Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Might as well get the argument started.

Default Re: Might as well get the argument started.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The FFD wouldnt be an issue to start. You could get a waiver for x amount of years while you make things happen. With the announcement of a move up there would be a huge push to get it done in the amount of time allotted. This way there wouldnt be donor burn out over a project that would take years to get done.

But considering the college landscape I was not surprised by these quotes. They have been said before so I dont understand why people wont believe them.-------

"""""However, Larsen said the FCS has been a good home for NDSU football and doesn't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

"It's serves our program well," Larsen said. "It serves our fan base well. We have a chance to compete for a national championship."

Larsen added it's way too early to tell what a Group of 5 playoff would look like if it ever came to fruition, and how a move like that would affect the college football landscape.

"There are so many things that have to be figured out before they can even head in that direction," Larsen said. "We'll obviously keep an eye on it.""""""

So when it happens it happens.
    I just would not have phrased it like Larson even though I think he is saying the same thing. I would have said, "We just need to see how all this shakes out. We think we will be in FCS for the foreseeable future, but if major changes happen, we will be ready." I think the way he is quoted makes many of us nervous NDSU is back in D2 mentality with a president terrified to make waves.

Seriously, that the conversation is even happening should make Larson do the happy dance, and he did not come off that way, nor did he reiterate the policy of being at the second level. Even within FBS, this would be the second level if he likes it or not and they had better not use that as an excuse which is what I am worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I just would not have phrased it like Larson even though I think he is saying the same thing. I would have said, "We just need to see how all this shakes out. We think we will be in FCS for the foreseeable future, but if major changes happen, we will be ready." I think the way he is quoted makes many of us nervous NDSU is back in D2 mentality with a president terrified to make waves.

Seriously, that the conversation is even happening should make Larson do the happy dance, and he did not come off that way.
    I think you are trying to read more in to it thats not there. I thought he was pretty clear in what he said. Doing the happy dance would just muddy up the waters and make some here think something is in the works.

Clear, concise and to the point. Leave no room for interpretation.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I think you are trying to read more in to it thats not there. I thought he was pretty clear in what he said.
    I hope so, Pat. And yes, I know you are probably right on this. Just all the crap with the Prez recently scares me that it will make NDSU go backward.

I think you are trying to read more in to it thats not there. I thought he was pretty clear in what he said.
    Based on the rumblings I am hearing from some top-shelf donors there is discussion. I think ML said it best a lot has to shake out before nayone can make a rational choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Based on the rumblings I am hearing from some top-shelf donors there is discussion. I think ML said it best a lot has to shake out before nayone can make a rational choice.
    Of course there is discussion. GT had some of the big boys to the dance a few years back and stated so.

psssss-keep it on the down low. Remember---they arent doing anything
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I hope so, Pat. And yes, I know you are probably right on this. Just all the crap with the Prez recently scares me that it will make NDSU go backward.
    NDSU is not going to go backwards. They will keep abreast of Div I Football, pretty much like what Larson said. P5 schools will continue to rule. In time, G5 schools may get financially serious and in some way break away and gather top FCS schools. Adopt policies to make money, which should of been in the game plan all along. And, create a playoff system that draws interest. Many unknowns here and also which FCS teams that could be? In the mean time interested FCS schools, with ambitions of moving up, should financially plan.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The FFD wouldnt be an issue to start. You could get a waiver for x amount of years while you make things happen. With the announcement of a move up there would be a huge push to get it done in the amount of time allotted. This way there wouldnt be donor burn out over a project that would take years to get done.

But considering the college landscape I was not surprised by these quotes. They have been said before so I dont understand why people wont believe them.-------

"""""However, Larsen said the FCS has been a good home for NDSU football and doesn't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

"It's serves our program well," Larsen said. "It serves our fan base well. We have a chance to compete for a national championship."

Larsen added it's way too early to tell what a Group of 5 playoff would look like if it ever came to fruition, and how a move like that would affect the college football landscape.

"There are so many things that have to be figured out before they can even head in that direction," Larsen said. "We'll obviously keep an eye on it.""""""

So when it happens it happens.
    Idaho tried the move up first and then hope for the best routine and it failed. When they first moved up they played at Washington State's Martin Stadium for 4 or 5 years (maybe longer?) It actually worked pretty good as they were able to host big schools there and had good attendance. However, nothing ever materialized with the Kibbie Dome expansion so they started playing again in Moscow, sucked ass, and well you know the rest of the story. Now, with that said, their building seats about 15,000 and they have NEVER sold it out outside of Boise coming to town. That thing was built in the 60's and it is remarkable to say that but it shows the level of support there.

Personally, I am a proponent of expanding the dome to seat 25k with room left to expand by 5k. Yes it would cost just as much as building new, and yes we would likely lose at least 1 year of home games but in the long run its worth it. If you build new, then what? We now have an empty dome sitting on campus for the next 50 years. It still has to be upkept, heated, etc. The only other feasable option would be to build a new one in west parking lot and tear down the dome after.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Do I have to row this boat?

Lardsin must go!

I hear some Bison fans saying that UND moving to our conferences should be the final nail in the coffin for moving to FBS. Lets, for the sake of argument, throw out all the facts about needing money and a conference invite to do so. Do you realize how crazy you sound? You sound like, or at least giving the impression to und fans, that you are afraid of und being in the conference because they will be successful. That may or may not be true. But come on. Is "Bring on the Competition" not a thing anymore? It's time to get over yourselves about what und administrators did over a decade ago who aren't even there anymore. Their fans sucked then and do now so who cares what they said then or say now. I look at this a an opportunity to further kick their ass more often. Time to get off the FBS train kids.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I hear some Bison fans saying that UND moving to our conferences should be the final nail in the coffin for moving to FBS. Lets, for the sake of argument, throw out all the facts about needing money and a conference invite to do so. Do you realize how crazy you sound? You sound like, or at least giving the impression to und fans, that you are afraid of und being in the conference because they will be successful. That may or may not be true. But come on. Is "Bring on the Competition" not a thing anymore? It's time to get over yourselves about what und administrators did over a decade ago who aren't even there anymore. Their fans sucked then and do now so who cares what they said then or say now. I look at this a an opportunity to further kick their ass more often. Time to get off the FBS train kids.
    "Bring on the competition" would seem to indicate that when the MVFC starts getting watered down NDSU should look for better competition elsewhere instead of wallowing in mediocrity as they did in the 90's. It's not a matter of "being afraid". It's a desire to leave them behind for good because it's been a good thing for NDSU. I for one don't miss the rivalry, as mentioned in another thread it's not really very fun it's just toxic.

But yeah, I don't think there's any chance of FBS happening anytime soon. This next round of budget cuts could be painful and makes any talk of moving up political suicide. The only thing that could prompt it would be the great P5/G5 shakeout which doesn't seem as likely now as it did a couple years ago.