Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So what did you think of Iowa City?

Default Re: So what did you think of Iowa City?

We stayed at the Comfort Suites, Coralville. Was surprised to see the UNI Dome a block from our motel, it looked nicer than I had imagined though.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    I liked college street in down town. would be fun place to go pre/post game to hang out on nice fall days. the walk back there sucked but whatever. do what you gotta do. They make their drinks strong, unlike places in Ames.

Stadium was whatever, nice, not ZOMG...always thought the Childrens hospital and water tower over looking it(our seats didnt face the water tower but I know about it) were unique looks and gives it it's own little character. Glad our seats had nobody in front of us, Im 6'4 and have sat @ Nebraskas Memorial stadium...not comfortable at all, and Iowas is just the same.

Tailgating was a huge fizzle. not that I didnt have fun...but i was expecting house parties, music, invites........and all we got was families, parking lots in yards and small gatherings. Ended up in the donors with our group of NDSU fans. Plenty of Iowa fans came up and talked who were nice...including the guy who lives in Fargo and went to UI. nice guy.

Shitters were being cleaned up during tailgate from last weeks game. So that smelled lovely, well done Iowa.

Sushi restaurant inside the hotelVetro was money. Brothers was packed with NDSU fans on Saturday night...cool vibe with it being out doors...Drive home felt shorter due to the win, so that helped.

Id rank the experience as a whole:

Colorado St
    Kansas St/Iowa
    Iowa St
    Minnesota
    Kansas

Sorry the house parties weren't better. I've only seen them for the Iowa State game . . . later in the day . . . and a pretty crazy scene.

Pumping out the portapotties during the tailgates. That's a new one. I'd like to think that I made a significant contribution to your discomfort!
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post

We stayed at the Comfort Suites, Coralville. Was surprised to see the UNI Dome a block from our motel, it looked nicer than I had imagined though.

Makes sense. Your vision must have been affected by how much you guys got your heads knocked around the last time in Cedar Falls.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Downtown Iowa City was great and a nice walkable area. Iowa fans were awesome and had nothing but good things to say both Friday night and after the game. Lot's of big house parties down Melrose looked like college kids or frats, but lot's of hot chicks that's for sure. Great seats even in the 73rd row.
    The only thing that really sucked was Sprint service. I had almost no phone all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonAccountant44 View Post
    Manhattan>Ames>Iowa City.

I didn't make it to Kansas or Colorado St. and I'm not including Minneapolis because we did it 3 times and I'm here everyday.
    How is Ames>Iowa City? The city of Ames blows ass compared to either Manhattan or IC. If we are talking about tailgating, fine, ISU has a way better scene than Iowa. Ames is one of the worst P5 college town I've been to...just seemed very ho-hum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    Downtown Iowa City was great and a nice walkable area. Iowa fans were awesome and had nothing but good things to say both Friday night and after the game. Lot's of big house parties down Melrose looked like college kids or frats, but lot's of hot chicks that's for sure. Great seats even in the 73rd row.
    The only thing that really sucked was Sprint service. I had almost no phone all weekend.
    Wait, where did you see house parties with college kids? I only saw houses around the stadium with older people and young kids. We specifically brought shots to offer to people that looked like they could use one...and we literally found no one. Insanely underwhelmed with the tailgating scene.

Downtown was a different story. I loved the city...the atmosphere on the ped mall, etc. Just not really what I expected for Iowa.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

10 portajohns for NDSU tailgating was terrible.

Schools we are visiting just never understand how many people we will bring, I swear.

Green1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedYellow View Post
    10 portajohns for NDSU tailgating was terrible.

Schools we are visiting just never understand how many people we will bring, I swear.

This^

Make sure to put them all in one spot so that people tailgating behind the school had a quarter mile walk to use one. Lots of bushes got watered at that school.

Didn't get to enjoy the actual city much as I stayed in Cedar Falls friday and Minneapolis Saturday but the stadium was actually quite underwhelming and disappointing. I was really hoping for a loud fun college atmosphere but left disappointed. Tailgating scene was cool and definitely unique. Stadium architecture was neat. Loved the brick arches underneath the stands. As far overall environment of Kinnick it was equal to Iowa State in my opinion. Iowa City seemed like 100x the town of Ames however.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post

hahahahaha. this is priceless

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    How is Ames>Iowa City? The city of Ames blows ass compared to either Manhattan or IC. If we are talking about tailgating, fine, ISU has a way better scene than Iowa. Ames is one of the worst P5 college town I've been to...just seemed very ho-hum.

Wait, where did you see house parties with college kids? I only saw houses around the stadium with older people and young kids. We specifically brought shots to offer to people that looked like they could use one...and we literally found no one. Insanely underwhelmed with the tailgating scene.

Downtown was a different story. I loved the city...the atmosphere on the ped mall, etc. Just not really what I expected for Iowa.
    If someone was looking for student house parties, they'd be far more likely on the other side of the river, such as down Dodge Street. That's much more the undergrad side of down, while the Kinnick side of the river is more grad students, medical students, residents, and faculty types, with some exceptions, obviously.

Glad that folks generally enjoyed the trip. Its been a nice little nostalgia trip for me to hear the stories!