Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 enrollment numbers

Default Re: 2016 enrollment numbers

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Didnt want to start a new thread but this wont look good http://bismarcktribune.com/news/stat...232d0dd58.html
    oh, boy

here we go
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1952 View Post
    I thought this time last year, President Bresciani had a goal of 18,000 in 5 years. Maybe that has been scrapped. A dip, even if very slight, does not bode well to reaching their goals.
    Dude.

The state has proposed cutting NDSU's budget by as much as 26.5%. How the hell could that happen and enrollment increase by 20%?
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Dude.

The state has proposed cutting NDSU's budget by as much as 26.5%. How the hell could that happen and enrollment increase by 20%?

I posted that comment back in September of 2016.

Today with the budget news, that enrollment goal is obviously one of the least concerns. Much bigger fish to fry.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Didnt want to start a new thread but this wont look good http://bismarcktribune.com/news/stat...232d0dd58.html
    Let the process work itself out. I worked in special education for 31 years in North Dakota, and once during that time a parent filed a complaint with OCR saying that we had discriminated against her child because of a disability (FYI - claim was unsubstantiated, and OCR found entirely with the school). OCR obviously knows the in's and out's of what is a reasonable accommodation and what is not. Just because an allegation is made, that does not mean it is valid. We shall see how this turns out.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Let the process work itself out. I worked in special education for 31 years in North Dakota, and once during that time a parent filed a complaint with OCR saying that we had discriminated against her child because of a disability (FYI - claim was unsubstantiated, and OCR found entirely with the school). OCR obviously knows the in's and out's of what is a reasonable accommodation and what is not. Just because an allegation is made, that does not mean it is valid. We shall see how this turns out.
    Hopefully NDSU administration documented everything in this case. This girl doesn't have the maturity or ambition to make it through NDSU's pharmacy program, and hopefully that comes out. And no, I'm not making assumptions, I have some knowledge of the situation.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    The Forum mentions that NDSU claims they made the change due to new accreditation requirements. You'd think journalists would be able to easily verify that one way or the other. Unless it doesn't fit their sensationalist agenda, that is.

I don't know much about the case, but I'm very skeptical that having somebody else perform curriculum tasks for you is a "reasonable" accommodation or something that would translate to a real job.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1952 View Post
    I posted that comment back in September of 2016.

Today with the budget news, that enrollment goal is obviously one of the least concerns. Much bigger fish to fry.

Don't care.

I see a zombie, I shoot it in the head.

(Sorry Bill Murray)
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Here's an IDEA FUND NDSU at other ND Colleges same level!

when dunbar hall is gonna blow up and Gate City Bank is sponsoring/paying for Stevens Auditorium..... there wont be money left for reconfiguring the pharmacy dept. sorry, this is on the NDUS and SBOHE, not NDSU
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    The Forum mentions that NDSU claims they made the change due to new accreditation requirements. You'd think journalists would be able to easily verify that one way or the other. Unless it doesn't fit their sensationalist agenda, that is.

I don't know much about the case, but I'm very skeptical that having somebody else perform curriculum tasks for you is a "reasonable" accommodation or something that would translate to a real job.
    That was our thought around the work lunch table yesterday. Someone brought up being a surgeon: you may have the knowledge of what to do, but you also must be able to physically manipulate a scalpel. Some jobs have fundamental physical requirements that cannot be accommodated.

I will comment on this as a practicing pharmacist only, not knowing any specifics of this case.

The primary areas of pharmacy practice are community/retail pharmacy (what most think of with pharmacists), hospital (much more a day to day dispensing and collaborating with medical/nursing staff to care for patients), and clinical roles (usually managing drugs/diseases under protocol; this is what I do). For each you would need (bare minimums physical skills off the top of my head):

1. For community, you have to be able to physically manipulate items with your hands. You also need key boarding skills and ability to make/receive phone calls. You also need to be able to effectively communicate with patients.
    2. For hospital, probably very similar to number 1.
    3. For clinical roles, really more about key boarding and interacting/communicating with other health professionals and patients. You also need to be able to do this efficiently.

So, again, I know nothing of the case, but I hope all can appreciate it would be challenge for some with physical disabilities as many of these are hard to accommodate even with modern technology.

just my two cents