is named Scott O'Connell if you want to look him up. I booked it earlier this week and he made it sound like availability was limited and he expected it to be sold out soon.

If they are all sold out I would guess that there may be more coming available as we get closer to the game since I would guess the regular suite holders for the Twins games get first dibs on them.

I called the Twins ticket office. The guy in charge of suite ticketing is named Scott O'Connell if you want to look him up. I booked it earlier this week and he made it sound like availability was limited and he expected it to be sold out soon.

If they are all sold out I would guess that there may be more coming available as we get closer to the game since I would guess the regular suite holders for the Twins games get first dibs on them.
    They are all taken and will put you on a waiting list if you would like. We declined the wait list and will just buy tickets on Tuesday.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Guy was super nice to deal with. Sounded like he was a little taken aback at how quick Bison fans were to jump on the opportunity. Basically said, "You guys don't mess around." We passed on the suite and are just going to get tickets in the 2nd deck. Should be a great view from there.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.