Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10 Best FCS Wins Over Power 5 Teams -- All-Time

Tampa area, Florida - where NDSU mines its Sunshine State talent

Default The 10 Best FCS Wins Over Power 5 Teams -- All-Time

Wondering what you all think? I think I know the answer to that, but is NDSU's Iowa win the best ever?

I did the research and we at HERO Sports posted it today. Catch us on The BrakeDown with Keith Brake on Bison1660 tomorrow.

http://herosports.com/news/fcs-footb...-james-madison
    Cover FCS nationally for HERO Sports, including recruiting coverage. My background is 5 years with The Sporting News as a national recruiting writer, and I just finished a 7-year stint selecting the PARADE All-America teams. Enjoy talking to FCS fans. Hit me up on Twitter @BrianMacWriter or on email at brian.mclaughlin@herosports.com.

Default Re: The 10 Best FCS Wins Over Power 5 Teams -- All-Time

Hard to tell until Iowa's season plays out. Right now it is probably second to App State over Michigan.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Hard to tell until Iowa's season plays out. Right now it is probably second to App State over Michigan.
    It's true. I'm not sure I thought Wazzu would be as good as they turned out last year, for instance. I thought 'ole Leach was heading to 3-9 last year but it was the other way around. Full body of work will help determine it, but if you take Iowa at face value? Two decisive wins, typically strong Big Ten program, good coach, good fans, 8-0 last year in the Big Ten regular season .... that was easily NDSU's best FBS win ever. Easily.
    Cover FCS nationally for HERO Sports, including recruiting coverage. My background is 5 years with The Sporting News as a national recruiting writer, and I just finished a 7-year stint selecting the PARADE All-America teams. Enjoy talking to FCS fans. Hit me up on Twitter @BrianMacWriter or on email at brian.mclaughlin@herosports.com.

Thought our win at KSU should also be there- KSU ended up having a good team that year and were coming off BIG 12 title.

big omission of Georgia Southern over Florida in 2013. Ga Southern was not yet FBS then

also, Maine beat Mississippi State 9-7 in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Winning is Gr8 View Post
    Thought our win at KSU should also be there- KSU ended up having a good team that year and were coming off BIG 12 title.
    Definitely a Top-10 FCS win over FBS.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winning is Gr8 View Post
    Had NDSU-KState at first for sure.

As for Maine-Mississippi State? MSU was like a 3-win team that year. VERY down.

Ga. Southern also got Florida when they were a 4-win team --- worst team in 30 years playing a 4th string quarterback. It was still a helluva win for GSU ... but not a Top 10 of all time. Remember there were some good I-AA wins in the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

I will admit though, the majority of the good FCS/I-AA wins over P5s have happened in the past 10 years. It used to be more like that Maine win, where they just got a team having a bad year. Recently it's been more like what NDSU did this weekend, what App State did, what Portland State did to Wazzu. Beating GOOD P5 teams.

Kansas State and Wake Forest used to get beaten all the time when their programs were struggling in the 1980s/early 1990s.

I don't consider App State over Michigan to be the greatest. Michigan was highly overrated.

I think KState finished 8-5 making our win legit. It remains to be seen how good Iowa is this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I don't consider App State over Michigan to be the greatest. Michigan was highly overrated.

I think KState finished 8-5 making our win legit. It remains to be seen how good Iowa is this season.
    Michigan may have been overrated at #5, but that's still what they were rated at the time. And it's hard to know how overrated they may have been. They still finished the season 9-4 with some decent wins.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post

I stole this from the article ... but I think this sums it up:

"This Michigan team was No. 5 in the AP poll when they played in the season opener in 2007, and it went on to finish 9-4 with wins over Heisman winner Tim Tebow's Florida team (which won national titles in 2006 and 2008) and also a Top 10 Penn State team. It also throttled Notre Dame 38-0 that year. Bottom line? This was a very strong Michigan team."