Page 73 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Default Re: NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    Let's be honest for a moment.... NDSU chose to do this game because it was something that was unique and different. This game was originally scheduled in Fargo but when the Twins came with the proposal, NDSU chose to move the game. If this game would have been played in Fargo the games attendance would be OK but there would be absolutely no life in the crowd and the majority would be outside tailgating by the 2nd quarter.

Generally speaking the non-conference schedule in Fargo is uneventful and the games are usually VERY boring. We don't get the FBS games that we used to and with only 1 or 2 "good" home games annually the fear among administration is that the fans will eventually start finding other ways to spend their money. To be honest as a lifelong NDSU fan, alum and regular attendee/tailgater I've even been considering what else I should be doing since MOST times when I enter the Fargodome the game has already been decided before it starts.

People on this board keep on telling me how awesome it is to win every game, go to the playoffs and win Nattys but if every year i'm hoping to see possibly 1 or 2 competitive football games all year long I start to yawn.

The games that everyone remembers (UNI loud, last minute comeback against SHSU, the two playoff games against GSU) are few and far between. Even our most important rivalry games don't have the buzz that they once did. The reason..... Everyone ultimately believes that we will win and they are going to save their enthusiasm for January.

Honestly, that is where we are at with NDSU football. Our success is unprecedented and by the looks of it should continue for the next decade or more. This was NDSU's opportunity to put some life back into the fanbase. Some will bitch because they lost a home game. MOST will take this as an opportunity to take a trip to the Twin Cities and have some fun. After all, isn't that what it's all about as a fan.... having fun?

Meanwhile, will someone wake me up in January?
    Quoted for truth
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I am far from a casual fan but i think that there is a difference in winning against an opponent that can give us a good game versus winning games by a huge margin.

The average margin of victory over the past 5 seasons versus both conference and non-conference:

2018 to date - 25 points
    2017 = 30.6
    2016 = 12.7
    2015 = 22.5
    2014 = 25.2

Most of those seasons only resulting in 1 or 2 losses. So, yea it's great to win all the time.... But you can't blame the casual or even dedicated fan for getting a little bored. Now, i'm not saying that i want to slip back into mediocrity because i certainly don't want that. What I am saying though is that a game (no matter how bad the opponent is) at Target Field will add some fun to a schedule that in all likelihood will have a bunch of blowouts will be something fun and different.
    And yet every other fanbase would give their left nuts to have what we do, and we have "fans" complaining, it's comical

One other thing to point out.... Most years we have 6 home games. Next year is no exception. The additional 12th game that is allowed for next year is a "home" game at Target Field. The fan base and season ticket holders are not getting cheated in any way. The game is labor day weekend which would typically be a lower attendance game anyways. People bitching about this game should understand these points and realize that this is something that is supposed to be fun. No need to give a 7th home game to a fan base that likely will only show up to tailgate on a holiday weekend where the student section will be half full at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    And yet every other fanbase would give their left nuts to have what we do, and we have "fans" complaining, it's comical
    You are right. Most teams would love to be as successful as NDSU is and has been. After a while though, even those fans would become less than enthusiastic about winning when most of games being played are the equivalent of Varsity vs. JV.

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The game is a nice change of pace. It's something different which is needed for the casual fans. A lot of us dont understand because we are superfans how monotonous NDSU games have become to casual fans. Every game is the exact same layout (same pregame & halftime show you cannot hear) with absolutely nothing different except for the teams they play and final scores. Successful programs need to keep drawing the casual fans and the bandwagon fans.
    The fella that watches the CFL

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Who wants to see a football game in a baseball stadium far away from the field with a big chunk of the field played on sand? Also against some lame opponent. If I want a big game experience I will wait and spend my money to go see the Bison play in a real football venue against an FBS opponent. What a joke, Bison fans are not like NAIA Johnnie fans that got all excited about playing in a big venue regardless of the configuration.
    Easy fix, don't go then.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Who wants to see a football game in a baseball stadium far away from the field with a big chunk of the field played on sand? Also against some lame opponent. If I want a big game experience I will wait and spend my money to go see the Bison play in a real football venue against an FBS opponent. What a joke, Bison fans are not like NAIA Johnnie fans that got all excited about playing in a big venue regardless of the configuration.
    Which is why there will be 30,000 plus excited Bison fans there. Get a grip. Notre Dame plays Navy in San Diego this weekend. They're 24 point favorites. It's not all about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Well I know Matt Larsen likes nice weather for tailgating but he's needs to do a better job of scheduling Bison games around harvest. It's North Dakota for cripes sake.
    Lol yep should schedule around hunting season too. Need more games in August and January.

The only reason this game is happening is because the Twins need to put butts in seats of that stadium.

You have to remember that the twin cities is a huge recruiting area for NDSU and this while a little lame will showcase the Bison in the cities.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Our friends in Brookings get to try and row the boat on Thursday night before our game. Nice of them to play opener before the main show rolls into town on Saturday.

https://gophersports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=351