Page 25 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Default Re: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Would we ever do a non-conference game against a Mvfc team (ie play them twice) - could see uni or sdsu selling well.

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    Would we ever do a non-conference game against a Mvfc team (ie play them twice) - could see uni or sdsu selling well.
    I cant see that happening. Heck we hate having to play conference mates in the playoffs. That would leave the possibility of playing them 3 times in one year.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think it is intriguing. I see TCF mentioned as what some fans would like considered. I don't think that will ever happen. The goofers don't have enough self-confidence to sign off on that one. I agree with some that it has to be an opponent from a different recruiting footprint. Maybe even a funbelt school if the money could work.

Some of the things I would like to see:
    1. It can't cost NDSU any money. There better be some return financially. Not just selling the game as a payback to alum or a recruiting bit. I am not saying the game has to be a financial windfall, just make sure it can reasonably pass the break-even point.
    2. Target field should be big enough season ticket holders can be taken care of first. Just going by points should still get every season ticket holder into the game.
    3. There has to be a decent sponsor tie in. The school cannot count on ticket buyers to completely fund this and expect both a turnout and a profit.
    4. I am not a fan of gimmicks, but I don't have a problem with branching out to allow more accessibility. I hope there will be some research by the marketing department this would draw people.
    5. With the lightrail, there will be opportunities for tailgating.

I am not overly excited about this but I am not against it either. I don't see the twin cities as being the Bison's home away from home. There just isn't many alternatives to reach out and have a stadium with the capacity in a community with Bison alumni as a focal point. If Bismarck was a large city with a 40k seat stadium, I think you could sell that in a heartbeat to everybody. The Bismarck Bowl and the 5k some capacity isn't going to cut it.
    Nice well reasoned post.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I cant see that happening. Heck we hate having to play conference mates in the playoffs. That would leave the possibility of playing them 3 times in one year.
    Plus, they would want a cut of the gate or a larger contract. This is designed by NDSU for NDSU.

App St. or Georgia Southern would be cool, but they would require a huge contract. This will likely be an eastern FCS team out of our footprint. They even hinted at it in the article basically stating the opponent won't matter. It'll be an FCS cupcake team.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    Plus, they would want a cut of the gate or a larger contract. This is designed by NDSU for NDSU.

App St. or Georgia Southern would be cool, but they would require a huge contract. This will likely be an eastern FCS team out of our footprint. They even hinted at it in the article basically stating the opponent won't matter. It'll be an FCS cupcake team.
    If it's an FCS Cupcake team, it's going to be an average turnout. An average turnout is not impressive and goes against the whole reasoning for doing it. Not going to wow recruits by bringing them to a ho hum game that has no energy , half capacity, and is empty by halftime.

Now if we can sell 40k tickets and have an amazing atmosphere and put on a great show... That would be awesome.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

It will sell out.

Hint, the 19000 fans in Fargo aren't the same 19000 fans on Frisco. Maybe a 50% overlap. This type of spectacle would tap into both groups. A great opponent would be gravy.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    It will sell out.

Hint, the 19000 fans in Fargo aren't the same 19000 fans on Frisco. Maybe a 50% overlap. This type of spectacle would tap into both groups. A great opponent would be gravy.
    Your not actually comparing fans who travel from sub zero Fargo to Frisco Texas for the National Championship in January to fans who will drive to watch us beat Austin Peay in Minnesota.

The USD game in Sioux Falls drew 9269 And at least a quarter of those fans were USD fans... And the stadium wasn't sold out. Fans knew it would be a boring blowout so we had a whopping 6k fans, if that, drive 3 hours to Sioux Falls.

I think Matt Larson is totally over estimating our fan base. They travel for good games. Key word good games.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Your not actually comparing fans who travel from sub zero Fargo to Frisco Texas for the National Championship in January to fans who will drive to watch us beat Austin Peay in Minnesota.

The USD game in Sioux Falls drew 9269 And at least a quarter of those fans were USD fans... And the stadium wasn't sold out. Fans knew it would be a blowout sobwe had a whopping 6k fans drive 3 hours
    If its a cupcake it has to be the first game of the season. If its not the first game the opponent has to be good. IMO

]

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    If its a cupcake it has to be the first game of the season. If its not the first game the opponent has to be good. IMO
    First game in Fargo people just want to tailgate and watch a game. Tailgating weather is great. We would draw 19k vs Jamestown. Maybe we could raise the National Championship banner in Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

The USD game in Sioux Falls drew 9269 And at least a quarter of those fans were USD fans... And the stadium wasn't sold out. Fans knew it would be a boring blowout so we had a whopping 6k fans, if that, drive 3 hours to Sioux Falls.

I think Matt Larson is totally over estimating our fan base. They travel for good games. Key word good games.

However we could put Jamestown in the dome and draw 19k.
    And you don't think the number of NDSU Alum/Fans that live in the Minneapolis Metro dwarf the numbers in Sioux Falls? Poor comparison. Also that game was a USD home game and they held it there to boost their athletics not us. I don't really care that much one way of the other, but if the Target Field game happens there will be 25K+ NDSU fans there.