Page 85 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Default Re: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

I think there would a better level of competition in non-conference games, conference would be about the same and who knows in regards to postseason since it could vary wildly.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I think there would a better level of competition in non-conference games, conference would be about the same and who knows in regards to postseason since it could vary wildly.
    So how many high school level stadiums with 2000 in attendance would there be when playing at a G5 team. No way any G5 team would have a stadium and fan attendance like 3 of the teams in the MVFC.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    So how many high school level stadiums with 2000 in attendance would there be when playing at a G5 team. No way any G5 team would have a stadium and fan attendance like 3 of the teams in the MVFC.
    I was talking about level of competition, from a fans and facilities standpoint it isn't even a debate G5 dominates in every way.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUKurt View Post
    Actually, it makes a lot of sense:

By scheduling a game against a team that is not "in region" and does not have a lot of fans traveling to watch, it frees up more tickets for NDSU fans. This way NDSU will have a better understanding of what the max number of tickets that will be purchased for one of their games by NDSU fans.

If NDSU is looking to do another one of these games in the future, they may be looking at a larger venue. A fact is that many HBCU's travel very, very well. If NDSU determines from the Butler game that there is demand for say 45k tickets, then the plan could be in the works to play another game like this against a "high quality" HBCU that travels well. If that team was to being an additional 10k fans, that would be potentially 50k-60k fans for a game at US Bank Stadium or somewhere comparable.

Make sure to look at the long term data and information that will be gathered from this game - it will help to answer questions about ticket demand and availability in the future years for Bison games.
    There is no such thing as a "high quality" HBCU anymore, even with air quotes around it. Those schools' tradition lives on the days before the SEC integrated black students. Those schools travel? To where? Birmingham? Memphis maybe? I don't think those schools' fans are going to travel to Minneapolis to watch a football game.

NDSU is stuck is a shitty spot. I don't know what the best path forward is, I'd enjoy FBS, even if it was in the MAC or something. FCS is for basketball schools that want to also sponsor football.
    College of Business Alumnus

Another thing I think we're missing in this discussion is if NDSU ever wants to move up we'd likely need a regional partner (or 2 or 3 or 5). A lot of the arguments about moving up are centered around the fact that it was done with the D2 to FCS move which had the same concerns and that's been a massive success. Would the D1 move had been a massive success without a certain partner school a couple hundred miles south?

I think from a football standpoint it could've been but I think it would've been a lot tougher if not impossible to get the conference affiliations they have gotten without SDSU. Purely from a football standpoint an FBS move could work but what about with basketball and all the non-revenue sports that would be on an island without a regional partner? Do we marginalize all those other sports for the sake of football? That sounds a lot like the mentality another school in this area has about a different sport.

In the end I think an FBS move has a much higher chance of success with a regional partner. It would also make getting conference affiliation that much easier which is one of the biggest hurdles with moving up. Is there any such regional partner(s) ready and willing to make that move?
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 10-26-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Who wants to see a football game in a baseball stadium far away from the field with a big chunk of the field played on sand? Also against some lame opponent. If I want a big game experience I will wait and spend my money to go see the Bison play in a real football venue against an FBS opponent. What a joke, Bison fans are not like NAIA Johnnie fans that got all excited about playing in a big venue regardless of the configuration.
    To each his own. For me, I think this is going to be a blast. I can't wait for the game and like the idea of playing at Target Field. I agree the opponent isn't great, but you can't make people play you, they have to take what they can get.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    To each his own. For me, I think this is going to be a blast. I can't wait for the game and like the idea of playing at Target Field. I agree the opponent isn't great, but you can't make people play you, they have to take what they can get.
    What this guy said. Looking forward to taking the family to the cities for the weekend, eating some good food, staying at a nice hotel, seeing old friends (even Gully), and watching some bison football. What could be better?

I swear most of you guys are never happy. Piss and moan. Piss and moan. The crowd sucks. The dome is boring cause we win too much (WTF?). Our opponents suck. It's JJ's fault that Alabama won't schedule us (yeah right). The students suck. We have to wear yellow? We have to wear green? I can't get into the tailgate lot. I can't get out of the tailgate lot.

A bunch of serial whiners.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft-living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life...

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GOB1SON View Post
    What this guy said. Looking forward to taking the family to the cities for the weekend, eating some good food, staying at a nice hotel, seeing old friends (even Gully), and watching some bison football. What could be better?

I swear most of you guys are never happy. Piss and moan. Piss and moan. The crowd sucks. The dome is boring cause we win too much (WTF?). Our opponents suck. It's JJ's fault that Alabama won't schedule us (yeah right). The students suck. We have to wear yellow? We have to wear green? I can't get into the tailgate lot. I can't get out of the tailgate lot.

A bunch of serial whiners.
    Need some popcorn after this post

Spot on though

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I go to the State Fair every year, usually labor day weekend, so I am pumped up I'll get to do NDSU on Saturday and the fair on Sunday. A perfect weekend getaway!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    There is no such thing as a "high quality" HBCU anymore, even with air quotes around it. Those schools' tradition lives on the days before the SEC integrated black students. Those schools travel? To where? Birmingham? Memphis maybe? I don't think those schools' fans are going to travel to Minneapolis to watch a football game.

NDSU is stuck is a shitty spot. I don't know what the best path forward is, I'd enjoy FBS, even if it was in the MAC or something. FCS is for basketball schools that want to also sponsor football.
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

I'd also be in favor of staying FCS forever if the level of competition can increase. Next year will be interesting with a new QB possibility of new coach etc...
    I keep saying it, but if Montana Montana State, SDSU, UNI, (hell, even UN_) can actually become relevant and start consistantly winning games, this Division becomes wildly more entertaining
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS