Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About all those Bad FBS teams we beat

Default About all those Bad FBS teams we beat

Something I have been thinking about regarding the FBS win streak. Everyone is quick to discount the wins over Kansas, Minn, CSU, and ISU because those teams were bad. Those teams were bad, but that is not the end of the analysis. Its not like we barely beat those teams (with the exception of Kansas). Also, any claim that the 2013 KSU team was mediocre is false. That team, when healthy like they were when they played NDSU, was really good. My thoughts, for whatever they are worth:

Kansas 2010: Yes this team was bad and we squeaked by them. But we weren’t good yet. We also lost 3-0 to Missouri state that year. So I get not getting much credit for this win, but we weren’t good yet.

Minnesota 2011: Yes, this team was bad too. But we beat them by 2 tds on the road. Exactly what you should do to a bad team if you are fringe top 25-30. Also of note: UM lost by 2 at USC two weeks earlier. Lost by 7 at ranked MSU. They did get crushed at home by top 20 Nebraska and top 20 Wisconsin. Beat Illinois (by 20) and beat Iowa. Mostly freshman and sophomores for this NDSU team too.

Colorado State 2012: Yes this team was bad too. But we beat them by 15 on the road, and definitely went conservative in second half (up 19-7 at half). Yards, TOP, etc was a massacre. Exactly what you should do to a bad team if you are fringe top 25-30. Also of note: They beat CU the week before we played. Held them to fewest points all year. Only fresno state beat them by more in fort Collins (21, which we could have gotten to).

Kansas State 2013. This team was really good when its receivers were healthy. And we won at their place by three without our best DT. Also of note: 21 points was tied for fewest KSU scored that year, only because they kept fumbling at Texas. Other results in Manhattan that year: Crushed LaLafayette, Crushed Umass, Lost to number 15 Baylor by 10 WITHOUT LOCKETT OR THOMPSON, Crushed WV, Crushed ISU, beat TCU, lost to sugar bowl champion Oklahoma by 10 (Ok beat Bama by 14 that year). The other losses not yet mentioned were at Texas by ten (3 fumbles lost by KSU to zero turnovers for Texas) and at ranked OSU by 4, with Lockett getting hurt in first half and Thompson not playing (and 5 turnovers to one and 92 penalty yards to 7). Also beat ranked TTU in Lubbock and smashed Kansas and Michigan to end the year. Again, at home that year they lost to an awesome Oklahoma team by 10, a really good baylor team by ten without both of KSU's good receivers, and NDSU.

Iowa State 2014: Yes, this team was bad. But we beat them at their place by 20, and definitely called the dogs off in the 4th quarter. Also of note: Number 7 Baylor beat ISU by 21 that year. Ranked OSU beat them 17. Ranked Kansas state beat them by 4. They lost at texas by 3 (and got screwed by refs if I remember right). They won at Iowa. Lost by 3 to TTU and 13 to WVU. Bottom line is this team was terrible, but we smashed them, just like a top 25 team should, putting up over 500 yards offense despite taking foot off the gas.

2016 Iowa. Jury is still out on this Iowa team, but I won’t be surprised if 21 is fewest they score all year and they end of up with some nice wins. Crushed them in total yards, TOP, etc.

Putting Kansas aside, those other three teams that were bad we get little credit for beating, but it is not like we won by 1 point in those games. And that Kansas State team was not mediocre. Nobody discredits any FBS team when they win by 2tds or more on the road against a P5 or MWC opponent, even if those teams are bad.

Default Re: About all those Bad FBS teams we beat

The Bison did what they were supposed to do. They steam rolled bad teams on the road. The Colorado State, Minnesota, and Iowa State games were dominating.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

KU beat a decently ranked Georgia Tech team the week after we beat the Jayhawks. I think Tech was #15.

The 2010 team was good enough to get to the FCS quarterfinals and lose in overtime to the eventual champion.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    The 2010 team was good enough to get to the FCS quarterfinals and lose in overtime to the eventual champion.
    I think they were good enough that year to be the eventual champion. But that's not how the cards fell. I've had EWU folks tell me that game was their hardest fought game all year, including the championship game.

I agree with the OP, but good luck getting any FBS apologists to give credit to the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Yes, I did not mean any disrespect to that team. They could have won a national championship as well. I'm not sure how good they were at the beginning of the year. I just meant they took some lumps and I don't think anyone was arguing that the team that played Kansas was on the level of the teams that followed.

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Even with this year I think that KSU team you guys beat is your crown jewel. Watched the entirety of both games and KSU was a legit good team, Iowa seems limited. I don't think Iowa will have a terrible season but even though they were ranked higher they were not at the same level as that KSU team. Is Oregon the next FBS team on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    Even with this year I think that KSU team you guys beat is your crown jewel. Watched the entirety of both games and KSU was a legit good team, Iowa seems limited. I don't think Iowa will have a terrible season but even though they were ranked higher they were not at the same level as that KSU team. Is Oregon the next FBS team on the list?
    Yes...Oregon is up in 2020. Wish we could have another one before that. The Oregon game could be a tough one...depending on the state of their program then...and of course, ours.

...and I agree with you about KSU vs. Iowa.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know this is going to sound really profound to some of you but,....You can only beat the teams that you schedule! ��

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    I know this is going to sound really profound to some of you but,....You can only beat the teams that you schedule! ��
    That's not true. We don't schedule ourselves and we beat ourselves all the time.